Page 1 of 2
Hello,

I would like to buy a Gibson guitar, a Gibson Les Paul tribute future, but I need an advice from you.
I currently own an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II guitar with Gibson Burstbucker pro pickups in it.
I am looking for a Gibson product (because of the market value in the future if I sell it) but I can't afford standard or traditional models (Unfortunately I'm young and unemployed hahahaha).
I would like to know if I will "feel" the difference between these 2 guitars. I don't mind about the sound of the pickups, the important things to me are the woods and the neck.
I like fat necks and I don't play mainly metal so I don't need a neck for very fast playing (like Ibanez guitars for example).
If someone has tried both of these guitars (or similar products) could he please tell me if I will get advantages from getting this particular Gibson les paul model?
I would like to receive informations only from people who have tried these guitars (or at least one of these) and not from people who talk from what they have heard from internet or other people.
I have already tried the tribute future guitar, but that day the shop was full of customers and I have only been able to play it for very little time and without a pick.

Thank you,

Francesco
you will, they are very different guitars.

the tribute studios have a unfinished/polished satin like feel to them, similar to the back of the neck of the ultra but not as smooth.

the tribute is probably a pound or two lighter in weight as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
you will, they are very different guitars.

the tribute studios have a unfinished/polished satin like feel to them, similar to the back of the neck of the ultra but not as smooth.

the tribute is probably a pound or two lighter in weight as well.

lighter than the Epi Ultra II ?

I highly doubt it will be lighter than 3,2 Kg
I have two Gibson LP Studios, and believe it or not I actually prefer them to most Standards & Customs I've played.

With my Worn Brown Satin Studio (sometimes also just called Faded Brown) I chose it over the Standards & Customs in the shop I found it in because I liked the feel of the neck due to the feel of the neck which didn't have the same over-polished finish as the more expensive models. I almost didn't try it because it was the cheaper model, but I'll forever be glad I did, I fell in love with it instantly.

Gibsons are always better than Epiphones, they're definitely worth the extra money. Also, if it's always been your dream to own a Gibson an Epiphone will never fully satisfy you.

Trust me, buy the Gibson. You won't regret it.

Also, if you like fat necks I'd thoroughly recommend getting one with the 50s profile neck. Both of mine have it & it's awesome.

Quote by paruwi

I've never bothered weighing it, but my LP Studio Swamp Ash is probably the lightest guitar I've ever owned
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by paruwi

It weighs around 10lbs, which is 4.5kg.

The Gibson most likely weighs around 9lbs.
not that one. it's around 8.

lemme find the pic of mine.
yep, less than 8 pounds.

they're thinner than most les pauls by a bit.

paruwi i didn't realize the epi was that light. they must chamber the hell out of them.

i was off by a 1/4 kilo.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 18, 2013,
The internet never lies. Honest.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The internet never lies. Honest.

I am a French model...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks you all,

and what can you tell me about this Gibson and other models? I mean, is the tribute future different from standards or traditionals only because of the painting? Or the materials used on it are cheaper quality ones?.
Is there so much difference in quality between the tribute future and a standard (except for the finishes)?
The whole point of LP Studios is that they're functionally exactly the same as the Standard. Same wood, same hardware etc. The finish is what makes the difference.

You shouldn't limit yourself to only that model - as Gibsons are hand made rather than mass produced in a factory they all have their own personality. You need to actually play the guitar you buy. The best advice is to go to as many shops as possible and try as many different guitars as possible - you may find (like I did) that the right guitar for you is one you wouldn't have considered if you hadn't played it.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I am a French model...
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jul 18, 2013,
Quote by GaryBillington
The whole point of LP Studios is that they're functionally exactly the same as the Standard. Same wood, same hardware etc. The finish is what makes the difference.

