Hi guys,
I am conflicted between these two amps. I can't decide at all. One moment I think Peavey, the other rectifier. Price is not a factor. Please give suggestion according to tone of the amps. FYI, huge fan of Petrucci. I have some gigs coming up so have to decide soon. What do you guys think?
Thanks a lot!!
Pointless thread is pointless. You'll get differing opinions on either amp, all subjective and some biased. You have to use your ears and decide which one you like the best.

Play them, if possible. We can't make your mind up for you. They're both very different amps.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Its not really possible for me to play them side by side. And the amps are 3 hours away from me in opposite directions. So as soon as I get there, I have to buy it kinda situation. I am just wondering what can bring me closer to the petrucci lead solo sound between those two.
I don't think I'd go with a triple for Petrucci. He's used dual recs in the past and pretty much uses either mark IIc's or mark V's now. And Petrucci's lead tone is pretty much mark IIc (or a mark v in IIc mode).

If money is not a factor, I'd go with a mark V.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by tanjilmzhd
Its not really possible for me to play them side by side. And the amps are 3 hours away from me in opposite directions. So as soon as I get there, I have to buy it kinda situation. I am just wondering what can bring me closer to the petrucci lead solo sound between those two.

Fair enough. I wouldn't say either amps are really 'Petrucci voiced ' really. I guess it would depend on the kind of stuff you're playing.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Like I am looking into like Hollow Years solo tone from Live at Budokan. I would have got mark V but it's nowhere around here close enough for me to grab it. I know these are not JP specific amps, but like I am really stuck with these two. I like the heaviness (or fullness) of the Mesa (Peavey sounds a bit harsh) but the Peavey has a killer lead which most people complain against the Mesa for fast playing and stuff.
Where do you live? Not in the US I presume?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Mesa is not a lead amp, like at all. If its not a post-2010 model, its going to have a very loose lowend, and much less clarity than a 2 channel or 2010+ model. Cleans are better than the 6505+.

6505+ is much tighter. Lots more note definition and will work great for leads. Really, it will sound nothing like Petrucci, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Offworld92
Where do you live? Not in the US I presume?

Canada man. Sucks cause I have my first gig in two weeks. And mark Vs are not common at all here. It's all Marshall and Traynors.
Well Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world, can you be a little more specific for location? Long & Mcquade is the largest cross Canada chain and they carry Mesa. Here in NB, we have 2 stores that each have the mark V head and combo in stock. I've had them bring in guitars, from other stores, in about a week (Alberta to NB).

I couldn't see myself buying the wrong amp just because I need _anything_ in a hurry. If worse comes to worse, I'd just rent an amp short term and then buy what you need later on. The triple rec is loose and neither of your choices are really lead amps. Specially for Petrucci lead tones! Actually, for the ToT tour, he was using road kings, so you should be able to go with a dual rectifier, either an older 2ch or 2010+ 3ch.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Around Kingston, the stores are pretty far. lol. And that's actually a good idea to rent an amp out. And why do you say they are not really lead amps. I thought the Peavey would be pretty awesome. But I might be wrong, this is my first tube amp.
Very different amps. As some have said, the Triple is quite big and loose sounding and can get quite fizzy on some models. The 6505+ is a lot tighter and more cutting.

Another thing to add is they don't just sound different but also feel different to play.
Errr more like, not the lead amp you're looking for. Those creamy liquid Petrucci solo tones are pretty much pure mesa mark IIc+.

You're what? 90min away from both Ottawa and Oshua? Both stores have the mark V head & combos in stock. Ottawa also has dual rectifiers. I'd bring your guitar(s) down to one of those stores, plant your ass down and play them for a couple hours. You could also find out what their return policy is. When I was looking at a mesa 2x12 cab, the guys at my local L&M said I could always 'buy' a cab and see if I liked it. If I didn't, just return before 30 days. And if I did like, I could always get them to order a brand new one instead of keeping the floor demo Have no idea if that's standard procedure, I have spent quite a bit of money there

Are you looking at a head + cab? Or a combo? And is used an option? You have a very nice used market compared to here in NB :P Quick kijiji search for all Ontario gives all kinds of nice results, road king combo for $1600 or head for $1450. Mark V combo for $2k or a head for $1900. And a bunch of rectifiers. I'd need another guitar rack for some of those low price Ibby prestiges that I see on kijiji Ont :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 18, 2013,
Yea I am looking at head + cab and used is an option too. I probably will rent out some stuff from them and just sit around in stores for hours testing the amps out. I am now actually thinking of going to Toronto and look at the L&M there. Apparently thats the biggest one. Plus, Steve's music store is around there too. Also, had no idea about the Guitar Center deals. Lol. Still a lot to think about...
Only problem with buying in the US is dealing with customs if you had to return it.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Only problem with buying in the US is dealing with customs if you had to return it.

Not if he takes it back to the GC.

I agree with Offworld, order to the Syracuse GC take a drive down there pick it up and you are winning. You will get USA prices which I know are much cheaper
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Keep in mind that if you drive down and buy an amp in America you will be charged brokerage fees when you bring the amp back across the border. These will run you between $150-300 depending on how much you pay for the amp. This makes the "cheaper in America" justification meaningless sometimes.

I have bought a Markbass head that costed $1000 and had to pay $230 in brokerage, and I have bought a Fryette Deliverance 120 head and matching 4X12 cab and had to pay about $320 in brokerage. The Fryette was worth that, where the only Markbass wasn't - the only justification for it was because that specific Markbass head wasn't available in Canada.

