okay, before I start, let me just say that i've been practicing my tremolo picking and galloping slow and slowly building speed like EVERY living virtuoso says to do. Okay got it. I've been doing this for Months now.....and i've seen no improvement. All i've seen in a 2bpm increase twice over the coarse of this time period.

I've even tried something new recently. I speed my speed building over the coarse of 5 days. what happens? no improvement. and i'm getting SICK of it because thats ALL i've been practicing for 4-6 hours a day. and i'm starting to not want to practice anymore because I've seen no improvement. I still stuck at a pathetic 130-132 bpm playing 16th notes

And the worst part is. I'm in a metal band so all the music we play has all that crap in it. and I have to cheat it, meaning I play 8th notes. and I don't feel like I deserve to be with those guys because of my problem.

does anyone have any more suggestions I can try? I SERIOUSLY ready to fix this problem FINALLY ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

Maybe you should go to Guitar Techniques.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Is it your picking that lacks speed, or is it the fretting hand fingers that can't keep up with the speed of the pick?
Unless your some kind of "natural ability freak" your not going to magically get faster over night. clean accurate speed takes YEARS to develop. Its not how long your practice but how much of an impact that practice is actually making ex. playing shit for 4 hours a day will never result in gold.

now on to relaxed playing.
something iv had issues with for a while and im still working on getting rid of. just relax when you play. dont let it stress you out or focus too much on the matter of speed but still focus on your playing to make sure its clean. I notice when i play and im working on speed, if im too focused on that, that is when my arm will tense up and force it. once that happens its kinda hard to not let it get to you and make it even worse as you try. take a break and give yourself time to "cool off"

hopefully I helped.
You get tense because you are trying to play beyond your abilities AT THE MOMENT. You're tense because your coordination is still in development. Not saying you won't develop speed, you will only if you give it time and play clean and accurate. That's the problem with trying to super fast songs when you don't have the ability at the moment, it's not always fun. Just relax and focus on learning slowly and being patient. Before you know it, you will play stuff you never dreamed you could. Slow and steady wins the speed race.
Quote by mdc
Is it your picking that lacks speed, or is it the fretting hand fingers that can't keep up with the speed of the pick?

Picking hand
I'm just running a checklist. You probably do all this;

Heavy pick (doesn't flex).
Make sure only 2-3mm is poking out from your thumb and and forefinger.
Pick from the wrist not the forearm.

You can try sarod picking which is something Pebber Brown does although I'm not really a fan of the guy.

Practice string crossing exercises. These are a good workout for the picking hand even at slow tempos. Look up some stuff by Steve Morse or Paul Gilbert.

Also, "months" really isn't that long dude. At all.
I've been working up speed with a 16th note tempo ladder.

Starting at 96bpm, do 16ths on two adjacent strings. Use open strings muted at the nut.

Two 16ths per string, for four beats on each pair, a la:

-----x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----x-x-|
-x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----|

Start on low E and A, then A and D; D and G; etc. When you get to the top, do them downward:

-x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----|
-----x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----x-x-|

If you're chipping notes or getting tension anywhere, slow it down. If you can do 96bpm smoothly without mistakes, then do it again at 100, 104, 108, etc.

When you get to the point where you can't sustain continuous 16ths, do them in bursts. Start with one beat of 16ths and then 3 beats of 8ths:

-----x-x-----x-------x-------x---|
-x-x-----x-------x-------x-------|

If you can do that, alternate one beat of 16ths and one beat 0f 8ths:

-----x-x-----x-------x-x-----x---|
-x-x-----x-------x-x-----x-------|

And then two or three consecutive beats of 16ths:

-----x-x-----x-x-----x-------x---|
-x-x-----x-x-----x-------x-------|

-----x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----x---|
-x-x-----x-x-----x-x-----x-------|

Again, start slow. The first couple of sets should not push your limits. The idea is to ramp up the speed to your limit, and then phase in higher tempos. The real challenge is to maintain relaxation at every tempo. Pay attention to your wrist, elbow, and shoulder. That loose feeling you have the easiest speed is what you want at the fastest. Somewhere in the middle, you'll notice that you can keep the tempo, but your arm is tensing up. That's where your problem zone is.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jul 19, 2013,
Make sure you are strict alternate picking for fast lines.

Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina is a good read in moderate doses. You will slay all the other guitar players with it.

