Hi there, I'll be stopping by GuitarCenter later today since I need to finish a recording by tomorrow. I have an AT2020 XLR, a Scarlett 2I4, an electronic keyboard, and my laptop. I'll be recording guitar, vocals, and piano (from the keyboard). I'm not sure if the Scarlett has phantom power or not, but if it doesn't, does anyone have suggestions for which phantom power source I should get?

If it does, what other cables do I need to complete my setup? The interface came with a cable that connects to my Mac, and the mic came with a cable that connects to the interface. What kind of cable would I need to connect my keyboard?

Thank you so much!
Last edited by jkim4007 at Jul 19, 2013,
It has Phantom Power (the 48v button on the back). Just use the regular mic cable, and press that button, and you're in business.

For the keyboard, it depends on what you have.

If it's a midi keyboard, then as long as it has midi ports on the back (as opposed to just USB), a simple midi cable will connect it to the back of the 2i4. You don't need two cables, since you won't be sending data back from the computer into the keyboard, just controlling a vst with the keyboard.

If it's a standard keyboard with no midi connection, you'll just run an instrument cable from the output jack (or headphone jack if there's no regular output) straight into the 2i4. Then I'd recommend getting a midi keyboard and using plugins, because that will sound WAY better.

Hope that helped!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
It has Phantom Power (the 48v button on the back). Just use the regular mic cable, and press that button, and you're in business.

For the keyboard, it depends on what you have.

If it's a midi keyboard, then as long as it has midi ports on the back (as opposed to just USB), a simple midi cable will connect it to the back of the 2i4. You don't need two cables, since you won't be sending data back from the computer into the keyboard, just controlling a vst with the keyboard.

If it's a standard keyboard with no midi connection, you'll just run an instrument cable from the output jack (or headphone jack if there's no regular output) straight into the 2i4. Then I'd recommend getting a midi keyboard and using plugins, because that will sound WAY better.

Hope that helped!

It did, thank you!

I checked, and my keyboard has two MIDI ports (one output and one input), and my interface has two ports as well (one output, one input). To clarify, I'd just need a single output-to-input MIDI cable, right?
Yep! But they're frequently sold in a 'two-headed' version, and it can't hurt to have one of those.

You'll plug the cable into the 'output' of the keyboard and 'input' on the interface.

Enjoy!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
thanks again! I think I'll get the two-headed one just in case I end up needing it in the future.
Hold on a sec - Most keyboards have MIDI connections, but that doesn't mean you should use them, depending on what you want to do. If it's a keyboard that has built in sounds that you intend to use, you don't want a MIDI cable.

MIDI controls software instruments, among other things, it has no sound.

If you intend to use it to control some sort of soft synth, or other MIDI-based program, you're fine, but if you want to record the sounds built into it, you need a 1/4" instrument cable, XLR or whatever audio hookup the keyboard has.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hold on a sec - Most keyboards have MIDI connections, but that doesn't mean you should use them, depending on what you want to do. If it's a keyboard that has built in sounds that you intend to use, you don't want a MIDI cable.

MIDI controls software instruments, among other things, it has no sound.

If you intend to use it to control some sort of soft synth, or other MIDI-based program, you're fine, but if you want to record the sounds built into it, you need a 1/4" instrument cable, XLR or whatever audio hookup the keyboard has.

That makes sense. I'm planning on actually playing piano, and then recording those sounds to my computer through the interface. There's a 6.3mm output jack, would it be better (in terms of sound) to get a 6.3mm to XLR or a 6.3mm to 3.5mm?

thanks!
Quote by jkim4007
That makes sense. I'm planning on actually playing piano, and then recording those sounds to my computer through the interface. There's a 6.3mm output jack, would it be better (in terms of sound) to get a 6.3mm to XLR or a 6.3mm to 3.5mm?

thanks!

If the sounds of the keyboard are good enough that you want to use the keyboard's sounds (rather than triggering a virtual piano with it) then just use a regular 6.3mm to 6.3mm instrument cable from the keyboard's output to one of the inputs of the 2i4 (they're combined XLR/Jack inputs, just stick the cable in the hole in the middle of it).
Quote by chatterbox272
If the sounds of the keyboard are good enough that you want to use the keyboard's sounds (rather than triggering a virtual piano with it)....

This is a huge point to make note of. I've never been a huge fan of most pianos built into a keyboard. I'd look at what you can find on the net before settling with your keyboard sounds (Unless you're dead set, then go for it). If I remember right, one comes with the free Komplete Player and its pretty good for a free piano.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp