Hey, there's so many Different Guitar Tunings out there. I've been using lately a lot of Drop A tuning just writing my own stuff, but also been really inclined towards some other tunings like Open and Modal Tunings. Anyone else into these tunings?

I am looking for some popular songs that use these weird tunings to learn, any ideas into this?

Currently putting together a list (still working on it) on my site with songs that use alt tunings, you can see it here - Guitarstringtheory.com/tips-tricks/different-guitar-tunings/
I believe that it's great that you are taking it upon yourself to be creative and experiment with different tunings. Although I don't do the sort of think myself I definitely acknowledge the possibilities that these alternate tuning allow. From what I'm aware of, Periphery uses some pretty strange tunings in some of there songs.

As a few words of courtesy I advise that you refrain from using the term "Modal" tuning. People will flame you as if you're the spawn of satan.
hey can you help me manually tune my guitar to drop d.
What? Modal tunings? Wtf is so modal about a guitar tuning? Is it a "thing" now to just tag the word "modal" onto whatever and hope it makes you sound like you actually know your theory?
Thanks Danny for the support there, I'll check out periphery for sure.

Quote by dannydawiz
As a few words of courtesy I advise that you refrain from using the term "Modal" tuning. People will flame you as if you're the spawn of satan.

Also I believe you are correct, have a look at the clown's comments above (crazysam23_Atax).

@coorej Yeh dude all you have to do is tune the Low E string down a whole tone to D. If you play the D note on the 5th fret 5th string and tune the 6th string an octave lower there it is. Let is know if you have any issues.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
What? Modal tunings? Wtf is so modal about a guitar tuning? Is it a "thing" now to just tag the word "modal" onto whatever and hope it makes you sound like you actually know your theory?

I'm really having trouble learning modal picking. I hear all the best shredders use it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ive tuned my guitar to constently the same note, different octaves of course. Learn thr fretboard? Ha thats for normal people.
check out some of Sonic Youth's songs. They brought like 20 guitars with them last time I saw them in concert. Had a guitar for each song almost because they change the tunings so frequent.
@Morphogenesis26 Thanks for that link dude. Also such a random outburst by that other guy. And @CartoonPiranha I don't mind JBT I'll def look at learning that song & Sonic Youth also thanks @sweetdude3000.

Keep them coming.
Quote by GuitarStringThe
Also I believe you are correct, have a look at the clown's comments above (crazysam23_Atax).

Yes, the guy who points out that you know nothing about modes is a clown...

Anyway, I'll help you out, because I'm feeling charitable. Look into several of Sonic Youth's songs. They use a few different alternate tunings.

Edit:
Apparently, sweetdude beat me to it. Could always try some open tunings, like Open C (CGEGCE, for example) or Open A (EAEAC#E). One of my favorite open tunings is D6/9 (DADF#BE).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 19, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, the guy who points out that you know nothing about modes is a clown...

Irrespective of who knows more about modes, The Point I'm making is that your response to a simple question was rude as hell. Everyone here is learning and no one needs to be belittled by someone when they ask a question 'for knowledge' purposes.

Let's move on, no hard feelings. I appreciate your later response. Thanks for the input.

Keep them coming.