I want to buy a new guitar, for ~400$. And would love to have it with a floyd rose, the problem is that i don't know how durable floyd roses are. So is it worth buying guitar with floyd rose for ~400$ or i would be wasting money on floyd rose?
yeah the big problem is that floyds on cheaper guitars tend to be terrible and tend to wear out. it's hard to put an exact dollar amount on how much you need to spend to get a good one, because different companies charge different amounts (and also prices vary depending on where you are in the world), plus you can never discount the possibility of just lucking into a good deal.

But yeah, with $400 I'd say you'd be pretty lucky to get something with a good floyd.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1.
I bought a cheap guitar with floyd and now I realise that it wasn't a good decision. I blocked the bridge because it detuned my guitar. I would never get a cheap guitar with floyd again.
Look for any of the 80's Kramer Focus or F series guitars. They can be had well under $400 and feature an OFR.
The quality of the various Floyd Rose tremolos "Made Under License" varies. The design is sound, but the quality of the metals and the heat treatment of those metals is just all over the map. Some hold up well; others do not. Not surprisingly, the "MUL" Floyds that are found on the more expensive guitars tend to be a lot better than those found on the entry-level, cheaper guitars.

I've always believed that if a Floyd Rose tremolo is an essential component of your playing, then you should spring for the real thing - the Schaller-made Floyds. They usually sell by themselves for somewhere between $180.00 and $200.00. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Remember: even the Schaller units might not hold up if you are afflicted with "TFI" disease (TFI = Terminal Floyd Insanity). An overdose of Herman Li tremolo abuse is likely to damage even the best units.

Maybe that's why Herman doesn't use a Floyd, but an Ibanez Edge Zero tremolo?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jul 17, 2013,
Ibanez S420/S320
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Ibanez S420/S320

+1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Get the guitar you want, then swap it with a 100% real Floyd Rose tremolo. It will run you in the $150-200 range or so. Just make sure it is not a "Licensed By Floyd Rose" cheap tremolo. The metal used is a die cast instead of machined, hardened steel. I still have a 1991 Floyd in a Peavey Patriot beat to shit and it is flawless, those things last forever.
Quote by FlorinC
Get the guitar you want, then swap it with a 100% real Floyd Rose tremolo.

it's not always a direct swap, though. which massively ups the cost and bother (into the "not really worth it" range, IMO, especially on a cheaper guitar).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I saw good reviews about Ibanez RG870Z BK and it's Edge Zero II Tremolo, does it also easily wear off?
supposedly they're not as bad as the older cheapo ibanez trems, but it's still the cheaper trem...

Never tried one. but again, i'd be wary. once bitten, twice shy and all that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 6th
I saw good reviews about Ibanez RG870Z BK and it's Edge Zero II Tremolo, does it also easily wear off?

It seems so good so far.

But no one knows for sure yet. It simply has not been out long enough for it to have stood the test of time yet.

Design is good though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Edge Zero IIs have been out for a couple of years and I haven't heard of them breaking down so quickly like the Edge III does.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.