It bothers me more than it should.

Are people being taught this? If so, then why are they being taught this? I did a quick google search and it turned up nothing to satisfy.
Because they type so fast but are trying to be careful and put a space between every word but they make one space too many . I think . I don't know . I type at a tortoise pace anyways .
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Yes . What the heck kind of school did you go to ?
Listen. I'm sorry.
I only ever see it for question marks and I think it's just to give it a little different feel.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
When I'm typing in French with the FR keyboard layout it does it automatically for me. I have no idea why

NOTE: Only question marks/exclamation marks from what I've seen
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
might have to do with typing on devices with autocorrect. when the device makes a suggestion many people feel like they have to press space in order to accept the change, when on any device i have ever used, typing a period was also sufficient.
Who doesn't ? ? ?
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
T h a t ' s h o w i t ' s s u p p o s e d t o b e , T S .
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
This bugs me as well. It just shouts, "Look at me! I can't be bothered to learn what spaces go where, so I'll just put a space before and after a punctuation!"

It doesn't help that it's the same few people I know who always type in a serious no-shit manner. I genuinely like them, but the punctuation thing is not cool.

Thank you, TS. I've always wanted to get that off my chest. If you had a different username, I'm sure we'd have been best buds.

Quote by N_J_B_B
When I'm typing in French with the FR keyboard layout it does it automatically for me. I have no idea why

NOTE: Only question marks/exclamation marks from what I've seen

It happens where I live too, and I'm pretty sure none of them know French. Or how to use the French keyboard layout. Or how to install a new language.
Quote by Eastwinn
might have to do with typing on devices with autocorrect. when the device makes a suggestion many people feel like they have to press space in order to accept the change, when on any device i have ever used, typing a period was also sufficient.

exactly my theory, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I'm still trying to unlearn putting two spaces after a period. Stupid school

I do this when I'm on my laptop, but not when I'm on my phone.

Hey, when I was in school it was a great way to pad papers that needed to be a certain length. Along with changing all the periods to 14pt font.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by iwannabesedated
I'm still trying to unlearn putting two spaces after a period. Stupid school

I've known about this . But spaces BEFORE the punctuation mark That's just mad !
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Why do people tag someone in a comment on their photos/statuses/etc. on facebook when they're going to get a notification that they commented on said photo/status/etc. anyway? It bothers me more than it should.

For example, (I'm not sure how clearly I worded that):

Picture of Sally Jenkins, uploaded by Sally Jenkins

Someone comments: "Cute picture @Sally Jenkins"

That shit bugs me so much, and I have no idea why
i know it's ironic for me to be complaining about shit like this when i haven't used proper punctuation on this website in ages but it pisses me off whenever i see people do that.

Quote by snipelfritz

Hey, when I was in school it was a great way to pad papers that needed to be a certain length. Along with changing all the periods to 14pt font.

See, I was never that smart. I would come in with a paper that was 2 or 3 pages short and say "look, this was the most I could write. I'm not gonna bullshit you for 2 more pages or change the font."

I was consistently a B student.
I'm loving this thread so much already. I love you TS. Forget what I said. We are not best buds. Best buds overlook each other's bad usernames.

Quote by Rockford_rocks
Why do people tag someone in a comment on their photos/statuses/etc. on facebook when they're going to get a notification that they commented on said photo/status/etc. anyway? It bothers me more than it should.

For example, (I'm not sure how clearly I worded that):

Picture of Sally Jenkins, uploaded by Sally Jenkins

Someone comments: "Cute picture @Sally Jenkins"

That shit bugs me so much, and I have no idea why

On a related note, I also hate it when people tag somebody in a comment in one of the posts that those pages post. Is it so hard to send them a link? Have we gotten so lazy it's much easier to type @<name> instead of copying and pasting links?

("Pages" refers to pages that you like because they post funny or satirical stuff)

Quote by snipelfritz

I frequently changed the fonts on my report to Times New Roman or Arial, depending on which was needed. One of them was bigger than the other. Super small changes to the margins on the sides of the paper and line spacing were also fun. If you do it subtly all these things add up without being noticeable unless you're looking veeeeeeeeery carefully or if you have a soft copy and are actively looking for such things.

I'm not even sure why I'm talking so much about this. It might be some sense of pride in being able to pull off this type of shit.
Last edited by triface at Jul 17, 2013,
about the 'french keyboard' thing: in french (from france at least) there's a rule that says you must leave a space before a question mark or an exclamation mark. i think the same goes for colons and semicolons. i like the way it looks. you will notice this in any french poetry book you open.

i've no idea why some people do it in english before a period, though. i think that's just dumb. my friend does it and she even has a blog. it bothers me, like can't you learn some basic punctuation? i even asked her once why she does it and her reply was something like 'well, it's because i automatically put a space after a word and think about what i'll say next, and then sometimes i decide i'd like to end the sentence there so i just put a period'. it's nonsense, really. she even tried to justify it by bringing up the poetry of ee cummings lol. right
Last edited by cubs at Jul 17, 2013,
I think it is very stupid . Personally , I would never consciously support such a pretentious , useless , and just plain vile habit .
Doesn't bother me nearly as much as when people use words incorrectly. You're hatred is kind of excessive.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Because they are scumbags who wish society to dissolve into a state of destructive anarchy.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Because they're half-intelligent inbreds who lust after members of their own immediate family.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
They do it because they're assholes.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
they support the illuminati conspiracy to make us not sound grammatically good or make good punctuation and stuff
Quote by metal4eva_22
It bothers me more than it should.

Are people being taught this? If so, then why are they being taught this? I did a quick google search and it turned up nothing to satisfy.

Are people being taught this?

people being taught this?

being taught this?

If you're going to rant about other people using poor grammar, you really should make sure your own is on point first.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Sounds stupid, OP. I personally double space after a period.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by strat0blaster
Are people being taught this?

people being taught this?

being taught this?

If you're going to rant about other people using poor grammar, you really should make sure your own is on point first.

I don't see anything wrong with 'being taught'.
Quote by Todd Hart
I don't see anything wrong with 'being taught'.

To say "being taught" in that manner is bad grammar. If you'd said "They're being taught to use it." it would be accurate, but "are they being taught this?" is really wrong. You would have to say something like "Are people being taught to do this?" or "Are people being taught to use this?" for it to be correct.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Mind_Reader7
Doesn't bother me nearly as much as when people use words incorrectly. You're hatred is kind of excessive.

Agreed...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by strat0blaster
To say "being taught" in that manner is bad grammar. If you'd said "They're being taught to use it." it would be accurate, but "are they being taught this?" is really wrong. You would have to say something like "Are people being taught to do this?" or "Are people being taught to use this?" for it to be correct.

Not really. It's not any different from, say, "I teach history at a school". It might be somewhat bad style (which itself is arguable and subjective), but it's perfectly fine grammar.
Quote by strat0blaster

It's not bad grammar. It's perhaps slightly incorrect due to fact that there isn't actually a subject within the sentence, but given that the subject is introduced within the thread title it's certainly acceptable.

But specific grammar is irrelevant - you understood exactly what he meant, you're just being a pedant over something that only a grammar textbook would be offended by so that you can feel smug.
Quote by guitarist41
They do it because they're assholes.

as i scroll down the page our avatars look identical
Quote by Todd Hart
It's not bad grammar. It's perhaps slightly incorrect due to fact that there isn't actually a subject within the sentence, but given that the subject is introduced within the thread title it's certainly acceptable.

But specific grammar is irrelevant - you understood exactly what he meant, you're just being a pedant over something that only a grammar textbook would be offended by so that you can feel smug.

The first part of your statement was good. It's incorrect, but accepted. I got that. Then you dove head-first into asininity by suggesting that spelling and grammar are stupid and useless as long as we understand what the person is trying to articulate.

If you're going to do something, do it correctly or don't do it at all.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
The first part of your statement was good. It's incorrect, but accepted. I got that. Then you dove head-first into asininity by suggesting that spelling and grammar are stupid and useless as long as we understand what the person is trying to articulate.

If you're going to do something, do it correctly or don't do it at all.

Smug and ignorant in equal doses. Superb.
I see it a lot, it doesn't bother me as much since I sometimes misspell words, but, it does get annoying in blogs and stuff. I think it could be like mentioned above, that they are just too lazy to backspace after deciding to end a sentence.