Ok, so I had wanted to get a Hughes and Kettner 18 head, but after some recent developments, it looks like that won't be happening too soon so I've thought of some alternatives. I can afford the 5 watt version of the head, or I can just go with a Tech 21 Liverpool, which I have been interested in for some time. What do you guys think?

Here are some points that I've come across:

H&K ($399)
-Tube head with DI Out. I have a cab so this makes it very versatile to have. It also justifies my impulsive buy of the cab.
-5 watts. Could be bad or good. I'm mic'ed up almost always so headroom isn't something I worry about TOO much.
- Sadly, no effects loop so I can't make use of the gain/od, but then again, I'm hoping to use it as a cleanish platform so not that important.
-Super lightweight and portable. HUGE plus for me as that's what I'm looking for.
-GLOWS BLUE. That just looks pretty awesome.

Tech 21 Liverpool ($169)
-Analog Pedal to simulate a Vox type tone. Love Voxes, so that's a big plus.
-Can be connected either straight to mixer/PA, or used as an overdrive through my amp. Downside is I'll need to buy a DI box.
-Can be placed directly on my pedalboard, making it more portable than the H&K.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Last edited by EncoreBlade at Jul 18, 2013,
You could buy the Joyo AC Tone for half or less the price of the Tech 21 & start saving up for the H&K 18W for the time being. The character series isn't all that great when used for OD in front of the amp, they were designed to go direct to PA, even with the speaker sim bypass it still doesn't sound right.. Those Liverpools sound great though & are more reliable than their joyo clones hands down but since you are on budget I thought I'd mention it anyway. Whirlwind DI's are cool & not expensive, having one in your arsenal will come handy someday.

No idea about the H&K 5W, but not having a fx loop should not prevent you from using OD/gain with it. It won't have alot of headroom though if your drummer is loud & you want to hear the amp sounding clean behind you.
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Jul 18, 2013,
Well y'know, I've already tried a Joyo American Sound, which would be the Fender clone and although it sounded great, it didn't exactly WOW me. I mean it worked perfectly fine, but it had this dullness to it. That's why I was thinking maybe the actual Tech 21 stuff would be a lot better and because of all the great reviews about the Tech 21 stuff, it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

But then again, I do want to get some use out of the cab I bought, so buying a head would justify that. The H&K has pretty much what I need, the 18 watt more so. Also, I need to buy it by July 19th to take advantage of a 20% off coupon I've got, which is why it's sort of driving me loopy
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Tough choice with the time limit, trying out both would be best. The liverpool is chimey than the blonde pedal, so it might be what you were looking for but then again that amp would kill it in a direct comparison side by side for dynamics.