Basically.. I have the option of getting either (used):

Nova System $300
G Major + Lexicon MPX R1 $300-350

I'll be using this with a Bugera 333XL 212 (series loop) and a Crybaby 535q. I imagine both will be used through the FX Loop. One big advantage is that I can look at the G-Major in person where as I can't with the Nova (on the other side of the country) which makes me fairly hesistant to get it. Though the G-Major won't be in mint condition like the Nova.

I guess the G-Major seems like a better deal but are there any negatives to it? Maybe too complicated/finicky, never used one but I'm more than willing to take the time and learn.
I would not get either, but if you have to get one, don't get the NOVA. The build quality is absolutely atrocious on both of these units, and you don't want to be stomping on something made by TC Electronics. I have one, and I only activate the switches by hand, yet one of the buttons still managed to sink into the unit and another got stuck during a show. I've heard horror stories of the rack unit as well.

And, if you ask me, very few of the effects are usable. The reverb and delay are fine, but there are much cheaper units that can do them the same or better. The modulation effects sound awful and fake, and the noise gate and compressor are worthless. I have no idea why people like these.

And, did I mention, the NOVA is a HUGE tone sucker? I feel like I'm actually hearing my amp for the first time since I've dumped that POS out of my effects chain.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I would not get either, but if you have to get one, don't get the NOVA. The build quality is absolutely atrocious on both of these units, and you don't want to be stomping on something made by TC Electronics. I have one, and I only activate the switches by hand, yet one of the buttons still managed to sink into the unit and another got stuck during a show. I've heard horror stories of the rack unit as well.

And, if you ask me, very few of the effects are usable. The reverb and delay are fine, but there are much cheaper units that can do them the same or better. The modulation effects sound awful and fake, and the noise gate and compressor are worthless. I have no idea why people like these.

And, did I mention, the NOVA is a HUGE tone sucker? I feel like I'm actually hearing my amp for the first time since I've dumped that POS out of my effects chain.

Oh, but they look so cool!
Quote by lucky1978
Oh, but they look so cool!

Well alot of people like them, but that is my honest opinion. I'm out several hundred dollars because of one, so naturally I'll be a bit cynical
At least be more constructive next time and say which 'cheaper units' you think are better. And considering how these units are used by many 'pros' and toured around the world, I think they are more than good enough for my bedroom use... I don't see how a G-Major would fall apart on my desk as you suggest.

Also you probably didn't have the Nova set up correctly, I've read you have to follow the manual and set up the levels correctly to not get tone sucking.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
At least be more constructive next time and say which 'cheaper units' you think are better. And considering how these units are used by many 'pros' and toured around the world, I think they are more than good enough for my bedroom use... I don't see how a G-Major would fall apart on my desk as you suggest.

Also you probably didn't have the Nova set up correctly, I've read you have to follow the manual and set up the levels correctly to not get tone sucking.

So if you just came in with your mind set on what you wanted to hear, why did you ask for advice? I'm sharing with you my personal experience.
Quote by patriotplayer90
So if you just came in with your mind set on what you wanted to hear, why did you ask for advice? I'm sharing with you my personal experience.

It did make sense and was a perfectly valid opinion based off of experience. Your reasoning seems legit so I'm actually a lil worried bout the tc flashback x4 I just bought. It seems sturdy but as a looper, I'm gonna be kicking the switches thousands of times over its life. Maybe I should be proactive with it.

So ya, your fine, I was being sarcastic. Not sure where the other guy was coming from.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 18, 2013,
Quote by lucky1978
It did make sense and was a perfectly valid opinion based off of experience. Your reasoning seems legit so I'm actually a lil worried bout the tc flashback x4 I just bought. It seems sturdy but as a looper, I'm gonna be kicking the switches thousands of times over its life. Maybe I should be proactive with it.

So ya, your fine, I was being sarcastic. Not sure where the other guy was coming from.

Oh, we're good. That wasn't directed at you. I haven't read too many QC issues about the NOVA system, I guess I was just one of the unlucky ones. I have read many about the G System though. Either way, it's enough to prevent me from buying another one of their products. Hopefully you won't have that problem.
Quote by patriotplayer90

I have my mind set on G-Major OR Nova. I wanted advice on which one, not from someone who had a bad experience with one to tell me don't buy one.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
I have my mind set on G-Major OR Nova. I wanted advice on which one, not from someone who had a bad experience with one to tell me don't buy one.

Really? I'm the opposite, looks like I gained more from your thread than you did so thanks dude.
I think what you want is a digitech rp50, they sound amazing and most pros use an rp25, so your tone would be even better. Just ignore all the haters.
The g major takes quite a lot to setup. It's more versatile than the nova in terms of tweaking parameters I think. I don't particularly think the G major excels at modulation - (But I like most of my phaser and flanger in front of the amp). I have no experience with the nova.

The nova comes with analog drive. The G major doesn't have any drive.

If you are integrating with other effects units, and/or don't need overdrive than the G major. If an all in one multieffects appeals to you, get the nova. The nova also has the ability to be placed in front of the amp (necessary for the drive section).

TC is generally reliable, I've never had any problems with any of their products, nor have I heard of any problems with the G system

Line6 M series multieffects would be the alternative to look into imo
RIP Gooze

cats
Had a friend with a Marshall tube rack system (JMP-1 pre and power amp) and the G-major in the fx loop, the chorus, delay and verb were lusciously fantastic. Build wasn't shoddy either, pretty solid rack and it took a lot of tour beating, never missed a beat. No opinion on the NOVA - haven't heard it or seen it.
The Gmajor had issues related to freezing up randomly, a bad batch got released which had the chip being loose or something. The Gmajor II can be had for $350-375 new, so it would be possible to get one for say $300 or less used.

The Nova system has no fx loop which leaves the analog drive on it in most instances useless when having the nova in the amp's loop. The build quality is good on it though, not g-system good where a tank can drive on it & still functions. It does suck the tone when used which is unavoidable with whatever settings you want to try, but you may not notice it, I did though. There was a modified version of it released by TC a year ago or something, those are better & no suckage of tone.The M13 is what I'd suggest getting over it or even the Zoom G3/G3X. Boss gt series is also good for fx quality & reliability. Digitech RP1000 could be had for less than $300 as well, those have excellent delays & reverbs.

If you are looking for just modulation delay and reverb then individual pedals would be better, look into malekko effects, should be cheap to find & they are reliable, sound very good as well.
Well I've looked at the Line 6 M9/M13 but from experience Line 6 sounds very fake to me. I've used a friend's Pod HD(3/4/500?) a few times, even running through my tube amp and it sounded very fake and lifeless to me. From what I heard and read from TC they seem to be the most natural sounding multi fx. Haven't really heard much from the Zoom/Digitech/Boss etc but I imagine they're fake sounding too plus I don't want or need amp modelling.
Quote by Badmotorfingers

Sorry, I'd suggest the G Major and a sturdy MIDI pedal then. Just Google "TC Electronics G Major broken knob", and you will see there are consistent quality issues among these units. You've been warned.
to be honest I'd rather have 'broken knob' which can be fixed with good effects rather than no broken knob and poor sounding effects
Quote by Badmotorfingers
to be honest I'd rather have 'broken knob' which can be fixed with good effects rather than no broken knob and poor sounding effects

Yeah, for a small fee of $150 by TC Electronics. And I think the effects suck, but that's just me.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Well I've looked at the Line 6 M9/M13 but from experience Line 6 sounds very fake to me. I've used a friend's Pod HD(3/4/500?) a few times, even running through my tube amp and it sounded very fake and lifeless to me. From what I heard and read from TC they seem to be the most natural sounding multi fx. Haven't really heard much from the Zoom/Digitech/Boss etc but I imagine they're fake sounding too plus I don't want or need amp modelling.

Well you won't know until you try, they all have their own tonal signature applied onto the effects, it depends on whose you like the sound of. Anyways, I think you should just go ahead with the Gmajor+MPR combo, the worst that can happen is since considering that particular Gmajor is old, it freezes up & turns into a paper weight after some use, but you'll still have the MPR so you could get another digital fx unit later to use with it. Early Nova system releases also had the same issue of turning into a paper weight on start-up due to faulty chips. It's a gamble you'll have to take since your looking at used gear anyway, I hope you get a non issue one though and have fun with it.

You would have been better off buying used individual pedals though, those would be easier to use & get good sounds out of unless you need the ability to have patches.