He gives specific exercises for the fundamental challenges of picking, inside/outside string picking, for example, and then the idea is to give you the knowledge to create your own exercises to solve your specific problems.
Quote by McZaxon
okay, before I start, let me just say that i've been practicing my tremolo picking and galloping slow and slowly building speed like EVERY living virtuoso says to do. Okay got it. I've been doing this for Months now.....and i've seen no improvement. All i've seen in a 2bpm increase twice over the coarse of this time period.

I've even tried something new recently. I speed my speed building over the coarse of 5 days. what happens? no improvement. and i'm getting SICK of it because thats ALL i've been practicing for 4-6 hours a day. and i'm starting to not want to practice anymore because I've seen no improvement. I still stuck at a pathetic 130-132 bpm playing 16th notes

And the worst part is. I'm in a metal band so all the music we play has all that crap in it. and I have to cheat it, meaning I play 8th notes. and I don't feel like I deserve to be with those guys because of my problem.

does anyone have any more suggestions I can try? I SERIOUSLY ready to fix this problem FINALLY ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

Take what I say with the humor that it's intended...

You don't know what you are doing, stop. Stop now.

I mean that in the nicest way, but I do mean it

Stop.

First of all, putting in hours is not helping, because you don't understand the learning process.

Let's try something, to illustrate what I mean. I want to take you to the gym where I work out. Let's say you've never been to the gym, and so I go there and yeah, I'm throwing up 225 on a bench press, so I set 225 up on the bars, and I run my set, and then I put you on the bench, and say "your turn".

Now, most likely you are going to push that bar up and find it's not budging.

So I shrug and say, "ok let me remove a weight" and I take off a 45 on each side. Now you are lighter, but you cant move that either. So finally I find your weight, instead of 225, its 65. Now, you say, "okay, how many times do I need to put it up, because I want to be a 225 like you?"

So I smile and say..."Let's do it 4000 times today! Just put that 65 lbs up 4000 times today, and then we'll come back tomorrow, and do the same thing. Let's do it 5 days this week and then you'll be able to put up 225"

What should you say to me? "Sean you're an idiot. That's bad advice. Stop. You don't know what you're doing" And, you'd be right.

Because the first important thing in weights, is proper form, and taking it at your weight that challenges you. You're doing the equivalent of what I suggested above....you're overkilling it because you think that hours and massive reps at near backbreaking weights, are gonna get you there.

The only thing that will get you to 225, is proper form, diet, consistency and time...a lot of it.

The only thing that will get you to your playing goals, is slow it down, play clean, and in control- in other words, exercise with the same mindset as when someone is lifting weights. The bench workout that I put in yesterday, isn't going to show benefit until the NEXT workout. Same with guitar, but a reasonable amount of clean reps and form, at a slow speed will make for better result AND you should be playing with control, and NOT tension.

So now, do those exercises clean, slowly and perfectly in control. When you find that, that's your speed and level. Weightlifters are advised to "check their ego at the door" because it doesn't matter what the next guy is putting up, they may have been at it longer, what matters is your weight, even if its half of that, stay where you need to be and dont injure yourself. I say to you, check your speed at the door. That will come though reasonable, consistent, structured and focused practice. Once a speed becomes so easy, then move it up again to where you are in control of everything and again, no tension.

If you're seriously ready to fix that, I suggest the following:

Any exercise you work on, do no more than 12 reps, for 3 sets, at a slow speed. Perfectly. Then stop for the day on that exercise.

Slow, Control, Clean form. Then, do it several times a week and don't over train it. Forget about speed; get the form correct, and remove strain and tension out of the mix. Understand that brief, but consistent practice will bring the results you are seeking, and it will still take several months, just like it would for you to lift heavier weights at the gym.

Check your progress by testing it every 20 days and then post what your results are. I bet you the change will be a lot more than you've experienced to date.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 19, 2013,
After you've finished your picking, down a protein shake. But don't rely on the protein shake alone, it is merely a supplement. Be sure to eat protein rich foods too. All this will make your fingers bigger and longer.
Quote by mdc
After you've finished your picking, down a protein shake. But don't rely on the protein shake alone, it is merely a supplement. Be sure to eat protein rich foods too. All this will make your fingers bigger and longer.

Im'a kick you!

"And do it within the first 10 minutes...also since your glycogen levels are down take a simple sugar...."

Best,

Sean