Anyone do this or can recommend some artists who do?

I've been doing this a bit the last few days, slow bluesy stuff. It really seems to be an interesting thing. I always end up on some harmony though, unintentionally, but as I get better I hope to be able to harmonize easily. The major/minor scales seem to be easier for me to follow than the pentatonic too.

On a related topic:
I have an opportunity to make some money playing electric alone (to backing tracks) at a beach bar, mostly 40 somethings, but want to do something not lame, so thinking about Gary Moore type stuff, maybe BB, these guy mostly just sing and play lead. I'm mostly a metal lead player and not really into blues but I do like some slow emotional stuff and can sing pretty ok, I need the money but don't want to look too dumb using backing tracks, also any suggestions for songs would be great
I do that a lot. I'm much more of a jazz and fusion guy but when i am learning any new tune i always try to sing the melody, as well as trying to improvise by singing and playing at the same time.

What i usually do as a part of my improv practice is play a chord or a chordprogression, and at the same time sing a short phrase over it. Then i try to copy what i just sung to the guitar.

There are loads of jazz guitarists that does this, whenever you can hear them really sing or just see their lips moving, or they are doing it in their head. It's often used as a tool for a couple of things, one is getting better at getting your ideas from your head to your instrument, without thinking of which key the song is in etc, basically improving your ear so you can improv over anything.

Another way it's used is to improve phrasing. Unlike saxophone players and such, we guitarist don't need to take pauses to breath to play, so people that are new to improvising may just go about playing eight notes forever. Singing what you play (or vise versa) requires you to take pauses, therefor ending phrases. Which will contribute to your phrasing.

As for the harmonization you mentioned, that will get better aswell with time, eartraining and some theoretical study. You can use the singing exercise i mentioned earlier for that aswell. Singing a line, but adding chord beneath that follow the melody your singing. As with the previous exercise this will be hard as hell when you start, but will get better over time.

I'm not sure if this was the kind of response that you were looking for, i hope you found it helpful though.

Cheers
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."