But, hey, you could just try to bring it across and not claim it. But if you get caught then you will likely have the amp taken from your possession and you will be put on a border watch list.
Quote by bowen
Keep in mind that if you drive down and buy an amp in America you will be charged brokerage fees when you bring the amp back across the border. These will run you between $150-300 depending on how much you pay for the amp. This makes the "cheaper in America" justification meaningless sometimes.

I have bought a Markbass head that costed $1000 and had to pay $230 in brokerage, and I have bought a Fryette Deliverance 120 head and matching 4X12 cab and had to pay about $320 in brokerage. The Fryette was worth that, where the only Markbass wasn't - the only justification for it was because that specific Markbass head wasn't available in Canada.

But, hey, you could just try to bring it across and not claim it. But if you get caught then you will likely have the amp taken from your possession and you will be put on a border watch list.

How does this work? I've only been across the border to Mexico, and that was back in the 90s before everything got super crazy recently.

Can't you just throw it in the trunk and drive across? Do they search cars?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by bowen

Yeah, I would not claim it. Put it in the trunk and say nothing, if they ask, you bought it second hand in Canada.

I have never had my car searched by the Canadian Border checks. My wife is from Watertown, NY which is 30 min from the border.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Keep the receipt in your wallet, just say you're a musician and it's yours.

I mean, that's not even a lie.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, I would not claim it. Put it in the trunk and say nothing, if they ask, you bought it second hand in Canada.

I have never had my car searched by the Canadian Border checks. My wife is from Watertown, NY which is 30 min from the border.

Bad ****ing idea, they can seize anything you don't declare. Or add a note to tear your car apart every time you come back into Canada. Not to mention, the burden of proof is on you. I have all my camera gear registered with CBSA, so if they ask about them, I can just show the filled out green card.

If you do not declare goods, or if you falsely declare them, the CBSA can seize the goods. This means that you may lose the goods permanently or that you may have to pay a penalty to get them back. Depending on the type of goods and the circumstances involved, the CBSA may impose a penalty that ranges from 25% to 80% of the value of the seized goods.

In addition, the Customs Act provides border services officers with the authority to seize all vehicles that were used to import goods unlawfully. When this happens, the CBSA imposes a penalty that you must pay before the vehicle is returned to you.

If you do not declare tobacco products and alcoholic beverages at the time of importation, the CBSA will seize them permanently.

A record of infractions is kept in the CBSA computer system. If you have an infraction record, you may have to undergo a more detailed examination on future trips. You may also become ineligible for the NEXUS and CANPASS programs.

The only way you get charged brokerage fees is if you have something shipped into Canada. Canada Post charges something like $5 plus applicable taxes (HST or GST+PST) and any relevant duties. FedEx and UPS will charge much more than the $5 and you still get dinged for other fees.

Bringing something back in your own car will just means you will have to, at minimum, pay tax. Since Mesa is a US company, there wouldn't be any duties.

But there are tons of used Mesa amps in Ontario on Kijiji. Just buy one of those and not worry about border/taxes.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice!! I think I'm going to settle with Dual Rectifier and an Orange 2X12 to go with it. Tested them out. Mark V and Dual blow out the Peavey for me but Mark V takes too long to get the sound. I like the Dual's heaviness and I got something close to Petrucci solo lead with that amp which sounded pretty sweet. The distortion is epic on dual though!
^was the dual you tried a new one? The 2010 models and newer are much different sounding than the 3 channels before it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm sorry to hear that. (Just kidding)

Try as I might, I cannot seem to get a good sound out of a Dual Rec -- not even close to the brutal WIN I've gotten out of every 6505 I've plugged into. I've played 5-6 different Dual Recs from combos to halfstacks and they always sound lackluster to me. Just kind of spongy with no punch, lol. I'm probably doing it wrong...

Anyway, enjoy your new amp -- I know plenty of people swear by them.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I am not going to lie. 6505+ is a killer, you need about a good 15 minutes to dial it in, and you can get some crazy stuff out of it. The dual on the other hand took me like an hour. The Peavey definitely has peel your face off gain. But it sounded harsh to me. The Dual was much fuller. I tend to like a bit of clarity in playing (on each individual note I mean) to like really appreciate the music and Dual's tiny bit less gain and tone provided that. But again, Peavey is a great amp and its clean is also good too on 6505+. I don't know why most people complain. It sounded decent.
Quote by MatrixClaw
^was the dual you tried a new one? The 2010 models and newer are much different sounding than the 3 channels before it.

I tried both ones, kinda prefer the 2010+ model. But the old ones are good too. Not too different I would say. Had then side by side.
Quote by tanjilmzhd
I tried both ones, kinda prefer the 2010+ model. But the old ones are good too. Not too different I would say. Had then side by side.

That's interesting. The old 3 channels are some of the muddiest amps I've ever heard. Super loose lowend, one of my least favorite amps I've ever owned. Had a Triple once that sounded absolutely disgusting, no clarity whatsoever and the flubbiest lowend I've ever heard in my life. The Dual I had with KT77s in it sounded quite a bit better, but still lacked the clarity the original 2 channels had. If you liked the 3 channel, I'd imagine you'd LOVE the 2 channel, it's like a night and day difference as far as clarity and tightness is concerned.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com