Basically since I heard these amps, I knew I wanted one, that it was perfect for everything that I needed, the be all, end all of amps for me, but I never thought I could afford one.

*ooh, suspenseful*

And then, heavenly light shone down from the sky to a Craigslist-kin Facebook group posting. An ENGL Powerball, posted on July 4 for $1500. Few days later, add is still up, price dropped to $1400. By the next week, it's down to $1300 and a need to go ASAP warrant on it. My grandmother knew how much I wanted a Powerball, and this one is relatively inexpensive, so she told me to make an offer. Soon after I expressed interest to the owner, I made an offer and we settled for $1200.

Review: My expectations have been met, and superseded. My Peavey Triple XXX was always a good amp for me, but it just lacked something. The ENGL feels a lot tighter, puncher, dynamically responsive, and clearer. The clean channel may be the best I've ever played, and that includes a 70's Fender Twin. I was able to get that bell like tone out of my Ibanez Universe, which I haven't been able to get with any guitar through any amp. The crunch channel hasn't really any use to me. The gain channel is split into Low and High, but they both have way more gain then I'll ever use. I didn't expect this to clean up well due to the insane amount of gain, but boy was I wrong. Once you get the sweet spot, it's as if you switched to the clean channel but only with a slight volume drop off. Very easy for me to dial in something that sounds incredible. The sound that I've found was very punchy, complex chords were clear, and it had no problem djent-ing. I use the Lo gain as a rhythm and the high as a lead with slight volume boost. Exactly what I've been looking for. I can nit pick about how the bass boosts, the noise gate, and effects loop are not footswitchable with the Z5 foostswitch, shared EQ's, and the noise gate being a tad useless. Three of the five can be eliminated because I'm using an ISP G string Decimator, and I never run any pedal in the loop other than the ISP. But the other features of the footswitch and overall versatility of the amp easily outweigh those tiny nuances. I don't think I'll ever need a new amp again.

Other little things;
-Still has stock tubes from what I can tell (ENGL 6L6GC's in the power section, didn't remove the preamp tube covers, but I'm assuming stock)
-Previous owner bought it off of a studio that didn't need it as they had the Powerball 2 among many other newer high gain heads. He didn't like it, so decided to sell it after having it for just 3 weeks.
-Foostswitch was never used by the studio nor the guy I got it from and was still in it's packing.

Now for crappy cell phone pictures of the amp and the guts.
Attachments:
ENGL Board.jpeg
ENGL.JPG
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
i'm a big fan of sounding clearer.

congrats!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Congrats, man! Seriously badass!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
One does not simply conquer GAS.......but gratz man!
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Conquered GAS? I call horseshit on that! If you have achieved that... then

1. Write book
2. Sell out
3. ????
4. Profits!

HNAD man... I've always wanted a SE or a Powerball 2 at some point.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thanks all.

I really believe that my GAS has been cured. I haven't desired a new guitar for months, and I'm not an effect user. Maybe I'll upgrade little things in my rig like a better wireless unit but nothing major.

@Offworld -I put up (really bad) pictures, but I have no good camera and no clue how to use an image sharing website.

@Ippon- She actually paid it all. I offered to help out but she refused. Easily the greatest grandparent ever.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
i'd love to buy my grandkids big ****ing tube amps.

i tell my kids paybacks are a bitch.

one day... bwa hahahaha

srsly - congrats that thing is bad ass!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
HNAD!

Can't say I enjoyed the Powerball myself, but if you're happy, that's all that matters! Crank it up and destroy the world!

Quote by telemetal
Happy NGD mate. You say that you've conquered GAS...give it a few months

+1 to this.

The Powerball will be gone in a few months in favor of something new. You'll see.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ragingkitty
Conquered GAS? I call horseshit on that! If you have achieved that... then

1. Write book
2. Sell out
3. ????
4. Profits!

I can truly state that I have conquered GAS, with considerable help (read that as "threats") from my wife.
As to the process...
1. Write book-too lazy
2. Sell out-that ship has sailed
3. ????- all further potential GAS funds used for Scotch, wine, & beer
4. Profits!-Yeah, you funny guy The wife rakes off the profits of anything I sell like a craps croupier in Vegas. On the bright side, she buys good wine for us to share.

Sure would be fun to mess around with a Powerball for a while, though... I've played one before, & it rips ass.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jul 17, 2013,
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hngd!
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A