I'm looking for a new guitar. I'm just starting out, so I don't need a $4,000 Gibson, or something. I currently have a Telecaster, but it doesn't sound right for the type of music I want to play that being, mostly '80s rock, such as Van Halen, Def Leppard, Scorpions, and the like. I have a budget of around $400. I would prefer a tremolo, but it isn't necessary. The amp I currently have is a Fender Frontman. I'm pretty sure it's a 15-watt amp, but not completely certain.
I think that for the music style stated you should get a humbucker equipped guitar. I would go for something like an Epiphone Les paul. If you want more versatility you can also look for a HSS strat.

You should stay away from trems in that price area as these are not good at all and wear down fast. An exeption would be Ibanez S series, these are known to have decent trems but I've never played one of these myself so I can't be sure on that.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
I would go for a G&L Tribute series guitar. They make some great ones that come with Schaller trem arms and are great for the money. IMO they're much better then Mexi-Fender, Epiphone, or any other '2nd' tier from a major brand name. Check them out.
G&L do have some excellent humbucker-equipped fat strats and telecasters. For '80s rock, I think SGs are great. Epiphone makes high-end SG Customs and the like. Or you could go for a genuine Gibson SG, a Faded or Studio or something. A Les Paul is another good option, but you're not going to find one with a trem. You can get the SG Custom from Epiphone with a trem, but it's a Maestro trem or something weird.

Your best bet is probably a MIJ Ibanez. If you were in my area, I'd totally sell you my Heartfield Talon 1 with dimarzio pickups, it's perfect for '80s hair metal. Heartfield guitars can be had for around 300 bucks.
I've heard some good things about Steinbergers. Would they be a good choice, or is there "too much for me," so to say?
I like them, but they're...quirky. Because of that, you really want one of their better guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 15, 2013,
you want a superstrat. with a bridge humbucker.

better amp wouldn't hurt either, but not really worth splitting your budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you want a superstrat. with a bridge humbucker.

better amp wouldn't hurt either, but not really worth splitting your budget.

+1

Not exactly a traditional superstrat, but an Ibanez S420 (or S320) is one of, if not the cheapest guitar you can get that has a really good trem. I have one and I highly recommend it, if you want to do tremolo acrobatics in that budget, seriously look into it.

EDIT: Of course, if you can get your hands on an old RG5** of course that would be a great way to go too. The original Edge is almost certainly a better trem for 80's stuff than the ZR.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 16, 2013,
I remember when I had a Frontman. It was the first amp I bought with my first money. I traded that plus a little money for a valveking 212.

Myself, I do the same, either a LP, or an HSS strat. HSS strats are awesome you can play any type of music. Including Metal.
Quote by Offworld92
+1

Not exactly a traditional superstrat, but an Ibanez S420 (or S320) is one of, if not the cheapest guitar you can get that has a really good trem. I have one and I highly recommend it, if you want to do tremolo acrobatics in that budget, seriously look into it.

EDIT: Of course, if you can get your hands on an old RG5** of course that would be a great way to go too. The original Edge is almost certainly a better trem for 80's stuff than the ZR.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How about an opinion on the PRS SE Custom 22? I've heard nothing but good things about them and they're relatively cheap.
If you're going to be doing divebombing or anything like that, then no.

You can get locking tuners, but IMO that still doesn't come close to the stability of a properly set up FR.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yeah. and also the trem doesn't really react in the same way as a floyd does. I've read john suhr saying that the locking nut does that, the pitch changes much more quickly with a floyd, which lends itself to those crazy 80s tricks better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?