I have a Vox AC15C1 and a Peavey VK112. I like the sounds these amps produce, well besides the VKs distortion sounds rather bland to me. So I am looking mostly at Wampler's amp in a box style pedals. I want a thick Marshall style distortion with a tight low end chug. I play Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, and some new rock bands as well. I want a pedal that will be able to do this plus go into higher gain for newer metal sounds and dropped tunings. To me, the Plextortion seems really tight and versatile, unfortunately I cannot play one because my local shop doesn't get many Wampler pedals in stock. Basically I am looking at either a Plextortion or a Sovereign because the Triple Wreck is too expensive. I don't want to boost my VK, if I did I would have done it a long time ago, I don't like the sound. Is the Plextortion versatile enough for some new metal styles and drop tunings? Or recommend other pedals for $200 or less.

Thanks
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Check out the AMT M-drive if you want to use the clean channel of the amp.

The AMT Legend series 1 is used in the FX loop return (it is a preamp)

The AMT Legend Series 2 can be used as a dirt box like the M-drive or the Series 1 in the FX loop

These are great pedals and run $125+ new. Look at some youtube videos.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret is another Marshall-in-box that you might want to consider. I own the newest version, which lets you choose between "Super Lead" and "Super Bass" voicings. Bass, Mid, and Treble controls along with gain and level controls. Other drive/fuzz/distortion pedals stack well with it. The sounds it can get are very much recognizable as a Marshall. I got mine for about $150 on ebay.
Yes, he is convincing me because it sounds great in the review. Burgs and Gearmandude are awesome, Andy is great too.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
If you are running the original tubes in the VK, rip them out and replace them with JJ's. You may find that with decent tubes (speaker could use an upgrade too) you may be happy with it with just a simple OD/boost. It will turn it into a different amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 19, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
If you are running the original tubes in the VK, rip them out and replace them with JJ's. You may find that with decent tubes (speaker could use an upgrade too) you may be happy with it with just a simple OD/boost. It will turn it into a different amp.

this did this to my freinds vk its like the time his wife started working out again he cant keep his hans off of it
Or, you might consider a real tube preamp to put in the return of one of your amps loop, like a marshall JMP1 or a ADA MP1, which will make your tone sound just like a real marshall. And, in fact, you will be owning the true preamp section of one, but with multiple vocings, eq, and switchable presets. If one day you'll feel the need to upgrade your rig, you won't need a new amp, just a cab and a power amp. And, who knows, if you look well on ebay and have patience, you might even find one of these for under 200. Maybe to be retubed, but it's not a big deal. The only thing I can't tell you for sure, there's no way to get that marshall sound, or at least something "marshall sounding", without tubes.
I don't know if I'd call a JMP-1 a real tube Marshall preamp. Have you seen the schematic? There's a lot of op-amps and clippers in there. The MP1 is even worse.

http://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jmp1-61-04.pdf
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry guys but my question was just more about the versatility of the Plextortion or which of the Wampler pedals would suit me best because that is what I am going with. I know the plexi sound was really popular in 80's metal and I don't know if it would do modern metal effectively.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
I like the Mad Professor "One" (only type of distortion from a pedal that I truly liked that wasn't a fuzz, tbh). I haven't tried a Wampler Plextortion, though, sorry.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Yeah I know I can't find a Riot though otherwise I would. I don't know where to buy from.
Raconteurs Fan Guy