Hello I'm new here so please excuse me if this is the wrong spot but, I recently acquired an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro but I'm not happy with the tone right out of the box so I was wondering if anyone could suggest some nice pick ups that I could put on them. Along with that if there's anything else you think I should switch out suggestions are always appreciated. I'm mainly looking to cover bands that sound like All Time Low and on occasion Blink-182.
Thanks!
I know Jack uses Seymour Duncans, but I can't remember the models.

Alex uses stock PRS pickups in his Miras I think.

I believe the Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 would suit nicely.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
I know Jack uses Seymour Duncans, but I can't remember the models.

Alex uses stock PRS pickups in his Miras I think.

I believe the Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 would suit nicely.

Thank you I really appreciate your help, I need to find a decent amp as well. I'm sort of new to all of this guitar stuff as you could probably already tell.
Also what do I do about the neck pickups? Or do I just order two Seymour Duncan JB SH-4's and put one on the bridge and one on the neck?
So am I supposed to put two of the same pickups on the guitar? (Like Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 on both neck and bridge)
I have Seymour Duncan JBs i'm happy with them they really are pretty good at everything (atleast for me with H-S-S)

I play some Offspring the occasional Blink 182, Greenday grew up with that stuff seems to sound pretty good to me.

I've heard a lot about Dimarzio super distortion for punk ( I think its called)
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Last edited by UFC on VHS at Jul 16, 2013,
The JB is commonly paired with the sh-2n Jazz or the sh-1n 59 in the neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't know exactly what gear ATL uses, but the Seymour Duncan JB(bridge)/Jazz(neck) set is really nice. I have the same set in my Epiphone and it's great for that kind of stuff.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by JELIFISH19
What amp are you using?

Please answer this.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I had a Fender Mustang 2 amp for a bit however I returned it after having some issues with it, so if anyone has suggestions for a new amp that isn't too spendy that would be great.
It's far more likely that the problem is your amp. Change about the settings before spending money switching out pickups, because I'm pretty sure the stock Epiphones will do the job.

What is your budget for an amp?
Where are you located?
Is used OK for you?
Do you gig or jam with other people?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hoping to keep the amp cost under $500, from Tri-Cities, WA and I'd prefer a new one but used isn't completely out, I don't gig as of right now but I would like to in the future with a few friends and we do jam right now.
Last edited by Ninryoku at Jul 18, 2013,
Quote by Ninryoku
So am I supposed to put two of the same pickups on the guitar? (Like Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 on both neck and bridge)

Mixing and matching is perfectly fine. Beyond typical combinations of HSS (a humbucker with 2 singlecoils) and HSH (2 humbuckers with a singlecoil in the middle), there are guitars out the with humbuckers in the bridge and a P90 in the neck*, a P90 in the bridge with a pair of singlecoils, and so forth.

It's all about the sounds you want to achieve. The only real questions are do they fit the routing in your guitar's body AND achieve that tone you want.

* I'm personally getting a custom made guitar with that option, and converting another guitar I already have to that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Mixing and matching is perfectly fine. Beyond typical combinations of HSS (a humbucker with 2 singlecoils) and HSH (2 humbuckers with a singlecoil in the middle), there are guitars out the with humbuckers in the bridge and a P90 in the neck*, a P90 in the bridge with a pair of singlecoils, and so forth.

It's all about the sounds you want to achieve. The only real questions are do they fit the routing in your guitar's body AND achieve that tone you want.

* I'm personally getting a custom made guitar with that option, and converting another guitar I already have to that.

Thank you for this explanation. I decided to go with the JB SH-4 on the bridge and the '59 on the neck! Now I just need to find an affordable amp that will help me get that sound as well..
Look here for your amp: www.guitarcenter.co/usedgear

They have a Krank 1980 Jr for $375 and get one of the Krank 1x12 cabs for $99. I have a 1980 Jr and it is a fully gigable amp that sounds great.

You may also want to look at the Peavey Ultra 1x12/2x12 they are normally <$300

A Peavey JSX combo would be great if you can find one in your budget.

Peavey Vypyr tube 60/120 is also worth a look

You might find a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 for your budget if you look hard enough
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ninryoku
Thank you for this explanation. I decided to go with the JB SH-4 on the bridge and the '59 on the neck! Now I just need to find an affordable amp that will help me get that sound as well..

The SD '59 is one of my favorite SD pickups. I don't know the other one.

The one thing you have to watch out for is output: if the pickups have differing outputs, they can be difficult to get the output balance properly balanced between them. Difficult, not impossible.

I almost made that mistake once when ordering some high end pickups, but the guy I was corresponding with about the project caught my error.

Look at their specs, or drop them a line and ask.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly

They have a Krank 1980 Jr for $375 and get one of the Krank 1x12 cabs for $99. I have a 1980 Jr and it is a fully gigable amp that sounds great.

You might find a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 for your budget if you look hard enough

Thanks I'll be sure to look into all of those
Quote by Robbgnarly

Which of these do you think would give me the best Pop-Punk sound? I was looking at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 Modeling Combo Amp and was liking it however I couldn't find an example of anyone playing ATL, Blink-182 or anything of that sort on one so I'm not really sure.
Honestly, the Krank 1980 Jr, the JSX or the Ultra

I have a Krank 1980 Jr 20watt and I use it for playing Punk/Hardcore, but I love Lagwagon, The Descendants, No Use for a Name type music and the 1980 can do it just fine.

It is loud enough to gig with also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Honestly, the Krank 1980 Jr, the JSX or the Ultra

I have a Krank 1980 Jr 20watt and I use it for playing Punk/Hardcore, but I love Lagwagon, The Descendants, No Use for a Name type music and the 1980 can do it just fine.

It is loud enough to gig with also

Alright thanks I'll probably take that suggestion
There is 2 Peavey Ultra 1x12 combos for $269 and a 2x12 for $390

The Krank is just a better more portable amp. You can drive a 4x12 cab easy with it if you want, I do and it keeps up with a full band (a loud band).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
There is 2 Peavey Ultra 1x12 combos for $269 and a 2x12 for $390

The Krank is just a better more portable amp. You can drive a 4x12 cab easy with it if you want, I do and it keeps up with a full band (a loud band).

Is there a 4x12 cab you would recommend for my price range?
Quote by Ninryoku
Is there a 4x12 cab you would recommend for my price range?

Well it depends on your budget for the cab. Marshall 1960 cabs can be had for $300+ used (with G12T75 speakers in it). You can find Line 6 Spider valve cabs (with V30's) for $375+. Krank 4x12 cabs can be had for $399 used and they are really good cabs (solid wood not plywood and V12 speakers). Mesa-Boogie 4x12 cabs can be had for $400 used(great cabs).

That is why I suggested the 1x12 for now, even a decent 2x12 cab will cost the same as a good used 4x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Go to eBay and search for "Washburn 623." It's a bridge pickup and there's a guy selling NOS ones for $16.80 delivered. They do do that sound. Before you go spending a ton, it's worth a try. They really have that rawness edge thing going on. If you want more grit, try using no-load pots. Regular pots dampen the sound. You can bypass your current pots to see what it'll sound like.

I went through a bunch of pickups until I bought an old Washburn Billy T with the above pickups. Since then, I've put them in all of my guitars.

The same guy is selling a bridge pickup for $16.80 or a NOS set of 623 and 621 (bridge and neck) ones for $29.00 delivered.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.