You shouldn't limit yourself to only that model - as Gibsons are hand made rather than mass produced in a factory they all have their own personality. You need to actually play the guitar you buy. The best advice is to go to as many shops as possible and try as many different guitars as possible - you may find (like I did) that the right guitar for you is one you wouldn't have considered if you hadn't played it.

the tributes are pretty much mass produced in a factory. in fact every guitar in the the gibson usa manufacturing facility is. Standards, Traditionals etc. Much of the work is done by machine or human and machine, but that's been common in the industry to one degree or another since the cnc machines started forming the bodies etc.

aside custom shop, gibsons are most certainly a mass produced guitar. some would say even the custom shop is a mass production type scenario. i'm not saying i do, i'm just saying some would.

totally agree on everything else, but that is what it is.

I have an epiphone les paul and a gibson sg and les paul, the gibsons are leagues better. The Sg is a 2009, the GLP is an 08, and the Epiphone is a 2009, the epiphone has already had to have its electronics replaced due to how shitty the pots were. On the Gibsons all I have done is swap around the hardware a little and played them 50x more. Get the nicer guitar, you will be glad you did.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by gregs1020
yep, less than 8 pounds.

they're thinner than most les pauls by a bit.

paruwi i didn't realize the epi was that light. they must chamber the hell out of them.

i was off by a 1/4 kilo.

yep, they do, the Ultra series is the only Epi LP with this kind of chambering

Quote by Mephaphil
According to the Internet the ultra 2 weighs 10lb.

Sorry - NO, your interwebz fails...

see my post above....
Quote by paruwi
yep, they do, the Ultra series is the only Epi LP with this kind of chambering

you need an avatar. you certainly post enough to not look like a noob with no avatar.

plus you're one of a handful of people that i trust when it comes to epiphones or LP's in general.
Quote by gregs1020
the tributes are pretty much mass produced in a factory. in fact every guitar in the the gibson usa manufacturing facility is. Standards, Traditionals etc. Much of the work is done by machine or human and machine, but that's been common in the industry to one degree or another since the cnc machines started forming the bodies etc.

aside custom shop, gibsons are most certainly a mass produced guitar. some would say even the custom shop is a mass production type scenario. i'm not saying i do, i'm just saying some would.

totally agree on everything else, but that is what it is.

A bit of semantics perhaps, but there's a definite difference in the way Gibsons are made to the way Epiphones are made. Mass produced and handmade are probably over used terms, but as broad statements they define the manufacturing differences between the two brands as well as anything else would
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by gregs1020
you need an avatar. you certainly post enough to not look like a noob with no avatar.

plus you're one of a handful of people that i trust when it comes to epiphones or LP's in general.

thanks,

i got called names here on this board for that knowledge.....

on other forums I usually go with this avatar...

Quote by GaryBillington

You shouldn't limit yourself to only that model - as Gibsons are hand made rather than mass produced in a factory they all have their own personality.

Whoa, there. This isn't a Gibson bash, but Gibsons are no more or less "hand made" than any Epiphone. And they're absolutely mass produced in a factory. And both are carved on CNC machines and finished in the same way (except for the paint itself).

If you get a chance, visit the Gibson factory. But you should visit more than one guitar builder, and a great place to do that is in Southern California. Both the Carvin and Taylor plants are close to each other near San Diego, Suhr is just up the freeway on the way to LA in Lake Elsinore (or thereabouts), and that's just south of Corona (Fender). If you want to see something hand made, check out Trussart in silverlake in LA. He doesn't give tours, but you might catch him on a good day and get to see him working. I've been to all but the Suhr works and I've actually been to Qing Dao (epiphone). Gibsons aren't any more hand made than any other guitar. Not in a very long time.
Quote by Frankys
Hello,

I would like to buy a Gibson guitar, a Gibson Les Paul tribute future, but I need an advice from you.
I would like to know if I will "feel" the difference between these 2 guitars.

My absolutely personal opinion...

Wait.

