Scored off craigslist a 1997 Gibson Les Paul studio double-cut. Saw the posting yesterday, called the dude at break-time, took an hour road-trip after work, and scored this bad-ass guitar. It's got a Graph-tech Resomax wraparound bridge that makes it sustain forever, a tone styler tone pot that I think im really going to enjoy, a 500k volume pot, a really nice 24 fret fingerboard with really nicely dressed frets. The pickups in it are emg select(which honestly dont sound bad), but I got the stock 490/498t pickups with it that I'll probably throw back in. Maybe a set of burstbuckers in the future...who knows.

I only played it about a half-hour at the dudes house before I bought it and only about an hour once I got it home, but I'm stoked. It's my first Gibson, and now I know what all the hype is about! It has a few dings and scars from being played, and im sure I'll add a few of my own but it looks sweet, and plays like butter, so I'm gonna play the hell out of it! Best part is how light and balanced it is...playing standing you could almost forget it was there. He threw in a brand new looking roadrunner hardcase too.

Anyways heres some pics

Last edited by dropb81 at Aug 17, 2013,
HNGD, I have always liked the DC.

My buddy has one of the older DC standards and it is a very nice guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i had the select by EMGs.

HNGD!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Got my straplocks put in for some cheap insurance... Grabbed a screwdriver and tweaked the bridge down about 1/32 on the bass side and made it ideal. Tomorrow I'll be re-stringing with 11-54s, not sure what strings are on it now but they feel too thin. I might just keep these pickups in for a while... tone is pretty good and sustain huge. So far I'm really impressed.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNGD! I love my DC.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
So I decided to go ahead with a string change... While the strings were off I polished the body with some Meguire's swirl-x, and then some dunlop guitar cleaner. It took the fine scratches and pick marks out of it and shined it up really nice. then lemon oiled the fretboard and tightened the tuners. After that I put a set of beefy slinkys 11-54 on it and set it up with nice and low action. Got about 3/32 at the 12th fret with just a slight amount of relief. Thought she played like butter before, but plays noticeably better to me now...just so smooth with so much sustain.... finest guitar I've ever owned by far.

I cant express how happy I am with this guitar. Even with the cheapo pickups in it the tone is unbelievable out of my half-stack. I play mostly thrash metal and pop punk, but I also play some classic rock and alternative covers. I got a guy at my local music shop selling an acoustic 12 string on consignment for me, and once it sells he'll order and put a set of whatever pickups I want in it at a nice discount. So I guess thats my only problem at this point is figuring out what pickups to go with.
Burn all Gibson pickups you have and put some paf types in there.

Those are hot. Are the DCs solid body or chambered?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Burn all Gibson pickups you have and put some paf types in there.

Those are hot. Are the DCs solid body or chambered?

Thanks. They are chambered and very light compared to a regular les paul.
Quote by dropb81
Thanks. They are chambered and very light compared to a regular les paul.

technically it's weight relieved, not chambered. chambering started in 2008, where they hollow out large areas inside the guitar. you have the 7 or 9 "swiss cheese holes" in the mahogany, which is referred to as "weight relief".

the more you know, and all that.
Quote by gregs1020
technically it's weight relieved, not chambered. chambering started in 2008, where they hollow out large areas inside the guitar. you have the 7 or 9 "swiss cheese holes" in the mahogany, which is referred to as "weight relief".

the more you know, and all that.

Actually when i had the cover plate off i could see a large chamber go from behind the bridge up towards the upper-bout...didnt look at all like swiss cheese holes. ill pop the cover off again when i get home and post a pic. Maybe we can figure it out.
hey maybe they did something different on these then. i will get to learn something.
Yea I'd say its safe to say the 97 les paul dc studios are chambered... not weight relieved.

So I'm upnorth on vacation and bored so I figured I'd update this thread. I ordered pickups for it that should have arrived before I left but had to wait an extra week because Duncan had to build my bridge pickup. I ordered a Duncan jazz for the neck and a Duncan distortion for the bridge, both with nickel covers. All I have up here is my acoustic which works, but I'm definitely missing my baby at the moment. Ill update with more pics once I'm home and I get the pickups put in.
Quote by Mephaphil

How much for the foot?

I think you want a different website
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Finally got my pickups, hand wound and matched straight from seymoure duncan.... sh6 bridge sh2 neck... Much better...perfect combo.

nice

i think the chrome covers suit them more than the black, too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?