This is going to be kind of a long one but here goes:
My Peavey Vypyr 75W has a constant high-pitched ringing in the background. When playing at bedroom levels it's quiet enough that I can deal with it, but at any louder volume it becomes a serious nuisance.
Some information that might help:
1. I recently replaced the fuse after it blew for the third time, and this time installed a fuse holder that hangs out the back. It is soldered directly into the spot where the fuse used to be on the board but the wires lead out the back where I can easily switch out the fuse if need be. The only fuse we could find to fit the fuse holder was 4 amps instead of 3, but we figured it would be fine. Could that be causing it? Something could have been damaged/adjusted while I was inside the chassis as well, I suppose.
2. Quite literally the day after I fixed the amp, I moved into a new place, and that's where I noticed the problem. I've noticed that the electrical wiring is a bit... wonky in the house, so could it be a ground issue?
3. I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with the guitar or the cable. In the initial startup mode with nothing plugged in, it's fine, but as soon as something is plugged in, the ringing starts. This morning I plugged in a 1/4 in to 1/8 in adapter just to see if it would still ring and it still did. So maybe it's a jack problem?
4. It doesn't seem to be a speaker problem either – I plugged the amp into Garageband using the USB out slot and the recording still has that harsh ringing.
Sorry for the excessively long post – I just wanted to give as much helpful information as possible. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Problem solved!
Final report back (just in case anyone is curious/on the off chance that someone's desperate search leads to this forum, as my searches often do): it's up and running as smoothly as ever. The problem? A loose board. When I took it apart to change the fuse, I apparently lost a screw that holds a board that contains the aux, USB out, and headphone jack. It still had one screw in, which allowed it to pivot. This was the source of the problem, and why pressing on that area made the ringing subside. Strange, but now that the board is screwed firmly into place, the ringing/feedback is gone. Moral of the story: keep track of your screws, nuts, and bolts, and put everything back into place when you're done! A trip to the hardware store to replace that one screw you misplaced may save you a lot of grief in the end.
GEAR:

Schecter V-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Special Model LP
Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by alastors_blade at Aug 27, 2013,
You're out of tune...

More seriously, maybe not, but that's a common cause of high harmonics in the background.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ It rings with nothing but a 1/4" adapter plug in it.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is a grounding problem in your new house. Try it on various outlets and then try it again at a different place. Then hire an electrician to sus it out.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

If I had to guess, I'd say it is a grounding problem in your new house. Try it on various outlets and then try it again at a different place. Then hire an electrician to sus it out.

fúck off

I mean...ummm...errr...yeah...totally missed that part, my bad!

Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 17, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

That's kind of what I figured but I didn't know if my tinkering could have screwed something up. I'm only there through the end of August anyways, so if it's not a problem with the amp I can live with it. I guess the real test is to try it in another building entirely... Thanks!
GEAR:

Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
So wait, you didn't test the amp after the modification? That could definitely be causing the problem. I was looking for the new element where the problem arose - which seemed to be the move to a new house. That said, I don't think you were operating anywhere near the signal path. You do need to use the correct amperage of fuze though.

But yeah, take the amp and your guitar to a friends house or guitar center and try it there and report back.
So, I finally got my amp to another place to test it out, a place where it has worked fine before, but it's still ringing. Any other ideas?
GEAR:

Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
I had an old Music Man amp that did that. Traced it to the reverb (I don't know if your amp has a tube reverb or not). With the reverb on 0 or very low, the ringing was off or barely audible, but if you turned the reverb up past 3 or 4 it'd go nuts, like a loud dial tone. Turned out to be a bad tube.
Don't know if that's helpful or not, but maybe worth mentioning.
Also, good idea to invest in a power conditioner like a Furman or something, so you don't have to worry about house power ruining your amp. You can buy one on craigslist or ebay for around $40 or so.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i don't know if a PI tube could cause this, but maybe to the pencil test. see what happens. if you aren't familiar with it, i would either get a video from youtube or search google.

but it may not be a potential because itss PI, but if it works for PI's you just need a $12 tube.

could you post a video just for us?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Guys, Vypyr 75, no tubes.....
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Guys, Vypyr 75, no tubes.....

i will myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
This is going to sound crazy, but I fired it up today and absentmindedly pushed in on the chassis above the aux port, and the ringing went away. It comes back, though much quieter, but when I push it in it's fine for a while. I think it's just something loose inside... Very strange.
GEAR:

Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
Quote by alastors_blade
This is going to sound crazy, but I fired it up today and absentmindedly pushed in on the chassis above the aux port, and the ringing went away. It comes back, though much quieter, but when I push it in it's fine for a while. I think it's just something loose inside... Very strange.

Kick it or roll it down the stairs, that might fix it.

... I'm only half joking.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Kick it or roll it down the stairs, that might fix it.

... I'm only half joking.

Which half?

I didn't know the damn thing didn't even have tubes.
That's the difference between ignorance & apathy...I don't know, & I don't care.

At least the TS fixed his problem.......ish
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Somebody needs to get inside it with a soldering iron.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's still sort of there, so I'm going to have someone who is slightly more intelligent than myself open it up and look for anything suspicious. Thanks, y'all.
GEAR:

Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
Final report back (just in case anyone is curious/on the off chance that someone's desperate search leads to this forum, as my searches often do): it's up and running as smoothly as ever. The problem? A loose board. When I took it apart to change the fuse, I apparently lost a screw that holds a board that contains the aux, USB out, and headphone jack. It still had one screw in, which allowed it to pivot. This was the source of the problem, and why pressing on that area made the ringing subside. Strange, but now that the board is screwed firmly into place, the ringing/feedback is gone. Moral of the story: keep track of your screws, nuts, and bolts, and put everything back into place when you're done! A trip to the hardware store to replace that one screw you misplaced may save you a lot of grief in the end.
GEAR:

Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah
Awesome. Update your OP so new people looking at the thread know it's been solved.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That's really great that you figured it out on your own! Good news. Thanks!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard