Hey guys,

I will replace the neck and bridge pick up on my jackson DK2FS. I'm set on the neck pick up, I will put a tone zone in it.

For the bridge I had a couple of ideas but I don't want the same pick up in different guitars.

I was wondering how is the Dimarzio Dactivator bridge? looks interesting and powerfull.

I'm after a very powerfull sound that is a the same time full and corrosive. So lots of treb but I dont want the sound to be tight. lots of bass and mids too.

I open to other suggestions, just dont suggest an Evolution or an X2N, I'll have some in my other guitars soon. I would like to keep the price of my bridge pick up under 100$ and I live in Canada
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Tone Zone neck = overkill.

Try a Super Distortion + 36th Anniversary PAF combo maybe.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I agree that a Tone Zone in the neck is a very unusual choice. It's very likely that it will completely overbear and over-output your bridge pickup. But it may work if you have it set really really low down.

Honestly from what you described it sounds like a Tone Zone would be what you want in the bridge.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Let's start out from rhe beginning.

What genres do you play?

What are some songs you would like to sound like?

What are you using for an amp?

What pickups are in your guitars?

What inspired you to want at tz in tne neck slot?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Concurring with the opinion that a Tone Zone is prolly mega hyper overkill for the neck. Bridge it would work nicely.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
People seem to have a love/hate relationship with tone zone. I have one on a 3550 ibby prestige and it came factory. I like it. However i also have a 2570evsl and i put a crunch lab in it. I like the m both, but i like the crunch lab better.

I still don't think that a tz would be best in the neck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Already have my tone zone in the neck and I love it, it is indeed very strong but that is what I was after.

My amp is a Blackstart Ht stage 100.
Hard to give exemples of what sound I want. It needs to do 80s thrash (Kreator, Dark Angel, Death Angel), needs to be able to hit some "Vai"-ish tone, some Dream Theater and Opeth tone and it just need to be very full sounding.
If it can do jazz and blues too it would be nice but that is not mandatory.

I'm also playing in E flat (half step down).
Was also wondering about the Dimarzio D sonic, but I think it has not enough High end for me
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
You're not gonna find something that can keep up with the Tone Zone in the neck. That pickup is a high output bridge pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
You're not gonna find something that can keep up with the Tone Zone in the neck. That pickup is a high output bridge pickup.

Looks like I go custom make then. BTW, my Tone Zone is the single coil size one which is just a bit less powerfull than the full size one
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Check out the Super Distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Check out the Super Distortion.

I will, I'm also thinikng of putting a TZ in the bridge too, but I don't know if it will be strong enough
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
You can always adjust pickup heights if need be to get a good output balance between the two.

That being said, if I was using a TZ in the neck, I would be considering the hottest stuff DiMarzio makes for the bridge, like an X2N, or D-Activator X. Maybe give the latter a try, since you said you don't want an X2N.

The Super Distortion is awesome, but isn't too much hotter than a TZ output-wise, so you might have to set your TZ height pretty low if you want to try the two out.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
The Tone Zone S's output is rated at 300mV. The Tone Zone's (humbucker) is rated at 375 mV. Considering the most popular pairing of the humbucker version is the Air Norton (270mV) you need around 400 mV pickup to keep the "balance" (I might be wrong though).

That being said the Super Distortion (425mV) would do just that. Now, you said the D Sonic (390mV) didn't have enough high end so I'd say you try the Super 2 (400mV) which is very similar to the Super Distortion but the EQ is reversed to favor high end. The D Activator at 470 mV might overpower your TZS.

For the Vaish/Dream Theater needs the Evolution (404 mV) and the Crunch Lab (410 mV) are supposed to get you near them respectively. Although the Crunch Lab is relatively new, Petrucci used other pickups (D-Sonic and Steve's Special) for most of the DT albums.

So many options dude, if I were in your place I'd go Super 2 or Steve's Special.
I've found the Dimarzio mV ratings are not a very good to go by for output. Some of their pickups in the early 300mV ratings are as hot as their 420mV ones. It get's weirder with the noiseless singles, I found the Area 67 (120mV)to overpower a Cruiser bridge(143mV) at the same height settings.

To pair up with the ToneZone S i'd look into the Crunch Lab instead of the D-Sonic and the Super 3. The bridge position is usually treblier compared to the rest so I'd be more concerned with the bass & mid frequencies if it were me.
To pair up with the ToneZone S i'd look into the Crunch Lab instead of the D-Sonic and the Super 3. The bridge position is usually treblier compared to the rest so I'd be more concerned with the bass & mid frequencies if it were me.

Ok thanks, many people recommended me the Crunch lab, I'll take a look too
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100