oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,300 IQ

Well, after driving around for the better part of two hours trying to find the Guitar Center that this cab was at, I finally got it. I was holding off on the NAD until I had everything.

Anyway, block letter 5150 on top of an old 1960a (labeled JCM800 Lead series, 300w handling at 16 ohms). I really like the sound of the Celestion T75s with the 5150. Interestingly, the mid scoop on the T75 helps keep the 5150 from being too boxy sounding (which it was with non-Mesa V30s, I found). Low end is very tight, as is to be expected, and it is, needless to say, louder than hell. The brightness of the T75s also help bring out the bite from the top end that 5150s usually don't have, since they're voiced fairly darkly and aren't, well, known for having a ton of bite. Grind, yes, but high end bite? Not with V30s.

I know Vintage 30s are the usual go-to for metal, but if you have a 5150 or a 6505, do yourself a favor and look at a Marshall 1960a. They're wicked cheap used (I paid about 350 for mine and they do go cheaper) and they sound excellent, especially if you're going for anything resembling the Gothenburg sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Remnest
974 IQ
Very nice grab, HNGD
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Sakke
Chaser of 'Tone'
909 IQ
Nice halfstack, HNGD!

Btw, nice bike too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
very nice.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
oneblackened
3,300 IQ
Quote by Sakke
Nice halfstack, HNGD!

Btw, nice bike too.

Not mine, it's my dad's old racing bike
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I like T75's too, you just need a few of them. If you ever get a chance try 6 or 8 of them, it's pretty good.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
oneblackened
3,300 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
I like T75's too, you just need a few of them. If you ever get a chance try 6 or 8 of them, it's pretty good.

HNAD

I'm really digging a quad of them. I need a tubescreamer and a noise gate to really get this amp to sing though, it hisses like mad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Try a JJ ECC803 in V1. They're low noise. Should tame the hiss a tad. Or a Telefunken ECC803 if you have a few hundred dollars to waste.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 15, 2013,
Slap-happy
994 IQ
Hngd.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
oneblackened
3,300 IQ
Quote by Slap-happy
Hngd.

Thanks dude

Quote by Cathbard
Try a JJ ECC803 in V1. They're low noise. Should tame the hiss a tad. Or a Telefunken ECC803 if you have a few hundred dollars to waste.

It's got decent (Mesa branded whatevers) tubes in there now, I'm not gonna replace them til they need to be.
Unemployed college kid here, y'know?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
Thanks dude

It's got decent (Mesa branded whatevers) tubes in there now, I'm not gonna replace them til they need to be.
Unemployed college kid here, y'know?

Mesa branded tubes are not really decent tubes. A JJ ECC803 will cost you about $20 and should help considerably.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
nice
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
The brightness of the T75s also help bring out the bite from the top end that 5150s usually don't have, since they're voiced fairly darkly and aren't, well, known for having a ton of bite. Grind, yes, but high end bite? Not with V30s.

I've never once experienced this with any of the 5150s I've owned. Well... at least with V30s.

Always heard the 5150 described as "dark," but I dunno what those people are talking about, cause I generally hate "dark" amps, and the 5150 is probably my favorite amp ever made. Maybe people are just using "dark" sounding guitars/pickups

Regardless, HNGD. I know you got some pretty nice scores on these! Get some aftermarket lettering and put the 5150 back on that grille though, looks totally wrong with that silver grille and nothing else!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
iheartgun
UG's user of common sense
1,679 IQ
nice scores!! HN5150D!!!!!
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
lose the silver grate and put a plexi one there.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
oneblackened
3,300 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've never once experienced this with any of the 5150s I've owned. Well... at least with V30s.

Always heard the 5150 described as "dark," but I dunno what those people are talking about, cause I generally hate "dark" amps, and the 5150 is probably my favorite amp ever made. Maybe people are just using "dark" sounding guitars/pickups

Regardless, HNGD. I know you got some pretty nice scores on these! Get some aftermarket lettering and put the 5150 back on that grille though, looks totally wrong with that silver grille and nothing else!

Yeah, I'll get on that soon

It's not so much dark as it is low mid-focused... which I suppose could make people think it's dark sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden