Page 1 of 4
So in the August 3rd issue of Rolling Stone magazine, the cover story is on Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the two Boston Marathon Bombers, and the actual cover of the magazine is a selfie that he took.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/rolling-stone-boston-bomber-cover_n_3607630.html

Do you have any strong opinions on this one way or the other?

I've seen some people upset about it on Facebook, of course.

In response to one of them who said that "he shouldn't even be discussed, he should be shot and forgotten about", I said this which kinda sums up my opinion:

So people shouldn't read or talk about him? This is how people learn about threats like this, and hopefully friends/family members can recognize the signs of radicalism. People being able to recognize this has lead to FBI arrests of homegrown terrorists in the past. You can't just sweep them under the rug and pretend it didn't happen; we have to learn from it, so we can better catch them beforehand and serve justice in the future

Whatchu think?

inb4

My God, it's full of stars!
Omg He Couldn`t Have Done It He`s To Cute To Be A Terrorist ! !

Quote by MinterMan22
Omg He Couldn`t Have Done It He`s To Cute To Be A Terrorist ! !

it's also hilarious that this is a real thing
He's cute. Should prolly be let go.

Really though, I don't know what harm this could cause. Sure, it gives him more attention which some apparently crave, but I think that's kind of necessary like you said. And it's calling him a monster, it's certainly not glamorizing anything.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Is that subzero with a xmas hat on his wang?
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
Wasn't Hitler the man of the year as elected by Time magazine?

EDIT: Some people fail to grasp the difference between positive and negative attention.

I agree with TS's thoughts.
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Jul 17, 2013,
I would like for him to be tortured.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The Bomber... new album goes on sale on 22/07
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
8/10 would bang
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Xiaoxi
I would like for him to be tortured.

Well what's the point, now? As far as I know, they've gleamed any intelligence they could from him as far as who their connections were.
Quote by Dreadnought
Well what's the point, now? As far as I know, they've gleamed any intelligence they could from him as far as who their connections were.

fun?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by metal4eva_22

Not sure what the relevance here is but yes. Although this was before he was known as a monster. JFK actually admired him at this time.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Dreadnought

Because he deserves it?

And also fun?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
So...when he's on the front page of CNN, NBC, ABC, the New York Times, the Washington Post, Newsweek, etc., it's A-okay, but when he hits Rolling Stone, we have controversy?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by WCPhils
fun?

Eh I can understand the emotions behind that, but I'd prefer just a quick death penalty. Letting your emotions guide things like this too much is a slippery slope.
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jul 17, 2013,
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Not sure what the relevance here is but yes. Although this was before he was known as a monster. JFK actually admired him at this time.

I did not know this.
Quote by Dreadnought
Eh I can understand the emotions behind that, but I'd prefer just a quick death penalty. Letting your emotions guide things like this too much is a slippery slope.

I don't actually want them to torture him. That would be pretty ****ed up, lol
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by metal4eva_22

iirc, Time's "Man of the Year" goes to the figure who had the biggest impact of the year, both during the year and as an impact on history. It's not necessarily "Time thinks this guy did the most [subjectively] best things this year."
In the case of that Time Magazine issue though, it was in fact about him being a great leader who avoided war and rebuilt his country. Him and his cronies painted that picture for the world, and the world bought it. Hook, line and sinker. That was a couple of years before he started subjugating other countries for financial, political and racial reasons though. And whoever said "JFK admired him" earlier, did you mean FDR? Kennedy would have been like 20 at the time, and he was on a PT boat during WWII, he didn't have time for politics.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Jul 17, 2013,
Lol, Rolling Stone hasn't been controversial since Lester Bangs ripped apart Sabbath.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Honestly I don't think it's good.

From a very superficial first glance, his face on the cover with the words "The Bomber" almost make it look like he's being glorified like the rock stars on the covers. Do I think that's Rolling Stone's intentions and they support terrorism. No. But I think our culture sort of unintentionally glorifies these mass murderers.

