Akula KO
Folk Metal is Alive!!!
246 IQ
So I'm going to Tokyo next week for holiday and I'd like to get a guitar, maybe one that's specifically for the Japanese market only and not sold in Europe (where I live) though it doesn't have to be. I'm just wondering though... are guitars any cheaper there than in the West or is the difference negligible?
"Happiness is... a bottle of booze in one hand and my faithful guitar in the other hand."

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
I don't know about cheaper, but you'll definitely see guitars- both models and brands- you won't see in stores outside of Japan. Besides Ibanez and Fernandes, you'll see Killer, Fujigen, Ran, and- in some places- the knockoff brands like Tokai, Burny, etc.

It is at least worth a look.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dark Mass
ZORK
30 IQ
It's not worth it when you get into the well known brands like Ibanez or Fender.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica
130 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Besides Ibanez and Fernandes, you'll see Killer, Fujigen, Ran, and- in some places- the knockoff brands like Tokai, Burny, etc.

It is at least worth a look.

Cool thanks for naming a few. Those killer and Ran guitars look pretty cool I would definitely look around if I was in Japan.

Besides what better keepsake to have than a guitar to remember your trip??
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Last edited by UFC on VHS at Jul 16, 2013,
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!
210 IQ
Quote by UFC on VHS
Cool thanks for naming a few. Those killer and Ran guitars look pretty cool I would definitely look around if I was in Japan.

Isn't RAN polish?
I'd pick up a japanese ESP or Schecter. Those MIJ Schecters are yummie.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Yabba Who
40 IQ
Quote by UFC on VHS

I got a wife when I went there, who eventually bought me a guitar.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
160 IQ
Not quite sure how it works over there, but in the US it actually costs more money to import a (cheaper) guitar from Japan than it is to just by a model here. I would think that it would be the same in Europe, too.

Unless you have someone that can import them to you and give ya a break, or you want a model that is only available in Japan, then I would say go for it, but other than that it's almost always better to just go with a domestic version.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
110 IQ
Quote by dark Mass
It's not worth it when you get into the well known brands like Ibanez or Fender.

Unless you're into offset fenders, in which case it's the best place to get a mustang/jaguar/jazzmaster/bass vi that are vintage spec/built better than anything other than the custom shop.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
130 IQ
Quote by stonyman65
Not quite sure how it works over there, but in the US it actually costs more money to import a (cheaper) guitar from Japan than it is to just by a model here. I would think that it would be the same in Europe, too.

^This. At least here in the United States, you would have to list your new guitar - including the purchase price - on your Customs Declaration form. Then they would hit you with a steep import duty.

Then again, maybe your country has different rules regarding the importation of "luxury items" for personal use.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by LP_CL
Isn't RAN polish?

Yep- I was probably thinking of the classic Japanese film adaptation of King Lear.

Sorry about that!

Yamaha would be another obvious one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 16, 2013,
jpnyc
Banned
90 IQ
Quote by LP_CL
Those MIJ Schecters are yummie.

+1. Pricey, but excellent.
zackk
10 IQ
Quote by FatalGear41
^This. At least here in the United States, you would have to list your new guitar - including the purchase price - on your Customs Declaration form. Then they would hit you with a steep import duty.

Then again, maybe your country has different rules regarding the importation of "luxury items" for personal use.

Or you can, you know, not list it.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
160 IQ
Quote by zackk
Or you can, you know, not list it.

That's where the "getting someone to import it for you" thing comes in
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
les paul

teles

what's your budget and what do you want?
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 16, 2013,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
just bear in mind the yen is pretty strong these days- it's not as good value as it was. I'm guessing the "only available in japan" stuff would be the stuff to be looking at, in other words.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Akula KO
Folk Metal is Alive!!!
246 IQ
Much appreciated for all these posts. It does seem the market is not as much of a deal as I imagined. The ESP Edwards range seems pretty good, I may try get one of those.
"Happiness is... a bottle of booze in one hand and my faithful guitar in the other hand."

