Guys like Eric Clapton often add chords during some solos, and they sound really good. So how exactly do I add chords on solos.

Should it be during the first strum of the chord or the last? How much chords from the progression should I add? How can I make it not sound awkward? Thanks a lot!
Are you talking about chords or stuff like double stops?

I wouldn't worry about the strum pattern. Use your ear.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Stevie Ray Vaughan's another guy who used chords in his solos, mainly double stops in the key of the solo I think.
Last edited by RebelDawg13 at Jul 18, 2013,
use chords and double stops as often as you like. The only challenge is keeping track of which chord/harmony you're playing over. It's a pretty effective way to build intensity in a rock solo if you don't have another guitar or keyboard backing you. In jazz and blues it's a pretty essential technique.

You can practice by holding a triad and letting your spare finger(s) play with melody notes above it.

You can also hit a chord at the beginning of a measure/phrase and melody notes in between the chords. This is an effective way to play over chord changes. Try a very basic pattern - just hit the chord on the first beat of each chord change, and solo in between them.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jul 17, 2013,