Hey Everyone, I have a few questions on how to start recording and to have my own small home studio soon. I mainly want to get into it just so I can do my own recordings of myself making music not really record any bands, just for myself is all.

Here are my questions.

1. What is the proper equiptment for recording/Home studio? (What to start out with)

2. What type of software is mainly use for recording? (For Tracking)

3. What type of tools do you use to have for better tones for Guitar, bass, drums, vocals, etc?

I'm not trying to stay in a budget or anything, I mainly would like all the infomation I can please get from y'all. Much is very appreciated. Thank you!
All of this is covered in the Interfaces sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Wow yeah, let's just remove the 'discussion' element of 'discussion forum' entirely and just create a static webpage!

Everyone can have their identikit Focusrite/Reaper/LePou rigs and it'll all be very jolly because everyone has exactly the same needs and expectations.
Or they could go for one of the other recommendations.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Or they could go for one of the other recommendations.

Not everyone wants the same gear.....even if it is 'recommended'
I imagine that everyone will want to use a different DAW
So I started recording not long ago and here's what I've learned and what gear I use. I started making somewhat high-quality recordings for about $100 give or take...and a SIGNIFICANT amount of time and research.

I use Ardour (open source download) as my DAW, with a Behringer Xenyx 302 USB ($50) as my USB audio interface. The Behringer device is an awesome piece of machinery because it allows you to record your music and then mix and monitor the playback all for $50. It's not going to give you professional level recording, but for $50 it's a good place to start. When I record, I either plug my guitar directly into the port on the mixer, record, and then do the same on a separate track for vocals...OR....I plug all instruments or band members into my Harbinger 60W PA ($200) and run an auxiliary cord from the record output on that to my mixer. It takes a little fiddling with the gain and volume levels to make sure you don't overload the mixer or record at too low a volume.

Now here's the issue I've run into: I don't have a great recording environment, so I often get white noise in my recordings, and trust me there is nothing more irritating than white noise in a recording. This isn't as much an issue with my guitar (because I'm not using a mic) as it is with vocals. I'm still having issues finding the balance between too much gain and not enough for my mic, since I don't have a soundproof area for vocals. Also, a pop filter is a MUST for vocal recording...unless you want a bunch of B's and P's sticking out like a sore thumb in your recording.

I know that was a lot of info, but if you have anymore questions I'm happy to help. I've spent a lot of time researching home recording because I'm in a similar situation as you are. I'm kind of on a limited budget so my suggestions may not meet your needs...but I hope that helped!
Fender Standard Strat HSS
La Patrie Presentation
Breedlove C250/ef
Sennheiser e835

I AM THE AXE SHREDDER...
Quote by Highelf04
Not everyone wants the same gear.....even if it is 'recommended'
I imagine that everyone will want to use a different DAW

So someone comes here asking for recommendations because they don't know what they're doing, we provide recommendations & they decide they know better and choose something else....?

OK.

The sticky exists because when it comes to a complete newbie, the answers are almost always going to be the same. First you need to choose between a PC based setup or using a standalone multitracker as your DAW. That is discussed in the sticky.

If you choose a multitracker there are numerous recommendations for all budgets & levels of ambition in the sticky.

If you choose a PC based setup there are recommendations for all budgets & levels of ambition in the sticky.

Also, if you choose a PC based setup you will require the relevant software. Anybody asking how to get started is not likely to want to buy Pro Tools. Reaper is suggested because it is a comprehensive package, providing everything most people will need from their DAW at a bargain basement price. Also, most of the regulars here know how to use it so they can provide assistance when required.

Nobody is forcing new guys to follow the advice in the sticky, however when someone is asking for recommendations, those recommendations are likely to be the same every time. Directing people to the sticky saves us from having to type out those same recommendations (and the justification for those recommendations) each & every time someone new comes in here.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jul 17, 2013,
I would just like to point out we did have a more comparison based interfaces thread that got shot down in favor of the interfaces thread. So maybe people like their identikits?
I know DisarmGoliath is working on an updated Recording Resources thread that will incorporate and improve upon all the information in the current sticky, but at the end of the day recommended equipment is usually recommended for a reason - because it's the best option in it's price range.

However you look at it, the sticky exists to answer basic questions like this one. If it wasn't there, we'd end up typing the same answers to these questions on a daily basis.

Recommendations for recording equipment is different to other equipment, it's far more objective. Once someone has decided between using multitracker or a PC based solution, the main question is their budget. Once a budget is set, there is usually one best solution which can be answered by a sticky.

To compare this to other equipment, with guitars the first decision is acoustic or electric (for purposes of this post, compare that to the multitracker/PC decision). Following that, you set a budget. At that point there isn't just a single answer, everything is subjective and far more personal due to the options available.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Generally the idea is that we send people to read the sticky and THEN if they still have questions we're happy to answer them. Considering that most of the people giving the advice are extremely happy with their focusrite interfaces... well we're always gonna recommend them, because we know they're damn good for the price.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
F**K STICKIES!

For god's sake, there's enough resources out there on the internet already that do a better job.
This isn't exactly a busy forum as it is, so why you all want to water it down further baffles me. If someone posts with a common question, just link em to a few suitable articles online or take the time to write a decent reply.
I feel sorry for the TS at the moment, we've kind of threadjacked him a little for our own personal bitchfight. Maybe we should move ourselves to the chat thread for this?

In response to the OP:
1. You need an interface of some sort (need more info as to what you're recording to be more specific than that). You may need a microphone depending on what instruments your recording (Bass and Electric Guitar can be done without one). You also need some form of monitoring, for the budget minded this means studio headphones, because monitors are expensive.
2. That would be a Digital Audio Workstation, or DAW. The most commonly known one is Pro Tools, but that is expensive and I hear it's not easy to learn to begin with. Which DAW you get will depend on your workflow so I suggest finding trials for as many as possible. Some DAWs include REAPER, Cubase, Studio One, Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton Live, Mixcraft, Garageband, and Sony Acid Music Studio, but there are others.
3. That would be VST plugins. There are ones that simulate amps and cabinets, ones that apply EQ, ones that reduce and increase dynamic range, add effects, and pretty much anything else you can think of.
OK then, as you've given your opinion heres mine:

1. For home recording, a decent multitracker will do everything you need, most even include high quality drum machines that can also synthesise a baseline. You will also need a microphone, a Large Diaphragm Condenser is a good option, however many people find an SM57 to be the most versatile.
2. Software is not required.
3. To get better tone for your guitar, buy a better guitar and amp.

Quote by kyle62
F**K STICKIES!

For god's sake, there's enough resources out there on the internet already that do a better job.
This isn't exactly a busy forum as it is, so why you all want to water it down further baffles me. If someone posts with a common question, just link em to a few suitable articles online or take the time to write a decent reply.

Suitable online articles? You mean like the interfaces sticky which does a perfectly good job of answering the most common questions?

F**k writing out the same answers every time.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud