I've got the chance to pick up a Marshall Haze 40 for $200 from a guy I work with. He (for some ungodly reason) bought it new about 5 months ago to play country on, but the loudest he has had it on was 3 and he just hates it and is looking to unload it.

Another fellow guitarist at work took it home and tried it and said he liked it but just has no need for it. He said at least one of the tubes was microphonic, which seems to be a common issue with these.

Honestly, I have no real need for it at all, but at that price, it would be worth it just to play with and have as a backup or at least a more lightweight, small option for travelling. Considering I paid more for a new 30w MG years ago, I figured it would be a good deal.

I basically though I would ask on here to see if the Haze had a good reputation, if the deal is actually as good as I think, and what tubes would be the best choice for this amp. I figured JJ's for power tubes and either JJ's for V1 & V2 or a TungSol in V1 and JJ in V2 and then a JAN Phillips 5751 in the PI.

Thoughts?
i've heard the 40 watt combo can sound good cranked up.

for $200? not bad considering what they sold for new.

make sure everything works.

the effects actually aren't broken, they just suck.

turn them off, pull off the knob.

the upside, it says marshall on it so if you need to sell it that shouldn't be a problem for $200.

probably be a decent back up.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would flip it on Craigslist. $250 is still a fair price if your ears aren't used to a Splawn (and a very foxy Splawn at that) so someone's gonna buy it. Easy $50. Or trade. I've done this a few times, don't frown on me, I'm poor and have chronic gas.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Splawn has nothing to do with it.

I play my Vypyr 60 more than teh Splawn.

Vypyr 60 is like $250 used.

Taking a gamble on flipping a Haze doesn't seem worth it.

He's looking for a back up amp.

Used Class 5? Sure.
Used Classic 30? Sure.
Used Bugera V22? Sure.
Used Epi Valve Sr? Sure.
Used Valvetronix? Sure.
Used Vypyr 60? Sure.
Used Haze? Not so much.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Microphonic tubes have nothing to do with amp.

It can at first if they come from the factory with those shitty Chinese OEM tubes.

JJ's everywhere in that amp.
But it's a crappy amp. JJ's will help but they won't fix it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh, I don't need it for a backup at all. Especially not with the rate I've been gigging (or even playing at home, really). I just figured for that price I could retube it, play with it for a few weeks or months, then if I hate it, at least get out of it what I put in or else trade it off for something else.

It's also worth factoring in that I doubt I'll be using it with the stock speaker beyond just trying it. I'll likely end up running it into my 2x12. I also have no problems with cranking the f*** out of it for good tone.

I just figured if I ignored the deal, I would probably end up regretting it in a month, because that is what ALWAYS happens to me.

If the consensus is it's a shit amp, I'll just pass on it. I certainly don't expect a Silver Jubilee at that price, but I'veowned an MG already and certainly don't want one with tubes, if that's about what this is
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawn has nothing to do with it.

I play my Vypyr 60 more than teh Splawn.

Vypyr 60 is like $250 used.

Taking a gamble on flipping a Haze doesn't seem worth it.

He's looking for a back up amp.

Used Class 5? Sure.
Used Classic 30? Sure.
Used Bugera V22? Sure.
Used Epi Valve Sr? Sure.
Used Valvetronix? Sure.
Used Vypyr 60? Sure.
Used Haze? Not so much.

Oh I agree 100%, but I've met some dudes that brag about their Spider. Lotsa dumb suburban kids and/or junkies around here. I bought a "broken" peavey valveking off some dude for $100 and sold it for $200 before I even retubed it, which was all it needed. I got an sm58 for $20 and sold it for $60 no more than an hour after I picked it up.
I dont think of it as a Marshall Haze, I think of it as $50 towards a PRS.

v yup, I just mean you have a better perspective of what "good tone" is than someone who's never left their bedroom with their vt.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 20, 2013,
^ agreed

Sorry - I thought you were saying that since I play a Splawn my ears are so 'spoiled' that anything less is subpar. I was just saying there some good sounding budget amps out there that are better than the Haze. Peavey Windsor would be another good example of that. I just wouldn't waste my time on the Haze and try to make it better by putting better tubes in it, etc.

But thanks for the foxy comment It is a sexy beast.

Quote by Cathbard
It can at first if they come from the factory with those shitty Chinese OEM tubes.

JJ's everywhere in that amp.
But it's a crappy amp. JJ's will help but they won't fix it.

You know what I mean.

I was just saying it is not the amps fault that tubes go microphonic. It is true that cheaper budget amps use cheap tubes to keep the cost down. I wouldn't put a JJ through the pain of being in a Haze

Yeah I knew what you meant, I was being facetious.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification