I wanted to bring some life into my brother's old cheap Ibanez guitar (We share it as a secondary guitar for different tunings) so I purchased a new pickguard; little did I know I'd be getting myself into a mess. After setting it back together and putting the dials and pickups into place I was fairly confident the guitar would function, although I had a few "Is this really going to work?" moments. Plug the guitar in and "BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"
Well, I knew SOMETHING had to be messed up. After taking the pickguard off again (which is actually really difficult and I have to unscrew the neck pickup just to do it) I noticed that the ground wire broke off its connection. After resoldering it back on I plug the guitar back in, estatic to hear no buzzing. But... it creates no noise now. I've gone back and forth a few times and ended up breaking a few more connections and redid them. I'm not the best at soldering things, but the connections previously done were very weak and brittle (cheap guitar, so...)

Here's where I'm at:

print screen windows xp

That's the volume knob. I'm not sure the connections are right... there's three wires (one from pickup selector, one from tone knob, and the ground wire) all connected to one point. Then there's a wire coming from the input jack that's connected to its own point, but technically speaking by metal connection its connected to the other three. It looked to be that way when I opened it originally

image hosting 15mb

Tone dial

how to screenshot on windows 7

Pickup Selector. The main point of interest is the the wires connected to the side. It looks like black wire turns to white wire, but at the same time some of the metal material flows out the outside and is very loosely connected:

[forbidden link]

screen shot in windows

Overall view so you can get a better idea of the flow of things.

Yes, I know I'm bad at soldering, I know the guitar is in bad shape, and I know I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm hear to get some advice and learn so any input would be appreciated.
it doesn't look like your volume pot has the out put wired to the middle lug but is instead wired to the grounded 3rd lug so your signal is all going to ground.
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
it doesn't look like your volume pot has the out put wired to the middle lug but is instead wired to the grounded 3rd lug so your signal is all going to ground.

Thanks for the advice, it DID seem like a logical way to work though my problem

Unfortunately not. I tried three different combinations of ground/output in the two remaining lugs on the volume pot (leaving the connection to the pickup selector and tone knob on the top) and no sound at all in any case. It is not the amp as I've tried 3 different amps and various cords.

Is there any other chances I can fix this myself or will I have to take it to a shop?
Middle lug of the volume goes to the tip (hot) lug of the jack. The inner circular part of the jack is ground.

Your initial problem was probably that you swapped those connections by accident.

Switch wiring seems ok but I've not dealt with those types. In any case you'd likely still get some sort of sound.

If you get absolutely no sound whatsoever (no hum or anything at all) then your signal is being shorted to ground somewhere in the guitar.

The wiring thread sticky was intended to teach people about this stuff... you should check it out.
Quote by Invader Jim
Middle lug of the volume goes to the tip (hot) lug of the jack. The inner circular part of the jack is ground.

Your initial problem was probably that you swapped those connections by accident.

Switch wiring seems ok but I've not dealt with those types. In any case you'd likely still get some sort of sound.

If you get absolutely no sound whatsoever (no hum or anything at all) then your signal is being shorted to ground somewhere in the guitar.

The wiring thread sticky was intended to teach people about this stuff... you should check it out.

Sorry about not consulting other threads first. After switching quite a few connections I now have signal coming through, but a decent amount of buzz has come back, I'm probably going to have to go through and cleanup all my connections then troubleshoot some