I think that the Gibson LP Tribute Future probably isn't as good a guitar as your current Epiphone. That's not a bash on Gibson -- I own a bunch and love 'em. But honestly, you're not going to get a Gibson that really resembles the Gibsons that gave Gibson their great reputation (Let's call it pre-1970) until you're spending more like $3500 (US Market, US dollars). My last new Gibson purchase was $4K+

Gibson, in recent years, has been putting out a lot of cheaper guitars aimed at newbs and economy buyers, and what they've been leaving OFF of them is what made Gibson a household name in the first place. If you're a student and unemployed, WAIT, and get a serious Gibson when you've comfortably got the bucks to do so.
Quote by dspellman
Whoa, there. This isn't a Gibson bash, but Gibsons are no more or less "hand made" than any Epiphone. And they're absolutely mass produced in a factory. And both are carved on CNC machines and finished in the same way (except for the paint itself).

If you get a chance, visit the Gibson factory. But you should visit more than one guitar builder, and a great place to do that is in Southern California. Both the Carvin and Taylor plants are close to each other near San Diego, Suhr is just up the freeway on the way to LA in Lake Elsinore (or thereabouts), and that's just south of Corona (Fender). If you want to see something hand made, check out Trussart in silverlake in LA. He doesn't give tours, but you might catch him on a good day and get to see him working. I've been to all but the Suhr works and I've actually been to Qing Dao (epiphone). Gibsons aren't any more hand made than any other guitar. Not in a very long time.

You didn't read the whole thread very well did you....
Quote by GaryBillington
A bit of semantics perhaps, but there's a definite difference in the way Gibsons are made to the way Epiphones are made. Mass produced and handmade are probably over used terms, but as broad statements they define the manufacturing differences between the two brands as well as anything else would

Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

No, they would not. You really need to see both factories. A Gibson is no more hand-made in any respect than an Epiphone.
Quote by GaryBillington
You didn't read the whole thread very well did you....

What'd I miss?
Quote by dspellman
What'd I miss?

Erm, the post I quoted that followed up the original statement.

It's also post you quoted telling me I should visit both factories, not exactly practical when I'm in the UK, Gibsons are made in America and Epiphones are (mostly) made in Asia. That is a huge difference that you seem to be ignoring.

Here is a quote about Gibson's Nashville factory where both my guitars were built:
Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete.

Whatever you say about Epiphone's factory in China, you can NOT say that about the guitars that are built there.

Yes, both machines and people are involved in the manufacturing of both. The same can be said about any product that exists.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by dspellman
My absolutely personal opinion...

Wait.

I think that the Gibson LP Tribute Future probably isn't as good a guitar as your current Epiphone. That's not a bash on Gibson -- I own a bunch and love 'em. But honestly, you're not going to get a Gibson that really resembles the Gibsons that gave Gibson their great reputation (Let's call it pre-1970) until you're spending more like $3500 (US Market, US dollars). My last new Gibson purchase was $4K+

Gibson, in recent years, has been putting out a lot of cheaper guitars aimed at newbs and economy buyers, and what they've been leaving OFF of them is what made Gibson a household name in the first place. If you're a student and unemployed, WAIT, and get a serious Gibson when you've comfortably got the bucks to do so.

That's a personal opinion, and thus entirely valid. But in my personal opinion, I couldn't disagree more.

The best Gibson I ever played, at any price point was a '79 "The Paul". It played and sounded better than any other I ever tried. Many times I set out to buy myself a Standard, or even so,etching Custom Shop, but every time I held the guitars I was intensely disappointed in the way they felt, and often the way they sounded, compared to my 'entry level' all walnut, unbound, uncarved second hand £275 (in 1984) guitar.

It certainly didn't have the things that made Gibson a household name, and it lacked a lot of elements that define Gibson and Les Paul's, but it was the best guitar I've ever played, ever, full stop.

I've recently had my hands on a couple of the 2013 70's Tributes, and they are the closest thing I've ever found to this guitar. With my eyes shut, I might even have been convinced I had my old guitar back in my hands.

Two things would have given it away: the switch position (it was near the knobs on the "The Paul"), and the fret ends. On all 2013 Tributes I've had hold of, they need turning off a touch and some attention with 0000 wire wool. But in all, these guitars are the best feeling, to me, that Gibson have produced in 40 years - not that I've played everything they have produced, of course.

