Hey all! This is my first post here and I'm only posting because I'm slightly stressed about this. So next month I head off to college and will probably be needing a new amp. My current amp is a Peavey Classic 50 (4x10) and I like the tone but it's way too big for a dorm. The real problem comes in the fact that I want to be gigging. So I need an amp that I could keep in a dorm (could even play with headphones in my room) but has enough power to play with a band. So I really need suggestions. My best thought right now is a Vox AC15 of some sort.
Tube amps with headphone outputs are very few and far between.

Look into the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's loud enough to gig with, and quiet enough for dorm practice, as well as having a headphone out. It has Classic 50 models on it too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
blues junior is a solid choice if that accomodates the music you play.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
HD500 and a powered foldback wedge. Keep the wedge stashed somewhere it can be dragged out for gigs/jams and use headphones into the HD500 the rest of the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Line 6 Pod HD(whatever you can afford).

Edit: Yeah, what Cath said. Didn't see that when I posted.
You might even be able to get away without the foldback, though. I you only needed to be playing out loud at gigs then you could just plug into the PA from the pod.
[404]Signature not found
Last edited by jmaguire at Jul 19, 2013,
I think the POD setup would be your best bet as well. Actually been looking into that for myself.

Saw this powered wedge on the Musician's Friend DotD. Normally $180 but marked down to $100 today. 12 in driver and 100W. Might be something to look into. Maybe Cath or someone can give some opinions on whether it's a worthwhile investment.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?icid=111130_001_hpsh3_pd&tandt_rdir=1&aR=true
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
I've never tried the Kustom wedges, sorry. But that's the minimum sized wedge I'd go for in both speaker and amp size. Small powered wedges (and that means anything under 100W/12") tend to be pretty shitty for this application.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification