Hey guys,

So as many of you have probably noticed, I have had the Krank in my sig for sale for a stupid amount of time. Now I have the opportunity for a possible trade with a guy offering this 1974 Ibanez model #2350 Les Paul Custom: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/3932339366.html

(Go ahead and laugh at the pink strings. I know I am.)

Now, I don't really have any interest in keeping this guitar, and would most likely just resell it. The only reason I am really considering it is because selling the Krank has been such a pain in the ass to get rid of that I may have better luck offloading this guitar instead. I have done some research on these guitars and see that they have their own niche community, but I can't really tell how much they are in demand -- if at all. They don't seem to really be rare either.

He wants me to add $150 (he values it at $450), which from what I'm reading sounds maybe fair depending on the condition, but it seems a little high (I would have to check it out in person). If I decide to look at it, I'll offer him $50-$100 instead.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it? Would I have an easier time selling this? Or should I just stick it out with the Krank?

Thanks guys
Last edited by ExDementia at Jul 18, 2013,
No way, that guitar is not worth what he wants. That is one of the cheaper bolt-on models. I would be willing to bet it is not a solid top at all. That guitar is worth $200-$250 at most. The set neck LP clones are the ones that are worth more, but back then there were just as many crap ones as good ones.

I'll swap you a Bugera 333 even-steven
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's hard to get a good estimate on price for these, but yeah, I feel like this one is overpriced. Non original hardware and it doesn't look like it's been taken care of or at least in as good of shape as some I've seen go for ~$450-$500. I do think $200-$250 sounds a bit low, but I could be way off. That's the problem, I know so little about these.

Would a straight across trade be worth it? I would clean it up a bit and get rid of those ridiculous strings. All I really care about is getting my money out of it.

P.S. I would probably trade you if you weren't literally on the other side of the country

In my area, that would bring $250 on a good day, like I said the bolt-on LP's are less desirable. like you said the ones that are nice set-neck are going for $400+

I'd pass unless you realy like it and want to play it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I tend to think any MIJ bolt-on Les Paul knockoff is going to be a $300 guitar at most. I can tell that's just one of those really cheap bolt-on neck styles that you see on all the '80s-90s MIJ copycat brand guitars.

Consider also that it's an older guitar and that could mean it has problems that require fixing, which means you're going to spend even more money. The listing doesn't say anything about the quality of the pickups or electronics if I read it correctly, which may mean they're original. Which in turn almost certainly means they're cheap.

$450 will get you a lot of used guitar on craigslist.
Weird. They seem to be asking for more than that around me:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/3906268408.html -- $600

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/3934929375.html -- $1000

I'll probably pass on this one. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Edit: Oh and to answer your question, the tuners are Schallers and the pickups are Seymour Duncans. I asked the guy.
Quote by ExDementia
Weird. They seem to be asking for more than that around me:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/3906268408.html -- $600

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/3934929375.html -- $1000

I'll probably pass on this one. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Edit: Oh and to answer your question, the tuners are Schallers and the pickups are Seymour Duncans. I asked the guy.

No way, I highly doubt they get that kind of money for either

I have a late 70's LP clone that is a bolt-on. It plays and sounds great, but that is too much for a "cheap" copy.

You cab find used Burny LP's for $600+ and they are really good LP clones
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I like mine. I have a rev 4x12 that sounds really good also.

What do you not like about the rev Jr?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i personally would take the guitar.

yeah i feel like krank owners are like spider owners. the amp is not nearly that bad, not what i mean. but i feel like krank owners grow out of the amps quickly and then when asking to get rid of it people are like .... "uh. meh. its a crank"

good old used rack at guitar center. 3-4 Kranks every time. never fails.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I actually bought the Krank based on it's reputation and on the recommendation from people I know. I originally wanted a good bedroom amp, but it turns out that even after a full re-tube, this amp can't really do apartment volumes. THEN I bring it to band practice to find that it gets way too muddy at drum-competing levels due to the lack of headroom. It looses all clarity after maybe 2:00 on the volume, and I need to reach ~4:00 to be heard over drums with this thing.

So I bought the amp and found out that it is entirely useless to me. It can't do super low volumes, and it can't do band volumes. That is why I'm selling it. At mid volumes, this amp actually sounds pretty damn good, if not a little too compressed.

Edit: here is the original NAD post about it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602367&page=1&pp=20
Have you used the FX loop to dial in the volume? Just wondering because my 1980 sounds pretty good low, but really opens up as you crank the volume. And it easily can play with a band, even the clean stays clean.

But I have no experience with the Rev Jr, however I did own the original Rev and I was not a fan at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I tried keeping the FX loop on all the way, medium, low, and bridged with a 2" 1/4 cable in the loop. It just gets way too muddy. Of course, I should say that we have a jam space with really poor acoustics, but still -- I never turn my 50w Carvin up past 5-6 on the master or channel volume and am heard just fine. The Krank just doesn't have enough headroom.

Then at bedroom levels, it needs to be turned up just past the level that I am comfortable with to really take advantage if it's gain. I have tried all kinds of settings on it and just can't get it to work for me. This is after a full re-tube with high gain JJ's, Mullard reissues and a Tungsol 12AX7.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No way, that guitar is not worth what he wants. That is one of the cheaper bolt-on models. I would be willing to bet it is not a solid top at all. That guitar is worth $200-$250 at most. The set neck LP clones are the ones that are worth more, but back then there were just as many crap ones as good ones.

This is exactly what I came to say. I would not pay a dime over $200 for a bolt on lawsuit LP.

But then again, I wouldn't pay a dime for a bolt on lawsuit in the first place.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X