I'm in the market for a new guitar right now, and have a budget of something like 3k. I tried the '70s Tribute more in hope than expectation, but I am now seriously torn between buying the guitar I really want because it is a "proper" Les Paul - which I always wanted - or saving more than 2k and buying the best playing guitar - to my hands - the Tribute.

So my point is, just because something costs >3k and is a "proper" Gibson, it doesn't mean you are going to be happier playing it, after the post purchase glow fades, than your Tribute.

Just my 2 penneth.
Quote by GaryBillington
Gibsons are made in America and Epiphones are (mostly) made in Asia. That is a huge difference that you seem to be ignoring.

Here is a quote about Gibson's Nashville factory where both my guitars were built:
Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete.

Whatever you say about Epiphone's factory in China, you can NOT say that about the guitars that are built there.

You certainly can say that about Epiphone's factory in China. You're posting an anonymous quote (probably from Gibson Marketing) to prove something? I've been to both factories. You're saying something about Epiphone's factory in China that you've never seen and have no idea about. I've been there. That's the huge difference.

Guitars are essentially built exactly the same way the world over. There's only so much you can do with the machines (essentially, cut/carve the bodies and the necks). Gibson does that. After that, it's not automated in either plant. Sanding, gluing fretboards to necks, caps to backs, necks to bodies, , attaching binding, fretting, hardware. Gibson winds its pickups on big old machines that wind a bunch of pickups at a time -- there's no little old lady hand-winding one at a time until they feel "just so." You have an overly romanticized view of what building a production guitar really means.

Here's a pretty good look inside the Qing Dao factory: http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/epiphone_GQ-EQ-factory-tour/EQ.html#stock Tell me what you think is less hand-built about an Epiphone compared to a Gibson.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by dspellman
You certainly can say that about Epiphone's factory in China. You're posting an anonymous quote (probably from Gibson Marketing) to prove something? I've been to both factories. You're saying something about Epiphone's factory in China that you've never seen and have no idea about. I've been there. That's the huge difference.

Guitars are essentially built exactly the same way the world over. There's only so much you can do with the machines (essentially, cut/carve the bodies and the necks). Gibson does that. After that, it's not automated in either plant. Sanding, gluing fretboards to necks, caps to backs, necks to bodies, , attaching binding, fretting, hardware. Gibson winds its pickups on big old machines that wind a bunch of pickups at a time -- there's no little old lady hand-winding one at a time until they feel "just so." You have an overly romanticized view of what building a production guitar really means.

Here's a pretty good look inside the Qing Dao factory: http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/epiphone_GQ-EQ-factory-tour/EQ.html#stock Tell me what you think is less hand-built about an Epiphone compared to a Gibson.

As you seem unable to accept that I was using broad generalised terms commonly used to differentiate between the different methods used when making premium & budget guitars, I don't know what I can do to make you accept the truth, so I will say this:

OK, Gibsons and Epiphones are exactly the same. Anyone that has spent money on a quality Gibson has been ripped off because a much cheaper Epiphone would have been just as good. You are right and obviously know everything through your close personal friendships with all the employees at all guitar factories in the world. I have learnt nothing in my 25 years of playing guitar. All the research I did when buying & selling the 50+ guitars I've owned over the years was wasted time as it was all wrong.

I presume that makes you happy?
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jul 20, 2013,
Hey Friends, peace and love, let's calm down hahahahahahaha

Thank you all for the informations you have given me

I guess I'll buy the future tribute goldtop

P.S

If someone else wants to add further infos or advices for me on this post, feel free to do it
Gibsons production line play rough and sound even worse, especially for what they charge. The pickups are atrocious. My Heritage L.P. plays like a dream, and is actually made out of solid wood instead of the chambered crap Gibson uses so they can save money. I would put my Money towards a Heritage any day of the week over a Gibson, especially if they include the SD Seth Lovers.
I had almost forgotten to ask you:
Could you please suggest me some other models of good gibson les paul under 1600 dollars (except for studio or tribute series)? I can consider used guitars too
Last edited by Frankys at Jul 22, 2013,
If you're talking dollars, I assume you're in America? The best thing to do would be to surf ebay to see what you might afford used. I'm not 100% sure about prices over there, but 1600 sounds to me like you could probably afford a used Standard LP.

