Hey I just wanted to ask if a distortion pedal could make enough difference on a bad amp... I have a Chinese Randall 35 Watt amp and don't really like the built in distortion... I play mainly thrash but I also need a bluesy tone because I like to jam some blues sometimes too. My tone right now is horrible in particular on higher notes... I get that "Zzzzzzz" sound with the note sometimes instead of a good sustained sound. But I still don't know if it's the pickups that are bad (well they're stock pickups on an Indonesian Cort guitar so yeah).

Another thing, which pedal would you suggest? (BOSS/EHX/Ibanez/Digitech please, other brands cannot be found here :|)

Thanks
It will make a difference. You'll have a bad distortion sound instead of a bad clean sound.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
A tube preamp helps a lot with a solid state amp. I use a $40 Behringer one with my Powerblock and it sounds pretty good. I don't know what your amp sounds like to begin with so your mileage may vary. My experience has been that any built-in distortion in cheap-o amps has always left a little to be desired.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Quote by GaryBillington
It will make a difference. You'll have a bad distortion sound instead of a bad clean sound.

My Randall actually has a nice clean tone.
Quote by woad_yurt
A tube preamp helps a lot with a solid state amp. I use a $40 Behringer one with my Powerblock and it sounds pretty good. I don't know what your amp sounds like to begin with so your mileage may vary. My experience has been that any built-in distortion in cheap-o amps has always left a little to be desired.

Thanks for the info
Quote by diabolical
Try the Digitech DF-7 in that case. Blackstar HT series has a nice metal pedal if you can get your hands on one.

Right thanks, I'll make sure to check those two out
One of the top rated pedals I've heard of is the Visual Sound jekyll and hyde distortion pedal, kind of pricey though.

Many people knock the Metal Zone, but you can get great thrash distortion with it. The key is working the mids properly. Adding a tube pre-amp like a Art model (about $50 Canadian) can help warm it up.
Budget?
location?
new or used?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bassem.b.bousta
My Randall actually has a nice clean tone.

Then it's not the bad amp you said it is in the OP
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Robbgnarly
Budget?
location?
new or used?

Max $200. I live in Lebanon so used items are hard to find. Plus, receiving shipped items here is not easy, so no online shopping sites for me
Quote by GaryBillington
Then it's not the bad amp you said it is in the OP

Sorry I didn't quite understand... remind me what does OP stand for?
Quote by bassem.b.bousta
Sorry I didn't quite understand... remind me what does OP stand for?

Original Post. You'll also see 'TS' used a lot, that one is Thread Starter.

OP refers to the subject, TS refers to the person.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Joyo Poket Metal!

Simple, good sounding, and as cheap as **** - $35.

Marcmart.com has good prices for joyo ingeneral, you could check out all of their metal distortions - they have 3 if I remember correctly, and the pocket metal is the smallest (and better sounding if you ask me :P).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ Yeah, it can be that too
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Leather Sleeves
One of the top rated pedals I've heard of is the Visual Sound jekyll and hyde distortion pedal, kind of pricey though.

Many people knock the Metal Zone, but you can get great thrash distortion with it. The key is working the mids properly. Adding a tube pre-amp like a Art model (about $50 Canadian) can help warm it up.

The problem is that you should be able to dial in at least a few good sounds, not just 1 sub par tone.

The Metal Zone is very can of bees esque, and is designed to appeal to noob metal guitarists who think scooped tones are cool because they give "brootal chug palm muting" sounds.

Metal Zone is rather shit when compared to actual amazing metal tones.
I can already get a way better metal tone out of amp modeling software than that pedal.

Their Metal Core pedal is honestly a lot better sounding, but there's a lot of better pedals than both of those. BOSS is rather crap with distortion pedals, but have good overdrive pedals imo.

Hardwire Metal Distortion is pretty great from what I've heard.
The original Metal Zone was better from what I remember but I was a kid at the time that came out so my ears weren't as developed as they are now. I was really blown away when I heard Tech 21's Sansamp TRI-OD and Sansamp original when I heard both when they came out. I still own the TRI-OD as it is very versatile and has saved quite a few studio sessions when I worked as an engineer. Same thing with the PSA-1 and the H&K Tubeman II - were/are amazing studio tools as well. The TRI-OD has a switching lag which renders it useless for live work as I had to use Boss Line switcher to bypass it out of the chain as the switching was its weak link.

The TS seems to be most widely used for all genres, not sure why, my guess would be that they were very well supplied in every shop at the time they came out, pretty much as the Boss Metal Zone line and Boss Distortion (DS-1). They were well built and not very expensive at time of release so a lot of people tried them out and they all became classics. Nowadays, there are a lot better pedals but these are recording/gigging staples as the Shure 57 and 58 line of mics and for a reason - you can get them in pretty much any music store and they do their intended jobs well.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 22, 2013,
Quote by bassem.b.bousta
Is the Ibanez Tube Screamer good for all genres?

Define good
Depends on the tone you want really. The TS basically boost the **** out of your signal & pushes certain frequencies. Set in the basic Level 10, Gain 0, Tone 5 settings it really helps tighten up muddiness. I would highly recommend one to anyone playing metal, punk or hard rock. Except for stoner metal etc
Quote by Clay-man
The problem is that you should be able to dial in at least a few good sounds, not just 1 sub par tone.

The Metal Zone is very can of bees esque, and is designed to appeal to noob metal guitarists who think scooped tones are cool because they give "brootal chug palm muting" sounds.

Metal Zone is rather shit when compared to actual amazing metal tones.
I can already get a way better metal tone out of amp modeling software than that pedal.

Their Metal Core pedal is honestly a lot better sounding, but there's a lot of better pedals than both of those. BOSS is rather crap with distortion pedals, but have good overdrive pedals imo.

Hardwire Metal Distortion is pretty great from what I've heard.

And yet the Metal Zone, unless I am severely mistaken, played a big role in creating the "gotherburg" melodic death metal sound. See early In Flames and later At The Gates. Its definetly not everybody's cup of tee but dismissing it completely as just noob metal guitarist bait is bit too much.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by bassem.b.bousta
Is the Ibanez Tube Screamer good for all genres?

If you own a tube amp, I would say it is a really good idea to have a Tubescreamer or similar pedal.

people use them more as a signal boost than a stand alone OD pedal. This works as well in Metal as it does in Country music
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate