Is it possible to change the playback rate of the computer for a song? As in, for example, in windows 7 you can change the playback rate of the computer by going to manage audio devices, under the playback tab, properties of main output, under the advanced tab. From there you can change sample rate/bit depth of the main output. It is by default 16 bit, 44100 hz, which is called cd quality. For the way I recorded all my music, all that has to be done for it to sound correct is for this to be changed to 24 bit, 96000 hz. At 16 bit, 44100 hz it just sounds a little distorted/broken up which is fixed just by changing sample rate/ bit depth. As in, the information is there in a non-wave file it just needs the sample rate/bit depth to be higher. The problem is, I can't change the way is a song is played through the computer. Mixing down with a higher quality does work only it takes up so much space or it just isn't quite there. Does anyone get what I'm trying to do and knows a solution or a workaround? I rather not instruct people on how to change sample rate/bit depth just so they can listen to my song the way it should be heard.
I tried to make it short so if have a question just ask and I'll get back to you. Thanks in advance.
I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but I'll try to give some insight. Whatever quality you record your song is the highest resolution that it can be played back at. So, if you record at 96khz 24 bit then it can playback at any lower resolution it just won't sound as good, which you noted in your post about it sounding more distorted on 16 bit 41 kHz.

You can't however playback at a higher resolution than the source (which is what I interpret as your question.). If recorded at 16 bit 41 kHz then that's the highest it can be. Even if you increase the playback rate & bit depth it won't do anything because the source doesn't have enough information to fill out the extra room because it was already discarded when it was created.

It's like taking a picture then saving it down to a lower resolution & then blowing it up & it's all pixelated. The extra pixels were discarded when you saved it down & you can't get them back just by blowing the image back up. Same principle with digital audio. If you wanna have the highest quality files then you have to pay for it with taking up extra space ,& it's up to the listener to decide what quality they want to listen to it.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
All right, I guess I'll just have higher res files. Not exactly what I want to do but it's cool. Thanks man
For what it's worth, recording at 96kHz is worth it in an interface with not great anti-aliasing filters, but once you've recorded it there's no real reason for it to still be 96k. 44.1 with a good system will reproduce the audio perfectly.

What are you using to convert the file? it could be causing distortion because 96k isn't a multiple of 44.1, but 48k. In future, if you're dead set on recording at a higher sample rate, it's best to record at 88.2kHz so that the conversion process is simpler.

EDIT did you convert the file at all or did you just try and play the 96kHz file with windows set to 44.1?
Last edited by tim_mop at Jul 17, 2013,