What would you recommend for me if I want to play death metal at rehearsals and gigs and pretty much only requirements are high volume, okay distortion and reliability?
Fill this out:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.
Crate Powerblock!

Less than $200 for 150 watts. It'll do death metal for sure. It's got hardly any features, just gain, bass, mid, treble and level (master volume) controls but I'm assuming you use some pedals, right? Anyway, with a decent 2x12, it'll rattle any place, easy. I have one and my neighbors will vouch for the rattling.

It's tiny, too, just a few pounds, so it really doesn't matter where you are because shipping would be really cheap. Find one on eBay.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Jul 19, 2013,
Use a pedal or two; that's just the amp.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Budget: 500 € roughly

Genres: Death metal and black metal

New or used: Doesn't really matter

Home or gig: Rehearsals and gigs, which means volume must be high.

Closest city: Helsinki (Finland)

Current gear: Crappy. Only amplifier I own at the moment is 20 W harley benton. In rehearsals I've been using other people's semi-broken amps. Mostly something like 80 W guitar combos.
He said "cheap & loud" so I went cheap and loud. I figured that he could blow the rest of his budget on whatever pedals he needed to get whatever he wanted out of it. I wouldn't recommend that anyone get it for non-pedal use; I assumed he had some already. I don't normally use any pedals but I do use a tube preamp with this one.

I'm bowing out.

Shouldn't be hard to find a big Marshall Valvestate with that budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Shouldn't be hard to find a big Marshall Valvestate with that budget.

+1

In your budget, you could probably even find an Ampeg VH140. It would be on the high end, but it would definitely get the job done. Randall does the RH series, you can pick up RH200s for $150 US, I figure you could find them for cheap enough across the pond.
They have a great powerful sound, love that amp.

Another amp that comes to mind is the Crate Excalibur. That amp has some serious UMPH behind it, and you can usually find them around the same price as the Randall.

Really there are lots of great options if you aren't super fussed on having a warm tone
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd imagine you could find a used 5150/6505 combo for that budget
Quote by zl1288

Yeah, but for just regular death metal AND black metal (that is key here) I feel like solid state is probably better. I get the feeling the TS is probably more for all out chaos than controlled brutality, but I could be wrong.

Still a good rec, definitely try to check a 5150 or 6505 out.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Definitely try to find a VH140c, though I hear they are much more rare in Europe. One of those would be ideal for what you're trying to play. A used 5150/6505 would also be good, though not exactly ideal.

Here's a quote from another forum that should be a good guideline for you:

Crate VTX200, VTX350, GTX3500H, GX130C, any Excallubur series head. Marshall 8100, 8200, or VS100. And of course, the Randall RH100G2, RH150G3+, RH200G2, RH250G2, RH300G3+, V-Max, Cyclone, or Titan.

All those will nail an old-school death metal tone easily, but the RH150G3+ and RH300G3+ will be a bit more on the modern side. And the V-Max, G3+, and Marshall heads do have a tube in the preamp (the V-Max has a tube gain channel and a solid state gain channel), but they can still easily nail that tone you want.

Oh, and the Cyclone is basically the Randall Warhead Dimebag sig head, just without his name and the onboard FX.. The Cyclone and RH250G2 are probably the hardest to find of the late 90's/early 2000's Randall amps, with the Titan, Vmax, and RH200G2 heads being fairly common. The RH100G2 can be found very easily and cheap.

And with the Crates, the GX130C is basically a carbon copy of the VH140C. The VTX and GTX amps have the same preamp as the Ampeg, just with a more powerful power amp. The Excallibur and GT heads are high gain amps, but I think they're a tweaked version of the VH140C.

As for the Marshalls, you can't mention a Valvestate without mentioning Chuck Schuldiner. And of course the first Meshuggah album. Cannibal Corpse also used them for one album, I think.
From: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/189098-ampeg-vh140c-alternative.html
The Ampeg VH140C or the Crate equivalent (GX130C) would be the first point of call.

Yes, I just recommended a SS amp. Check the skies for the four horsemen.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just recently bought a valvestate 8200 for 200$, just because i was courious - my other gear is triaxis+2:90.

I must say im impressed by the valvestate, it does metal very good and loud without feedback.
People who states these amps are crap, either Can't tweak Them right, or they are valvesnobs.
Or you have no taste.

I recommended a SS amp for the TS's requirements in this thread but Valvestates are a pile of shit and I have a fair bit of experience with them. They're crap.

Edit: You necrobumped this thread to say that? WTF, man? GTFO
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 10, 2013,
^Oh this was necrobumped? WTF man, what a waste of my time. ****ing idiots.

Marshall Valvestate 8100 - Think later Death (as in Symbolic and later).

Ampeg VH140 - Think Early Death, early Carcass, Gorguts, Immolation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index

Ampeg SS150 - Early Suffocation. This one is a bit less pummeling than the VH140, I loved mine for my blackened thrash band.

Crate GX130 is pretty much a VH140, as far as I know. Cannibal Corpse used them on The Bleeding.

I hear that Pig Destroyer used some Crate GT3500 on some stuff, I don't exactly know which. It's a decent extreme metal amp on the cheap, for sure.

The Randall Warhead is freaking awesome, I want one. Think early Decapitated. \m/

You really are better off getting a 6505/JCM2000, but... hey, I like necro as much as the next guy. Sometimes you can't get any more evil than a VH140.

**** THIS THREAD IT'S NECROBUMPED AND SHIT
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 10, 2013,
Quote by zl1288

+1
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by Monsterboss
Just recently bought a valvestate 8200 for 200$, just because i was courious - my other gear is triaxis+2:90.

I must say im impressed by the valvestate, it does metal very good and loud without feedback.
People who states these amps are crap, either Can't tweak Them right, or they are valvesnobs.

my valvestate sucked. it is why i have never bought a marshall since. call me what you want.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
my valvestate sucked. it is why i have never bought a marshall since. call me what you want.

Don't have to call you anything, you already know that's a stoopid reason the eschew all Marshalls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification