Hello Everyone, I recently started a company with friends that aims to build a high quality distortion pedal that offers beginner guitarists all the benefits of a big brand pedal without costing them an arm and a leg.

So my question is what would you like from a distortion pedal if you were just starting out playing guitar and weren't ready to invest in expensive equipment just yet?

Thanks
Paul
nothing. just use the amps gain.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by pfwc94
Hello Everyone, I recently started a company with friends that aims to build a high quality distortion pedal that offers beginner guitarists all the benefits of a big brand pedal without costing them an arm and a leg.

So my question is what would you like from a distortion pedal if you were just starting out playing guitar and weren't ready to invest in expensive equipment just yet?

Thanks
Paul

No offense but there's a whole community of pedal builders, both pro and amateur, here. Your question seems to be too vague to imply much experience on your part... I guess what I'm asking is what do you bring to the table? It's not about catering to a market, it's about brining a quality product at a good price.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Most beginners buy Boss DS-1/Digitech Deathmetal. I advise most beginners to get a decent MFX. That way they can learn what they want/will use
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
distortion, a non-shrill sound. noobs don't know much about tone
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
accurate 440 tuning.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
accurate 440 tuning.

amen brother
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i have a hard time giving suggestions based on the fact i am not sure what you say is possible.

and its way too vague to provide suggestions. do you have a price point? certain objectives? i mean are you building a 20 dollar pedal or a 100 dollar pedal?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I think if such a thing could be done, it would be. If you want to do it, be prepared to make very minimal profit margins.

A beginner's ear is usually not great at discerning the minute differences in tone anyway... I think the Hardwire Metal Distortion and the EHX Metal Muff are good enough choices for relatively cheap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It should come with a free Klon. And a coupon for $600 off a bj.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The most effects as possible. Do beginners even buy single effects pedals??
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Klon
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MatrixClaw
The most effects as possible. Do beginners even buy single effects pedals??

I did. Horrifyingly bad pedals! Though I've come back around to my sd-1, which was my first pedal. Unfortunately, my plastic Ibanez Flanger is lost forever.
IMO, the answer to the thread is cheap multifx with a looper, tuner and metronome.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by pfwc94

Thanks
Paul

Do you realize that there are probably over 100 overdrive and distortion pedals out there.. $20 to $300+

In my honest opinion, find something that is unique for modulation or something new.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
wow you started joyo? nice work
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
wow you started joyo? nice work

so true.

pfwc94 - it really looks like you didn't do much research.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
couldn't resist
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Something with 12ax7's. Using them the right way.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
Something with 12ax7's. Using them the right way.

+1. Emphasis on using the right way. Probably not for beginners probably not cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by yousef213
not too buzzy/ trebly. Doesnt suck huge amounts of mids

This. Why is every distortion pedal like this. I'm looking at you, BOSS.