Hey all, long time no see!

I've returned here for a little advice. I'm currently a gigging guitarist with a very professional function band. We do a lot of the big gigs and I'm going out with them as entertainment aboard a cruise-liner in August.

At the mo I have a 20th PRS standard 24 going through a DSL401 (with extension cab). Also got a few common pedals (drive, wah, compressor tuner etc.)

I've hit a problem, only I don't know whether I'm going the right way about it. My PRS has been brilliant up to yet. We play every genre of music, from every decade starting at the 50's. It's range of sounds are outstanding and with my rig I can emulate any tone from the songs in the set.

Problem: I'm a lead guitarist and I feel that a thinner neck and lighter guitar would help my playing greatly. (After owning a few low end Ibanez's before forking out for the 24).

So TLR - I love the sounds of my PRS but I want a more 'Agile' guitar, lighter and a faster neck but with the matching build quality and range of tones that I'm used to. A lot of research has pointed me to a Carvin DC127, but reviews are hard to find.

Open to suggestions too, If i go through with a new guitar I'll be using money from the PRS, so I'm looking at £1,000 ($1,500)

Cheers for reading, I do need help with this one!!

Dave

EDIT: The Carvin I'm interested in buying
Last edited by Davester000 at Jul 18, 2013,
What neck carve is your PRS?

You might want to checkout a EBMM JP6

Carvin make a nice guitar, but the resale is horrible just so you know
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What neck carve is your PRS?

You might want to checkout a EBMM JP6

Carvin make a nice guitar, but the resale is horrible just so you know

It's a regular neck carve.

Don't get me wrong I am able to play it with ease, but I can't help but feel the guitar is a little too 'clunky'. Access to the higher frets are a little difficult too. I don't have big fingers, quite the opposite, so I think a sleeker neck would feel more like home.
Look for a pre 96 PRS CE/Std 24 with the wide thin neck profile. The pre 96 guitars have almost no heal when compared to the post 97 models.

There is always the trusty Fender Strat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're in the U.S, get the Carvin. Otherwise, you will probably bitch-slapped with a fistful of money in shipping costs.

At least, from what I've heard.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Mister A.J.
If you're in the U.S, get the Carvin. Otherwise, you will probably bitch-slapped with a fistful of money in shipping costs.

At least, from what I've heard.

The site I was looking at buying from are UK based /phew. But this means I won't be able to take advantage of the custom options.

It's £1,050. the bad thing is that used they go for nowhere near that price. I'll have to buy new to get that colour too.
firs off, just youtube the DC series. more or less any model is going to be semi similar. try to pick the right pickup configuration.

secondly, are you sure the carvin will physically be lighter overall? i mean, many PRS models are already very light, well balanced guitars and some carvins are pretty much prs clones.

if any consolation i just custom ordered a carvin CT624. but really, if you have a PRS, cant you just get a good tune up on it and rock that? i see no reason why a new guitar with be more "agile" than a really well setup PRS.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Have you thought about having the heal on your PRS shaved down? or the thickness shaved a bit? You can have a good luthier do this fairly easy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh jesus good god man! did you just say shave down a PRS?

yeah so moving on.....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
oh jesus good god man! did you just say shave down a PRS?

yeah so moving on.....

Yeah, I had the heal on mine shaved to pre 96 style

Not a big deal at all, everyones favorite Ed Roman did it 4-5 yrs ago
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ikey_
firs off, just youtube the DC series. more or less any model is going to be semi similar. try to pick the right pickup configuration.

secondly, are you sure the carvin will physically be lighter overall? i mean, many PRS models are already very light, well balanced guitars and some carvins are pretty much prs clones.

if any consolation i just custom ordered a carvin CT624. but really, if you have a PRS, cant you just get a good tune up on it and rock that? i see no reason why a new guitar with be more "agile" than a really well setup PRS.

Well the mahogany body makes it pretty heavy. My last guitar was of the Ibanez S series. it was really great to play but the tonal range wasn't there. I also want a tremolo that isn't a floyd so I'm not going down the Ibanez route again.

This thread is my means of finding out if said Carvin is lighter and easier to play fast lead lines. I'm making assumptions and I'm unable to play one before I buy it, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

And I have a good set-up on the 24. The action really is at the lowest it can go, but I'd like it lower. I read reviews for the PRS that said the action was low, but not too low. So i figure that the 24 is made to avoid a really low action.
Quote by Davester000

This thread is my means of finding out if said Carvin is lighter and easier to play fast lead lines.

Yes it is. I've got half a dozen Carvins (plus a bass). Upper fret access is stellar (as you know, it's a neck-through with an absolutely creamy smooth transition to the body). Necks are very fast to play. Three of my Carvins are the DC body style but with three pickups. One is the DC-135 (HSS) with three miniswitches that are on-off controls for the pickups. Two are DC-145 (HSH) and these are my personal favorite (you may not care for the single coil in the middle of things, but I really don't notice it when playing). Control setup is a Master Volume and Master Tone, a five-way and three miniswitches. Two of them select coil split mode for each pickup. One of them is a Bridge Pickup Add-in, which allows me to add the bridge pickup to the two forward-most selections on the five-way. This gives me the Les Paul Middle Position Both Pickups Selected choice. Overall, a kajillion sound choices.

You can get 10, 12 and 14" radii (your choice). You *may* be able to talk them into giving you the 20" radius as on the Holdsworths -- I dunno. I'm sure it's been done. I personally prefer flatter to rounder, so most of mine are 15" and 16". I LOVE the fact that ebony fretboards are standard and that you can select stainless frets in several sizes. Their fretwork is normally amazing -- at one point they advertised action "as low as 1 1/16th" at the 24th fret with no buzzing frets." And they delivered.

You can get the DC series with a gloss finish (my preference), a satin finish or a tung-oil finish. I do NOT recommend getting a tung-oil finish body unless you're never going to play the damned thing. If you're gigging, stick with the satin or the gloss body. You can actually specify the neck to have a different finish from the body, and a lot of folks will spec a satin or tung-oil finished back of neck with a gloss body. That (to me) makes a lot of sense. My only quibble is that I don't like the line where it transitions from one finish to the other on the back of the neck. Personal twitch of mine.

My DC guitars are mahogany or koa body/neck. One with a maple cap. It's still lighter than most of the PRSi that I've picked up. But you may want to talk to them about getting the lightest possible body if you go with mahogany -- they'll actually go back and start weighing blanks for you. Poplar is lighter, and standard, I think.

My favorite pickups are the holdsworths (H22s) and the C22s. YMMV.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 19, 2013,
Quote by ikey_

The DC series will definitely be lighter overall. These are a much different guitar from the CT (Carved Top) series that are essentially PRS clones.

Here's the DC neck heel:

Here's the CT (PRS-ish) neck heel:

And the PRS:

Brilliant informed responses!

The Carvin looks good and I fully trust that it performs. I will be putting it through its paces if I buy one but I'm sure it will do the job.

I think the PRS was a guitar I was never meant to bond with. A childhood dream guitar that didn't exceed my (wildly high) expectations.

Thanks for the help guys
Yep some guitars do not work with everyone no matter how "great" they are
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate