View poll results: did you cry
evrytiem
4 44%
smetiem
2 22%
never
3 33%
Voters: 9.
If you've ever watched ESPN you know what this is. Probably the most famous speech in all of sports. Basically, this basketball coach named Jim Valvano got diagnosed with cancer in 1992 and received an award at the ESPY awards (which is a sports awards show) in 1993. He gave this badass speech after receiving the award and he died 8 weeks later. I cry everytime I watch it. If you haven't seen it you should watch it because if it doesn't inspire you then are probably dead already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

Cry with me Pit.

Also post stuff that inspires you if you want. This speech gets me so pumped for life and shit.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Jul 17, 2013,
Jimmy V was a great dude. I remember watching this speech in 9th grade Biology. The 30 for 30 special about NC State was really, really good.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I heard he is a real werewolf. Go ahead, try to find a picture of him taken when it's a full moon! you cant!
Listen. I'm sorry.
There was a famous baseball player who had Lou Gehrig's disease, I forget his name, but that's not important.

But **** him, he wasn't important.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I have been meaning to watch this speech for forever. Will give it a look once I finish this game of Tecmo.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Freddie Mercury makes me cry.

Brian May - “By the time we were recording these other tracks after Innuendo, we had had the discussions and we knew that we were totally on borrowed time because Freddie had been told that he would not make it to that point. I think our plan was to go in there whenever Freddie felt well enough, just to make as much use of him as much as possible, we basically lived in the studio for a while and when he would call and say, 'I can come in for a few hours', our plan was to just make as much use of him as we could, you know he told us, 'Get me to sing anything, write me anything and I will sing it and I will leave you as much as I possibly can.' ”
That beautiful bastard...
As someone who has a degree in communications and rather enjoyed studying the element of rhetoric during my 4.5 years of getting a bachelors degree, I have no interest in this sappy, vapid bull-crap.
^It's not about the quality of the speech itself, but rather his outlook just weeks before his death.

I do not watch ESPN and I had never even heard of him before though. I didn't cry, but it was a moving speech. That's how you properly go down.

I don't intend to take away attention from him but a childhood friend died of cancer this week (and people in my family have died from it before). I often have to remind myself how serious it is; anyone who can remain so optimistic after being diagnosed with a disease like that is inspirational.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 17, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
I have been meaning to watch this speech for forever. Will give it a look once I finish this game of Tecmo.

I intentionally avoided it for years, but during that Jimmy V basketball tournament/month/week/whatever it was in like February they showed it and I watched it and it was great.
If I watched this again I'd burst into tears so I'm good
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by snipelfritz
As someone who has a degree in communications and rather enjoyed studying the element of rhetoric during my 4.5 years of getting a bachelors degree, I have no interest in this sappy, vapid bull-crap.

oh it's sappy vapid bull-crap but the circumstances surrounding the speech, especially combined with his last statement, are actually tear jerking.
Quote by Eastwinn
oh it's sappy vapid bull-crap but the circumstances surrounding the speech, especially combined with his last statement, are actually tear jerking.

Kairos.

That's the term for that.
The fact that he was 8 weeks from dying, needed help to get to the podium, talked for a long ass time without getting cut off as would happen these days, spoke with such optimism, and basically gave his own eulogy are all enough for me to put this in a different category than your typical motivation speech. Jimmy V's speech was genuine; other sappy vapid motivational cheeseball speeches are usually not. That's why it's so great.
Quote by bradulator
The fact that he was 8 weeks from dying, needed help to get to the podium, talked for a long ass time without getting cut off as would happen these days, spoke with such optimism, and basically gave his own eulogy are all enough for me to put this in a different category than your typical motivation speech. Jimmy V's speech was genuine; other sappy vapid motivational cheeseball speeches are usually not. That's why it's so great.

Yeah but he has a degree in communications, you can't argue with an expert like him
Quote by darkcheef
Yeah but he has a degree in communications, you can't argue with an expert like him

And he's an alcoholic. That's just a solid defense right there.
Quote by blake1221
And he's an alcoholic. That's just a solid defense right there.

Kairos.

That's the term for that.

...ok, actually that's ethos.
But really, I'm espousing my opinion that I'd rather spend my time analyzing Mary Fisher's speech to the 1992 Republican National Convention than Jimmy Valvano's speech at the 1993 ESPY's.

Because I'm a shitty person...
Quote by snipelfritz
But really, I'm espousing my opinion that I'd rather spend my time analyzing Mary Fisher's speech to the 1992 Republican National Convention than Jimmy Valvano's speech at the 1993 ESPY's.

Because I'm a shitty person...

well then why don't you go make a thread "mary fisher's speech" and talk to yourself about how great your communications degree is.
Quote by blake1221
hahahaha good answer.

Actually, a "great" answer would have used the term "ad hominem."

Quote by blake1221
So is Hitler an actually good speaker?

Hitler was(remember our tenses blakey-poo) a fantastic orator. You'd have to be an idiot to say otherwise (evidence: inspiring the holocaust). Beside infrastrutural planning (which was, as a whole, arguably his own ideation), he was just an angry painter.