I know it seems silly to quote Morgan Freeman, but I think he summed up my feelings well with his quote about the Sandy Hook shooting.
You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why. It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batmantheater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody. CNN's article says that if the body count 'holds up,' this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next. You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem.
I remember with the Sandy Hook shooting, on Anderson Cooper's show he refused to say the shooter's name. That would be a better attitude to have than putting a bomber on the cover of a magazine where typically people on the cover are usually meant to look cool and badass.
Quote by The Madcap
I know it seems silly to quote Morgan Freeman, but I think he summed up my feelings well with his quote about the Sandy Hook shooting.I remember with the Sandy Hook shooting, on Anderson Cooper's show he refused to say the shooter's name. That would be a better attitude to have than putting a bomber on the cover of a magazine where typically people on the cover are usually meant to look cool and badass.

Anderson Cooper circa. 2005 = exemplary of bad-ass journalism.
Anderson Cooper circa. 2012 = definition of terrible.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I don't get the whole "don't focus on the perpetrator" angle.

Of course we will. That's how we work.

The perpetrator did the action, everyone else was an unlucky bystander.
The perpetrator is a bright and clear beacon of what to hate.
The more people die, the more abstract they get. They become a statistic, even more so with the passage of time.
It's easier to hate one or a few people who took action than feel sharp pain and loss for people who are barely names and faces to us.

I'm not saying that grieving for people is pointless or feeling bad for the death of someone you barely knew is stupid, but accept that the focus will never be on them as much as it is on the perpetrator.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
I don't get the whole "don't focus on the perpetrator" angle.

Of course we will. That's how we work.

The perpetrator did the action, everyone else was an unlucky bystander.
The perpetrator is a bright and clear beacon of what to hate.
The more people die, the more abstract they get. They become a statistic, even more so with the passage of time.
It's easier to hate one or a few people who took action than feel sharp pain and loss for people who are barely names and faces to us.

I'm not saying that grieving for people is pointless or feeling bad for the death of someone you barely knew is stupid, but accept that the focus will never be on them as much as it is on the perpetrator.
There are appropriate and inappropriate ways to present a perpetrator.
Quote by The Madcap
There are appropriate and inappropriate ways to present a perpetrator.

Yes, but I'm addressing the idea of just cutting them out of the picture or trying to not give them "fame" or whatever it is people are trying to deny the perpetrator.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
They obviously knew that this story would cause

An explosion of feelings

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
My initial reaction is that that is stupid and serves to glorify the kid
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by WCPhils
I don't actually want them to torture him. That would be pretty ****ed up, lol

Loading pressure-cookers with nails and ball-bearings and blowing them up at the Boston Marathon into a crowd of hundreds, resulting in three dead and over 100 injured (including amputees) is ****ed up.

The total-ambushing and killing of an MIT police officer is ****ed up.

The running over of his own gravely-injured brother with a stolen car is ****ed up.

He didn't respect other's lives, so why should anyone respect his, beyond possible intelligence-gathering-purposes?

I'm perfectly okay with someone inflicting massive pain onto this piece of garbage of a human-being.

I'm not condoning that someone goes and plays vigilante, but at the same time, my day would be better with that news.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
man, I'm so sad I made this thread now after seeing those shake shack burgers. I would buy an extra just to fuck it while I eat its siblings. then i'd eat that one too.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
Last edited by sideslick at Jul 17, 2013,
I see nothing wrong with this.

Also, good looking people can do no wrong.

Ain't that right, young Stalin?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 17, 2013,
Looks like a cool guy.

10/10. Would hang.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
I'd rather the posted the faces of this 'persons' victims in memorial rather than an image of the perp that will now be remembered for even longer than he deserves.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Hundreds of innocents die in foreign countries by the US army every day and no one is arrested.

3 people died in the Boston Bombings and a man faces the possibility of execution.

Open your eyes sheeple and look at the corrupt society we live in.

We are the 1%

#occupywallstreet
lol.

what's especially hilarious to me is that I have a narcissistic mate from albania/macedonia who is a spitting image of this guy. same hair and everything. we are getting endless joy from messing with him.

and tbf my mate is better looking because he doesn't have a goatee.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 4