Years ago I bought an electric guitar which came with some built in special effects, like distortion. It had 3 or 4 knobs by the pickup select lever that controlled the special effects, and the effects were powered by a 9 volt battery that was inserted into a covered slot in the back. other than that it was a regular guitar with a normal amp jack. It was a pretty cheap guitar, I think I paid $75 for it at a pawnshop, but it was styled like a Gibson with the sunburst paint pattern, and clear light yellow knobs. It could have possibly been an epiphone, but I think it was probably a no name guitar. I haven't been able to find any info on this guitar - does anyone have any info on these guitars, or even heard of them?
Initially I thought you may have been talking about the Kay effector, but it doesn't really match your description. There's a strong possibility that it was a DIY job, somebody could have just taken a cheap LP copy and wired up the effects. Probably going to be tough to find any info on it unless you have some pics of it.
Fernandez made one that I know of, not a LP shape though.
Quote by tracyballard
Years ago I bought an electric guitar which came with some built in special effects, like distortion. It had 3 or 4 knobs by the pickup select lever that controlled the special effects, and the effects were powered by a 9 volt battery that was inserted into a covered slot in the back. other than that it was a regular guitar with a normal amp jack. It was a pretty cheap guitar, I think I paid $75 for it at a pawnshop, but it was styled like a Gibson with the sunburst paint pattern, and clear light yellow knobs. It could have possibly been an epiphone, but I think it was probably a no name guitar. I haven't been able to find any info on this guitar - does anyone have any info on these guitars, or even heard of them?

Epiphone never made such a guitar.......
Your guitar was almost certainly an Electra MPC (Modular Powered Circuits) model. Built by a number of Japanese factories in the 1970s, the later versions were made by Matsumoto and were of remarkably good quality for the day. The Electra MPC guitars were most often seen in Les Paul shapes (cherry and tobacco sunburst were the most popular finishes). The Electra MPC guitars had a compartment in the back of the guitar's body that allowed the user to insert a selection of 12 modules (I believe as many as two at one time) that gave the guitar onboard effects that were usually found in pedals. These modules included phase shifter, overdrive, fuzz, envelope filters, flanger, and some proprietary "sounds" such as "Frog Sound" and "Tank Tone."

The early Electra MPC guitars were reasonably well made, and as I said, the later Matsumoto-made guitars were quite good. Electra MPC guitars had a limited following during the mid to late 1970s Arena Rock period. Leslie West used one, as did Allen Collins of Skynyrd, Jeff Lynne of ELO, and Rick Derringer (who had a signature model, if I am not mistaken).

US$75.00 for a used Electra MPC in good shape sounds like a bargain. Some of the nicer ones have turned up for sale recently with asking prices in the $800.00 to $900.00 range. I don't know how much luck you would have finding any of the modules in working order, but I imagine that they are out there, somewhere.

This site has a lot of information on the Electra MPC guitars:

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/

I hope this is of some help.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jul 19, 2013,