Unfortunately NO guitar shops within a 200 mile radius of my house have any of these guitars and I'm not sure why but i was wondering which one is the best deal? I like them all and thats the problem and each of them suits the type of music i play but i was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these particular guitars and could shed some light before i order one.
Last edited by metalcranium at Jul 17, 2013,
Personally, I'd go with the Jackson or the LTD. I prefer LTD's in a lot of cases but that's just my preference.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I've never played a Schecter before, but I have played quite a few ESPs and Jacksons. Both make really good guitars. I would go for the Jackson because I prefer passive Seymour Duncan s to active EMGs. Though the ESP may be higher quality though since I believe the 1000 series are made in Korea while the Jackson is made in Indonesia, I think they may have moved all Pro series production to Mexico now but don't quote me on that.
Yeah i heard that the Pro series is made in indonesia i also heard that indonesian guitars are not that bad of quality though. There just are not that much information on the pro series guitars which makes me a little nervous especially not being able to play the guitar before i spend $900
i think the bolt-on jackson pros are made in mexico now, but the neck thrus and set necks aren't (not sure where, maybe indonesia? india? ). I don't think the sl2 is bolt-on.

Out of those i'd probably go with the ltd. I haven't tried them all (or even that specific model) so that's just my gut feeling.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Jackson is the odd man out here - do you want passives (JB/59) or actives? (81/85)? That's a big deal in itself, the fact that the Jackson is in the list tells me that you're not exactly sure what you want.

In addition, the Schecter has the 81TW/89 set, which objectively puts it above the LTD.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a pretty good idea of what i want but pickups have never truely influenced my decision on a guitar because you can just change them out and find them cheap on eBay. I was more or less interested in which guitar would stand up the because this is going to be my first good guitar. I have a jackson js32 now but its not a really good guitar.
Oh, okay. You should edit the OP to say the pickups don't matter because you'll probably swap them.

Well, what don't you like about your Jackson?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well its very cheaply made. Indian Cedro body which is really cheap and doesnt have that much sustain and the hardware is really cheap i had to replace the pots and pickups in it. Other than that the action is great and it has great playability
I do have a bias towards Jackson because of how good the old Pro Series was. But maybe time have changed. I don't really know since the new Pro series is so recent. They do look killer and are nicely specced though.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
To be honest, replacing pots is something that will likely have to be done on any guitar that is made in huge quantities with relatively minimal QC (including MIK and low end MIJ guitars).

Pickups are neither here or there... as you said, and I agree absolutely, they aren't really an issue, the handful of different pickups that come stock is a joke compared to the selection of what is available aftermarket.

I don't now much about the SL2 Pro. The Schecter and the LTD are almost identical in a lot of ways. They're both owned/produced by the same parent company in the same factories, AFAIK. In my experience, LTDs have always felt like a higher quality product. Schecters look cheap and feel cheap, but that is only my opinion.

The Jackson looks great, but given Jackson's recent troubles, I wouldn't be surprised if their QC was lower as well. But I really don't know, just total speculation here.

So it's pretty much a crap shoot. Without being able to try them yourself, there's really not much that can be done.

I'll say the LTD is probably the safest bet.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Schecter and played a hellraiser. They are great guitars but they are different to the jacksons and LTD's. The necks are a bit thicker on the Schecters. The custom series are bit thinner than a 60's gibson neck and the hellraisers are again a bit thinner than that. But still noticable more mass than a Jackson or LTD. You should try them out to see which neck you prefer.

I personally do not think my C1 Custom and the hellraiser I tried felt cheap at all. however, the Blackjack I tried did feel like a toy in my hands. So I wouldn't buy one before trying them out.

Also, Schecter has a reputation of having bad higher fret acces but this is simply not true with the models that have the Ultra Acces heel. The models below that, do have a annoying neck heel.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
Last edited by Patrick89 at Jul 17, 2013,
What recent troubles is jackson in? i haven't heard anything about that. My biggest fear is spending $900+ on a guitar and it not being worth it or me having to put more money into it. Are there any other guitar brands that are on top of there game right now?
I'm not positive on the details, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong: Jackon's Japanese factory got flooded, I believe? In any case their Japanese factory is gone, and the loss of it really threw a wrench in their operations and mucked everything up. So all of their lower end guitars are now being produced in countries that generally are known for lower end QC (China, Indonesia, etc.).

Ibanez is on fire the past couple years. Really great stuff. Edge Zero/II is a great design, and the new truss rod cover compartment is just genius.

Ibanez is always improving on all the little things that 99% of other companies just stagnate on. Everyone else is using the same old TOMs and Floyd Roses, while Ibanez is developing their own alternatives. The Gibralter feels amazing, no sharp edges anywhere. And the Edge Zero/ZR has an adjustable tension adjustment wheel, so you don' even have to take the back cover off. Absolutely no messing around with a trem claw and screws/screwdriver.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 17, 2013,
Yeah i kind of figured that ibanez would come up because they are a really big name right now. I was also looking at the ibanez rg920qmz guitar but i just dont like the fact that its a bolt on neck
I hate how fanboy-y I probably come off when I say what I say, but whatever...

Ibanez has the AANJ neck joint... for all intent and purposes, it achieves the same thing that a neck through build achieves. There is a heel, but it doesn't hinder upper fret access in any way, as opposed to the typical Fender/Jackson/Schecter style bolt on heel does.

To be completely honest, the AANJ allows better access than most set neck designs and even some neck through designs. The difference is pretty massive. In these pictures you can see, just look at the cutaway on the Ibanez heel. Sorry for the size disparities, they're the two most comparable small pics I could find, I don't feel like resizing them myself.

Jackson:

Ibanez:

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'm not positive on the details, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong: Jackon's Japanese factory got flooded, I believe? In any case their Japanese factory is gone, and the loss of it really threw a wrench in their operations and mucked everything up. So all of their lower end guitars are now being produced in countries that generally are known for lower end QC (China, Indonesia, etc.).

I don't think they got flooded, I think they effectively got priced out of the market and FMIC decided to take their business elsewhere once the contract ran out. Chushin Gakki hadn't been in the best financial health anyway and had to shut down.

What this means for the new pro series is that currently the dinkies are being made in FMIC Mexico, and the neckthroughs are being made in Indonesia somewhere. I get the feeling that Mexico wasn't geared up to do neckthrough, so they only took the bolt-ons there, the dinkies and the Charvel pro-mods.

I have heard though that they were a bit unsatisfied with some of the Indonesian work and so they're planning on eventually moving the whole line to Mexico. I'm not sure whether that's still for the future or whether it's in progress now.

As to the neck heels above, Jackson have launched a new 3-bolt design on their Mexican-made dinkies.

Looks a bit less obstructive than the old block. Though I have to say I never found fret access on the block style one to be a problem; I've got two and I can get to the upper frets just fine.

And the SL2 that OP is considering is a neckthrough anyway!
^ Oh yeah, I completely forgot about their new heel. Thanks for pointing that out.

And thanks for the info. Not sure why I remember reading it flooded.

As for upper fret access, all I can say is that it is completely dependent on the person. I know, like you tons of people have no issue and don't see what the problem is. That's fine, but for a lot of people it does matter, so... Just all about what the individual needs.

I know the SL2 is neck through, but that info was moreso just to illustrate that having a bolt on build doesn't necessarily mean that upper fret access will be bad, as block heels are for many people.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Not trying to blow this forum but i also found another guitar that i like its the PRS SE torero any food for thought on that one as well?
Quote by metalcranium
So the quality of the indonesian Jacksons are not up to par?

Nobody really knows because they're such recently introduced guitars. I'm sure they're not 'bad', in my experience I've hardly ever seen a Jackson with poor QC. But nobody knows for certain. IMO they're the best-looking out of all the three guitars by far, I'd honestly get one just because they look so awesome.
Quote by metalcranium
Not trying to blow this forum but i also found another guitar that i like its the PRS SE torero any food for thought on that one as well?

I've played several of them. I think they're alright, but for the price range they're very, very average. They're good guitars, but nothing about them is particularly special or interesting.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 18, 2013,
Yeah i really like the way the jackson looks but then again i have always been the fan of the way Jacksons look. Thank you all for your responses
Quote by metalcranium
So the quality of the indonesian Jacksons are not up to par?

I think that if there have been problems, they're ones that have been caught in the factory. They probably catch too many duds in QC, and would rather reduce their overheads and get more axes right the first time. Anyway, I highly doubt that the guitars that make it to sale will be of poor quality.

I couldn't say how well they stack up against the competition though. I haven't played one.

I know of one person on the JCF who bought an SL2Q. Apart from having an issue with stripping a locking nut, apparently it was very good. But one instance doesn't make a for a good sample size!
No it certainly doesn't and that the thing that worries me because it is a new factory with a new guitar even if it is from one of the top guitar manufacturers of all time it could still be a bad line
How about a Carvin ST/DC built to your specifications? For the sky-high price you pay on a guitar made in Indonesia or Korea (fair, Korean guitars are now quite good, but not worth USA prices), you can get what you want at a decent price, made in USA. Good deals exist on used Carvins at Guitar Center. If you can stretch your budget a little or go used, you can get more for your money with this product.

The Jackson is the one instrument I actually like most, but I feel what you're getting at that price point isn't really worth the money spent, and it is a good $300 too many. You can, instead, opt for one of the SLAT series of Jackson Soloists, which come for a lot less, and with decent specifications (neck-through, mahongany/maple body and maple neck, EMG 81-85 and Floyd Rose Special), and possibly even get one to try out. If you're buying one new, try to use a saver coupon to save some more.
Quote by metalcranium
No it certainly doesn't and that the thing that worries me because it is a new factory with a new guitar even if it is from one of the top guitar manufacturers of all time it could still be a bad line

By the same merit, it may well be the case that Jackson are aware of this happening with other manufacturers. So they will double up on QC to account for it.
Quote by TheSennaj
Yeah I recently started looking at the carvins but on the reviews I read on them they have been having some QC issues as of late Im not expecting the perfect guitar but I want something that will last me a while. I do have a lot of faith in jackson I have never played on that was a crappy guitar they have always been good instruments to me at least I just don't like the fact of indonesia