Hey, I'm an avid guitar player, usually playing an hour or so a day, mostly fast metal stuff (but not exclusively).

However, from about one week ago to a week today, I'm unable to have access to an electric guitar... And I know I'm probably being stupid, but I'm worried about my skill level dropping, especially since I play in a metal band.

It's probably just paranoia, but does anyone know whether this will affect skill level? thanks very much!
You might be a little rusty when you pick it up again but you should be fine after a little bit.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
That's nothing.

I stopped for 10 years when I was too busy working and GF stuff, I could still play almost as good after about a month with a guitar.
you'll be fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tempoe
That's nothing.

I stopped for 10 years when I was too busy working and GF stuff, I could still play almost as good after about a month with a guitar.

That's one long shift.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tempoe
That's nothing.

How tricky was the stuff you were playing? I'm just nervous as my band's in the process of a competition, and I'm not wanting to let anyone down with poor shred
Dont worry about it. Sometimes a short break is a good thing too. At worst you have some rust but a good warmup and some practice and it should be all gone.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Wow. You seriously need to chill.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MaaZeus
Dont worry about it. Sometimes a short break is a good thing too. At worst you have some rust but a good warmup and some practice and it should be all gone.

Cheers dude appreciate it. Just not used to this much time away, haha!
Your skill level won't drop. And even if it did, things that you have learned once are easy to relearn. And also, it wouldn't drop so much that you could notice it.

You could compare it to riding a bike or swimming skills. You won't lose them even if you don't ride your bike or swim that often.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
think of it this way...your true skill level is what you're left with even after you take a break from guitar. if you lose stuff in a week, you haven't internalized it well enough yet.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
You'll be fine technique wise, you will just have to build back up your speed. I find if I take a couple days off I will have a little trouble getting back to the speed I was at until the 2nd practice session after taking the break
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I was off for a month. I was up north and just did not touch a guitar. I got home and had a bad time of it, I was so rusty stage fright was on the way. I put life on hold and played five hours a day. My skills came back in a few weeks, all is well. You will be fine too, just get tuff with yourself.
Quote by kevinpaul
I was off for a month. I was up north and just did not touch a guitar. I got home and had a bad time of it, I was so rusty stage fright was on the way. I put life on hold and played five hours a day. My skills came back in a few weeks, all is well. You will be fine too, just get tuff with yourself.

As long as a few weeks?
I stopped playing for about 3 months a couple of years back, after about 3 days I was back on track. And every couple of months I tend to take a week or two off and I regain lost ground in literally like half an hour.

EDIT: I think it varies from person to person really. I know a guy who claims to have completely lost the ability to play a lick that he was practicing at any reasonable speed after 2 days of not playing, but I think he was very much exaggerating.
Last edited by Tommat at Jul 16, 2013,
Your skill kind of depends on the day. One day I can play pretty fast and clean but the next day the same part sounds really sloppy. It has nothing to do with breaks or anything. Some days are better and some are worse. Sometimes a break makes you play better.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
i took 8 years off to get married, have kids and get divorced.

i could have done it in six.

my skills came back pretty fast with practice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You'll never be any good at guitar unless you start playing something different than stupid metal crap. Use the break to open your ears to some decent music.
Quote by SomeBlueKind
You'll never be any good at guitar unless you start playing something different than stupid metal crap. Use the break to open your ears to some decent music.

some blue kind of pill perhaps?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by SomeBlueKind

First off, don't diss metal. Decent metal is clever, can be thought provoking, innovative and technically proficient. For example, my favourite metal band, rage against the machine.

Secondly, I never said I just listen to metal music. In fact, blues is my favourite genre. Jack White, Seasick Steve, Lightning Hopkins, etc. But I play metal in my band because I don't listen to it much, and my metal sounds different to anyone else's. Okay, the track on FB sounds a bit generic, but that was a trial a year ago when I first started the band. Or my friend did.
I just meant metal was the hardest thing I play, so I'm naturally most worried about losing the ability in that.

Lastly, actually why do you feel the need to hijack a pleasant atmosphere in a thread like that? :/ people can have different opinions from you, there's no need for negativity...
Last edited by Paddynbob at Jul 16, 2013,