The only disadvantage is that you probably wouldn't get the opportunity to play the actual guitar you'd be buying, as I said earlier Gibsons all have their own unique personalities so you may prefer one over another supposedly identical guitar for no apparent reason.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by paruwi
thanks,

i got called names here on this board for that knowledge.....

i remember that fake epi thread, i also remember agreeing with you that it was a fake.

TS - The new signature T falls in that price point, at least here in the US. good luck.

gary - i know what you meant, in the custom shop yeah, they are, but not so much in the Gibson USA plant. i would wager they put out a lot more than 200 guitars a day as they did in 1974. i'd bet today it's at least twice that.
Quote by gregs1020
i remember that fake epi thread, i also remember agreeing with you that it was a fake.

TS - The new signature T falls in that price point, at least here in the US. good luck.

gary - i know what you meant, in the custom shop yeah, they are, but not so much in the Gibson USA plant. i would wager they put out a lot more than 200 guitars a day as they did in 1974. i'd bet today it's at least twice that.

At least you knew what I meant though Even though I clearly stated that mass produced & hand made are nothing more than commonly accepted terms that only describe a broad generalisation of what happens and are not necessarily the whole truth (even though they are used a lot round here), that other guy still couldn't accept it
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well I live in Italy but I have written the price in dollars because most of you are american I guess.
I have checked out the price of the future tribute on the gibson website and it was 1600 dollars that's why I wrote 1600. I am looking for a guitar under 1000 euros (about 1300 dollars), here the future tribute costs about 800 euros
I'm UK

Presume you've been looking on Thomann? They're basedin Germany, but ship throughout Europe & have a dedicated Italian site. Assuming the link works, here's all the Gibsons they currently have sorted in ascending price order:
http://www.thomann.de/it/search.html?gk=gieglp&bn=Gibson&pr=&kf=on&ls=100&oa=pra&wgfid1=8006&wgfid2=9724&wgfid3=9725&wgfid4=8008&wgfid5=8007&wgfid6=9729&wgfid7=9730&wgfid8=9731
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
http://www.thomann.de/it/gibson_lp_signature_t_gt_ch_2_b_stock.htm

nice goldy, or is that out of the ballpark? i didn't dislike the fretboard at all when i played them.

gary - i guess my only hang up was that they (gibson usa guitars) are mass produced and not the hand crafted beauties that come out of the custom shop in more limited numbers is all.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 23, 2013,
I often buy from thomann but I have found the tribute in a local dealer shop for 800 euros.
I have had a look to the t signature but it is out of my budget
Quote by gregs1020
gary - i guess my only hang up was that they (gibson usa guitars) are mass produced and not the hand crafted beauties that come out of the custom shop in more limited numbers is all.

Agreed Never was denying that, it all depends what you consider "mass produced" to mean and what you are comparing. Compare the 100s of guitars Gibson make to the 1,000s (10,000s?) Epiphone make each day, Gibson aren't mass produced. Compare Gibson's output to the Custom Shop and they are

I'm just using the same terms loads of people round here throw out on a daily basis - it's all true to a certain extent. Everyone knows nothing is fully hand made these days, but it doesn't stop us using the phrase - and it doesn't stop Gibson using it in the specs of their guitars. It's just annoying when you get someone who can't accept the generalisation - I'm all up for a good debate, but I can't stand people who try being a smartarse to make themselves feel superior.

Anyway, back on topic...
Quote by Frankys
I often buy from thomann but I have found the tribute in a local dealer shop for 800 euros.
I have had a look to the t signature but it is out of my budget

IMO, it's always better to buy from your local dealer. You can try the guitar to know you're definitely happy with it, any after sale support will be less hassle, and most importantly you're supporting local business. Thomann are good, I've used them occasionally myself, but I'd rather pay a little extra to my local shop than save money by going to a huge faceless company like that if I can.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What other gibson les paul series could I consider on that price range? Possibly a goldtop finish guitar
Page 1 of 2