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
the duties and taxes on a ~$1000 guitar was $74.00 when i imported my Bacchus Korina V.

no duties on the Tokai Les Paul, it was about $950.

The strat was about $400, no duties or taxes.

have you ever seen a flamed alder strat? let alone for $400? its a 77 Aria Pro ii.

this old tokai tele was about $450, duties and taxes were $34.

just thought you should know the truth about duties and taxes.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by Akula KO
Much appreciated for all these posts. It does seem the market is not as much of a deal as I imagined. The ESP Edwards range seems pretty good, I may try get one of those.

whoa...

http://www.digimart.net/guitar/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS02064911
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
110 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
the duties and taxes on a ~$1000 guitar was $74.00 when i imported my Bacchus Korina V.

no duties on the Tokai Les Paul, it was about $950.

The strat was about $400, no duties or taxes.

have you ever seen a flamed alder strat? let alone for $400? its a 77 Aria Pro ii.

this old tokai tele was about $450, duties and taxes were $34.

just thought you should know the truth about duties and taxes.

I agree, into the US it's actually really reasonable.

But he's going back to Switzerland (I'm assuming, that's what is on his profile) and that may not be the case?

Although according to this, it will be less than $100 for a $1000 guitar.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/185594067/
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by Arby911
I agree, into the US it's actually really reasonable.

But he's going back to Switzerland (I'm assuming, that's what is on his profile) and that may not be the case?

Although according to this, it will be less than $100 for a $1000 guitar.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/185594067/

that was my experience, less than 10%.

it just depends on your local country's import laws. i know from what our guy in Argentina (divin with the wife pic request up there ) said the duties could equal the actual cost of the instrument, so it's different everywhere. (still though, if you import it and pay the D&T, your retail market price locally is probably a lot higher).
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
divinorum69
Construction Manager
253 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
that was my experience, less than 10%.

it just depends on your local country's import laws. i know from what our guy in Argentina (divin with the wife pic request up there ) said the duties could equal the actual cost of the instrument, so it's different everywhere. (still though, if you import it and pay the D&T, your retail market price locally is probably a lot higher).

yes. The duty calculator up there is not accurate for my country. It calculates a 20% import tax when the reality is 50% tax. So... check with people on a forum from your country. There must be a music forum .ch where they have imported guitars.
zenbone
King of two things...
90 IQ
i was in Japan last year, the prices are really bad when you factor in the dollar vs. yen and the trouble getting it home (don't buy into the "airline will store your guitar free" BS. THEY DON'T). so any guitar you buy will be 2x the price compared to cost in the US. I wanted to get a Fender Japan model and after doing the math really couldn't justify the cost.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Did you look at the prices for local brands?

alhaq369
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by zenbone
i was in Japan last year, the prices are really bad when you factor in the dollar vs. yen and the trouble getting it home (don't buy into the "airline will store your guitar free" BS. THEY DON'T). so any guitar you buy will be 2x the price compared to cost in the US. I wanted to get a Fender Japan model and after doing the math really couldn't justify the cost.

that's just not true.

i've done it many times.

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Ippon
Amped
200 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
that's just not true.

i've done it many times.

Same. Other than the older Ibby 7s (RG7620/7621/1077XL) that I scored locally, I shipped my MIJs from Japan and they were still cheaper than what they closed on eBay. Also, the Japanese are anal about packing/double boxing.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by Ippon
Also, the Japanese are anal about packing/double boxing.

I am glad you typed that sentence carefully. Forget ONE word...

alhaq369
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by Ippon
I shipped my MIJs from Japan and they were still cheaper than what they closed on eBay. Also, the Japanese are anal about packing/double boxing.

i can never get all the packing back in the box once i have the guitar out.

it defies quantum physics.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Jock68
116 IQ
UK duty is 23% of the value of the guitar and the postage cost,so $900 guitar and $100 postage will incur duty of $230.

Go Get a Bacchus, you will not be disappointed I have a Korina Explorer, they sell for around $700 in Japan, great instruments as good as Gibsons

Jock