Warm up- chromatics: 10 min
Technique: 40 min
Cover songs by ear: 20 min
Learning licks by ear for improve: 30 min
Improv: 30 min
Other: 20 min
Theory: 15 min
Ear training: 15 min

Which comes to a total of 3 hours. But I find that I am having trouble fitting everything I want to in.

My goals are to eventually compose music, improvise well in mainly blues, funk, rock, and jazz, be able to learn songs by ear easily (better than I can now), and join a band.

I can't practice any more than 3 hours a day, so would it work if I made a 2 day schedule? Practice some stuff one day and other the next?

Thanks
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
I think thats too much stuff to be honest

warm up could be like 5 mins

technique could be like 10-20 mins depending on how much work it needs. It will get a work out learning songs.

improv, theory, ear training and learning licks/cover songs could just be given the biggest chunk of time say 2 hrs or whatever

Spend some time on scales/ rudiments, pick maybe 1-2 things and work on them really well and just rotate them on a daily or weekly basis and then give yourself some time to just play for fun.

That's my advice. its better to spend more time on less things and really master them.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Jul 17, 2013,
this is what i do.

hour 1- warm up by doing 4 note chromatic scale up to the 15th fret them back down. then i do some stretches. then i do diatonic scale in 4 positions evenly spaced across the neck, so like 1'st fret, 5th, 10th, 15th, then back down. going up and down the scale shape twice. then i do the pentatonic positions, although i only do the 3 main shapes because i don't use the others much. they don't lend themselves much to many runs, i usually just connect licks with those positions or do more diatonic stuff in those positions. anyway, i do the same as before, up the neck then down.

then i go to the 5th fret, and practice different scale sequences. i start with pentatonics, then diatonics. go through the sequences up and down the pattern twice, then i start from the top and go down and up twice.

depending on how rusty i am, it can take an hour, 45 mins when i'm not rusty and have some speed. but i'm focusing on accuracy here.

hour 2- free play. in this time i may write new songs, jam, just improvise, learn new songs, whatever i want. i don't really believe in having TOO much structure. it will drive you nuts. learn songs when you want to, learn theory when you want to learn something or you feel you need to brush up. or just put on some songs and play along. try to learn new songs while you do it, and when the solo comes up, make one up to practice improvising. try making new rhythm parts that don't get in the way of the song. pretend you are actually in the band and play like you were.

honestly i think most of anyone's practice should be just playing. if you don't put the things you learn into a musical context, it's pointless to learn. playing music and having fun is the most important part of playing guitar in my books, so try to keep things loose with a sense of improv and creativity throughout.
Quote by George Juggles
Hello Musician Talk

I am trying to put a practice schedule together. This is the one I have so far:

Warm up- chromatics: 10 min
Technique: 40 min
Cover songs by ear: 20 min
Learning licks by ear for improve: 30 min
Improv: 30 min
Other: 20 min
Theory: 15 min
Ear training: 15 min

Which comes to a total of 3 hours. But I find that I am having trouble fitting everything I want to in.

My goals are to eventually compose music, improvise well in mainly blues, funk, rock, and jazz, be able to learn songs by ear easily (better than I can now), and join a band.

I can't practice any more than 3 hours a day, so would it work if I made a 2 day schedule? Practice some stuff one day and other the next?

Thanks

Do you enjoy doing that? Does any of it feel like chore? Be honest here.
Quote by mdc
Do you enjoy doing that? Does any of it feel like chore? Be honest here.

No, not really. I do just play guitar outside of the schedule too.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals