We're going to Tom Lee Music HK, and I can't decide what should I pick.
My current setup
Guitar - Squier Classic Vibe '60s Stratocaster (3TS)
Amp - Stagg 40 GA R
FX - Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
I started playing guitar on April 4, 2013, I'm an intermediate player. I'm not gigging at the moment. Please don't recommend buying a tube amp, because we can't bring that back in our country, not as a hand carry thing or not in the luggage. I can't even afford to buy that, but I have to buy something and here are my choices.

Choice 1 - Buy new guitar
> Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue / Other Epiphone LPs in the same price range

Choice 2 - Buy new pedals + accessories
> Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
> TC Electronic Flashback Delay
> Pedaltrain-1-HC / Pedaltrain-JR-SC Pedalboard
> Godlyke Powerall Deluxe Kit (for power supply, and advancement for the future)

If you're in my situation, what would you pick?

EDIT: Thanks for the informative answers. Still can't decide which choice to choose, but choice 1 or buy a new guitar choice is leading in my survey.
Last edited by politicalparty at Jul 19, 2013,
That's a rough call.

The guitar is a bit of an upgrade, but those pedals can do you some good as well.

(And I'm a pedal junkie.)

I don't know your amp, but from what you say, it sounds like its a solid-state modeling amp, right?

If so, until you can afford a tube amp of some kind, I'd go with the guitar.

Here's why: while neither option will make a huge difference in the tones you get out of your amp, the new guitar will at least give you a noticeable change in ergonomics and your swagger.

Simply put, tone issues aside, the Epiphone (or any other guitar) will feel different in your hands, and you will feel different inside playing it. That will ALWAYS have an effect on your playing. You FEEL different, you PLAY different.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That's a rough call.

The guitar is a bit of an upgrade, but those pedals can do you some good as well.

(And I'm a pedal junkie.)

I don't know your amp, but from what you say, it sounds like its a solid-state modeling amp, right?

If so, until you can afford a tube amp of some kind, I'd go with the guitar.

Here's why: while neither option will make a huge difference in the tones you get out of your amp, the new guitar will at least give you a noticeable change in ergonomics and your swagger.

Simply put, tone issues aside, the Epiphone (or any other guitar) will feel different in your hands, and you will feel different inside playing it. That will ALWAYS have an effect on your playing. You FEEL different, you PLAY different.

That's a good point, and ideally he should save up for a good amp. But then again, he has to buy something, so I'd recommend the pedal, the idea behind it being a variation/addition to the tone. Plus, it's more economically viable, in my opinion.
You started in April, I would consider you a beginner for the next yr or 2 (no offence, keep up the work and learning)

You would be better served by a new amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, buy a new guitar, and when the time comes a good solid state amp, not a modeling amp or any of that crap. I find pedals are way too intriguing to most beginners and they can completely sack not only your playing but your creativity if you aren't ready to own them. That's what happened to me, and a whole bunch of other guys I know. A nice guitar and a nice amp are all you need. I don't think you're ready for a tube yet, but when you are, only get a 50watt. We've all seen the guys with tube stacks and they have to turn up to unbearable volumes to get the tone they want, and those people can eat a dick
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
Quote by Robbgnarly
You started in April, I would consider you a beginner for the next yr or 2 (no offence, keep up the work and learning)

You would be better served by a new amp.

Thanks for the tip. Anyway, I can't afford a good tube amp with my budget, but I'm planning to buy a good tube amp here in my country in the near future, when I have enough money. But, as I've said, I have to buy something. Would you mind if I ask you what would you choose if you're in my situation?
Out of your choices a new guitar would be your best option. At this point in your development as a guitarist that will have more of an impact on your current and future playing than a new pedal or even a new amp.

You're just a few months in to playing guitar. Your playing is very likely not proficient enough to necessitate a new amp. You're going to get bombarded with "well you need to upgrade your amp" comments (which you've specifically said isn't an option, anyway) and I would strongly disagree with those opinions. Find a guitar that is set up nicely, plays well, stays in tune, and most importantly makes you excited to play and practice.

At your current stage as a guitarist you need to be focused on what your hands are doing and the actual art of playing the guitar. If you can't properly execute the proper techniques needed to play the guitar then amps and pedals are worthless.

Learn your way around the instrument, then worry about upgrading your amp and building a pedalboard that suits your needs.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
Out of your choices a new guitar would be your best option. At this point in your development as a guitarist that will have more of an impact on your current and future playing than a new pedal or even a new amp.

You're just a few months in to playing guitar. Your playing is very likely not proficient enough to necessitate a new amp. You're going to get bombarded with "well you need to upgrade your amp" comments (which you've specifically said isn't an option, anyway) and I would strongly disagree with those opinions. Find a guitar that is set up nicely, plays well, stays in tune, and most importantly makes you excited to play and practice.

At your current stage as a guitarist you need to be focused on what your hands are doing and the actual art of playing the guitar. If you can't properly execute the proper techniques needed to play the guitar then amps and pedals are worthless.

Learn your way around the instrument, then worry about upgrading your amp and building a pedalboard that suits your needs.

Thanks for this wonderful advice. I think, this is what I need as of now.
Just curious, why do you have to buy something?

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ozzyismetal
Just curious, why do you have to buy something?

Uhm, we're going to HK for a family trip, for 3 days only. Aside from musical instruments or gear, I don't have anything to buy there, and I don't want to waste the opportunity to buy less-priced items at HK. Here in our country, a $1,000 guitar would be $1,100 or $1,200. The price simply increases because of tax, I think. Aside from these reasons, I also don't know if we're going to visit HK or other countries again, so that's why I have to buy something. Also, I started to save money for that moment.

EDIT: Another reason is, I can use the new equipment for the future, and there's no sureness of buying a new gear in the future - financial problems could occur.
Last edited by politicalparty at Jul 19, 2013,
yup frankly you are beginner guitar player and I think you should just get the amp is far more important than pedals.
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
Behringer GX212 (now works as head)
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
...and, as stated, he can't buy an amp due to logistical issues.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
...and, as stated, he can't buy an amp due to logistical issues.

It's irrelevant, maaaaaan. What he needs is a new amp.

Jesus.
I agree he needs a new amp, and even said so in my first post. But he's intent on buying something on a special trip, and amps aren't on the option list this time around.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 20, 2013,