A bit more than a month ago, I bougt a RGD 7421 (Ibanez 7-string) in a local guitar center and I paid approximately 1500$ for it. That day I actually went to the center to buy a different (better) model ( RGD2127FX ) which would cost me only 160$ more. But even though I previously had asked them to reserve the prestige model for me, they sold it without letting me know. I was kind of pissed, but I liked the 7421 too, so I didn't bother complaining.

Yesterday I looked up the model I bought and saw that a dozen of providers offered the exact same model for 650$ less than what I paid for mine (including shipping). I don't know how much a guitar center can take profit of a guitar, but I feel scammed. Especially when the didn't reserve the more high-end Japan-made model as they promised to. I still like the guitar, but I don't think I should pay 650$ more than what it's worth.

tl;dr:
I bought a guitar for 650$ more than it's worth without knowing.
The same store also promised to reserve a better model but they sold it to somebody else without telling me.

What do I do?

I'm not even sure what answers I'm looking for.

EDIT:
Oh, and by "guitar center" (in lower case) I mean guitar centers in general, not *the* Guitar Center you are probable familiar with.

Sorry for bad English.
Last edited by JB95 at Jul 17, 2013,
Why didn't you research the product before buying it?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by JB95
A bit more than a month ago,

that's the problem right there.

they may have a 45 day exchange policy though, which is what you want.

exchange (not return because your return period is 30 days so that's gone) the guitar for the one you want.

if they don't have it in stock, ask them to order it.

you may be without a guitar until that one arrives, fine, whatever, you got what you want.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I don't think that it's an actual scam if you payed more for a guitar than it's actually worth and if you get the genuine guitar for the agreed price. I just think it is bad research on your part .
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
Guitar Center has the RGD7421 listed at $599. The RGD2127FX is listed at $1,399. That's in the U.S. though. Would that be different in Norway?
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Jul 17, 2013,
They can charge whatever they want. I doubt that store would be in existence though if any nearby competitors are charging $650 less for the same item; unless people in your town are really, really stupid
wait.

guitar center has stores in norway?

or did the TS just mean "guitar center" as a generic term for a local shop?

i'm confused now.
@ProphetToJables:
If I knew I was going to buy the RGD7421 instead of the RGD2127FX I'd do research for it. I guess I shouldn't have trusted the employees in the store when they told me what it's worth.

@Patrick89:
I thought I could trust the employees when they told me the worth of the guitar. If they actually went on the internet and looked up the price it went for, I'd expect them to lower it to at least 1100. I think I'll just go and talk to them tomorrow and hopefully come to an agreement.

@GraceByDeath and @gregs1020:
Oh, by guitar center I meant guitar centers in general. (hence the lower case). But I should have pointed that out anyway though.
Norway is usually quite expensive though, but the pricing of the two intruments doesn't add up. The prestige model (RGD2127FX) cost barely 200$ more than it would do in the states, which is understandable due to shipping and the store having to make profit. The lower-end model however (RGD7421) cost almost 1000$ more than it does in USA.

That means that the RGD2127FX is 14% more expensive in Norway while the RGD7421 is almost 60% more expensive. What the ****.
Quote by JB95

@GraceByDeath and @gregs1020:
Oh, by guitar center I meant guitar centers in general. (hence the lower case). But I should have pointed that out anyway though.
Norway is usually quite expensive though, but the pricing of the two intruments doesn't add up. The prestige model (RGD2127FX) cost barely 200$ more than it would do in the states, which is understandable due to shipping and the store having to make profit. The lower-end model however (RGD7421) cost almost 1000$ more than it does in USA.

That means that the RGD2127FX is 14% more expensive in Norway while the RGD7421 is almost 60% more expensive. What the ****.

What did you pay in NOK? It costs 5650,- here:

http://evenstadmusikk.no/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26575

The RGD2127FX costs 9995,-

http://evenstadmusikk.no/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=400&products_id=32098
@firepile:
I paid 9000 NOK, but I should say I got a gigbag and a set of strings, but the original price was 9000 NOK. The RGD2127FX did actually cost 9999 NOK there, but for some reason the RGD7421 was an exception.
Why the 3350 NOK increase, while the RGD2127FX was only 4 NOK more expensive?
I will give the store a call or visit them tomorrow, since this is unacceptable.
I don't think they have to do shit about it.

Were you scammed? Maybe they priced it wrong, and they may do something about it, but it's very difficult to scam someone like that in this day and age.

Most likely it was a mistake and you didn't bother to check the price online. I don't think I've made any kind of purchase where I haven't checked and seen where I can get it cheapest, which also informs me of the going rate.
@Mephaphil:
They told me they checked the price, and I thought that mean they knew what the guitar was worth. I've bought gear there before, and there haven't been any issues like this one before, and for that reason I felt that I could trust them.
But who knows? Maybe they actually managed to label the guitar with 650$ over the real price? Hopefully I'll get answers tomorrow when I call them.
Quote by JB95
...I will give the store a call or visit them tomorrow, since this is unacceptable.

The store didn't really do anything wrong, your mistake for failing to do your research before buying. The store may be willing to work with you, but don't go in accusing them of scamming you because it will get you nowhere.
Yea, just be cool about it, they should help you, but I don't think they have to.
depending on how long exactly you bought it, they may or may not work with you on it.

polish the guitar up and bring it back, be real nice and so on.

good luck.

It's not like I'm going to shout at them and demand my money back, but I will ask for a good explanation. I already know that they don't like losing customers, so I think we'll come to an agreement.
Thanks for the replies by the way! After seeing a few threads I found it suprising how nicely the community responded to mine.

@zl1288:
I have to disagree with that they didn't do anything wrong, since they I asked them check the guitars worth online, and they gave me a number which was 60% greater. I'm very aware of that this could've been avoided if I did research on beforehand. But in case you missed it, I did research on another guitar which was properly priced (the RGD2127FX) which I also reserved many days in advance. However, they sold it without letting me know and received the RG7421 that day. Me who was in need of the 7-string for an upcoming gig and hoped it would be alright with the slighly lower-end guitar, appearently made a mistake.

As I have said, I'll try to make things right if possible tomorrow.
Thanks guys.
Last edited by JB95 at Jul 17, 2013,
They don't have to, and probably won't, do anything.

You can't go into a shop and buy something, then a month later find it cheaper somewhere else and then go making a fuss at the shop you purchased from. You were happy with the value they priced it at, you must have been in order to pay for it, so therefore you have no leg to stand on. It is down to you to know the real values. If they genuinely have it well over priced then that is no concern of anyone else's, they simply won't sell it, except to people like yourself, whilst other people would shop around.

You may get some sort of deal if they have genuinely made a mistake and over priced it, but even if that is the case they still don't have to do anything for you.

If I were you I would ring the same shop, not saying who you are, and say you have noticed they are selling RGD 7421's for $650 more than other retailers and is the price they have listed correct or a mistake. If they say its correct then suck it up and accept you have made a mistake. If they say its the wrong price then tell them you bought one recently from them and see if they will make a good will gesture or something.
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Quote by JB95

@Patrick89:
I thought I could trust the employees when they told me the worth of the guitar. If they actually went on the internet and looked up the price it went for, I'd expect them to lower it to at least 1100. I think I'll just go and talk to them tomorrow and hopefully come to an agreement.

I hope it for you too, but I wouldn't count on it. And allmost every salesman will tell you that his wares are totally worth the price. If they say that it's overpriced, they won't be able to sell it and make money. I think that you just need to take this as a lesson to never trust a salesman you don't know too well and that you should always, and then I mean ALWAYS!!, do a bit of research about guitars you want to buy before making a decision.

Good luck!
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
If it was a mistake they should refund it, but you better hope that it's not a commission sale or you ain't getting shit back, if they do disagree I'd be speaking to their head office.
Could easily be a mistake though. Ibanez has way too many letters/numbers after "RG" or any other model. But considering the amount of money lost to that kind of thing...I hope you at least enjoy the guitar.
@Menaphil
If it was a mistake then they should, but I still wouldn't count on it. But then still, the TS should never have bought a guitar for $650 more than it's value.

I think that in this case the TS was hoping for the Prestige and when they didn't had it, he/she was already really psyched about getting a new guitar that he just bought the things the salesman were saying because he wanted a guitar that day. Totally normal reaction but sometimes it can pay off badly. I really hope for the TS that it was a mistake and they will fix it though....
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by JB95

@zl1288:
*snip* I asked them check the guitars worth online *snip*

Do you mean that you asked them to compare it to online retailers like Musicians Friend, zZounds, etc?

If so it makes sense that their price would be higher, not 60% higher, but still higher.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Hey guys!
I just spoke to the employee responsible for the sale, and he just looked up the price and it should be under 930$ rather than around 1500$. As I type this he's shocked by the price and asks the co-workers for an explanation.

I'll make an edit when I get to hear what he has to say after discussing this with the one responsible for labeling the price on the guitar.

sounding like good news, keep us posted.

Appearently they had the exact same model in their store some months ago when it did in fact cost 1500$ and I was told that the price dropped to 950$ not too long ago. The price was for some reason not updated when they received the guitar again. Still I find that hard to believe when you can find a review on this very site dating back to June 15. 2012 where a guy paid 599$ for a brand new one at Musicians Friend. The purchase probably found place even further back in time. It's still at 599$, excluding shipping.

However, they realized that they made a mistake so they gave me a 420$ discount I could use in their store in the future. The reason why it was not higher is because I also got a gigbag when I bought it without paying extra. Kind of a bummer that the previous discount was anulled, but I'm just happy to get my money back.

The discount will most likely go to a set of pickups, because the stock ones are an abomination.

tl;dr:
The store made an mistake and gave me a 420$ discount to fix the issue. The money will probably be spent on replacing the garbage stock pickups. Justice at last.

Happy ending to this story fortunately, but I could spot a new RGD2127FX in the shop as I left. Those bastards, haha!
Last edited by JB95 at Jul 18, 2013,
I'm happy everything worked out for you. Now go and ask them politely of it is possible if you can use that 420 +your guitar + the fact that they should have reserved one for you, for a trade for the RGD2127FX
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30