Hey all,

I'm lookin' for a guitar magazine that focuses on reviews, new products, DIY stuff(like modding and tube changing) and how to get a certain sound.
I am NOT looking however for a magazine that mainly covers things like guitar techniques, learning solo's or long interviews with superfamous band etc.
It all has to be about the GEAR.
I googled some things but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.

Any suggestions?
Possibly Guitarist magazine.
It's been a long time since i read it but as far as i can remember it focused on gear.
They had a few interviews and a small techniques section at the back but it might be what you're looking for, im not sure if it's available outside of the UK though.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

Guitarist is the best all round guitar magazine imo.
Total Guitar has reviews too (although in general the magazine is aimed at a less mature audience). I changed my subscription to Guitar Techniques and kinda miss that aspect.

There are magazines which are solely about the reviews but I haven't ever bought those. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Vintage Guitar, Guitar Buyer and Guitar & Bass. Can't comment on the quality of any of em.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 19, 2013,
Premier Guitar is like that as well, IIRC.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Guitarist and Guitar Buyer.

I had a subscription to TG, but cancelled it when they started basically covering the same articles time and time again, and their gear section seemed to get smaller. Guitar buyer is pretty good, last time i picked up an issue was about two or three years ago and i still read it every now and again.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I stopped listening to magazines and what they had to say about gear years ago. Especially Guitar World. Their top ten lists especially, companies will pay to have their products on those lists in high positions.

Here's the biggest joke of a list they've made back in 2004 titled "Top 10 Metal Amps":

10.) Peavey Triple XXX
9.) Mesa Dual Rectifier
8.) Marshall MF350
7.) Line 6 HD147
6.) Marshall Valvestate 8100
5.) VHT Pitbull Ultra
4.) Randall Warhead
3.) Bogner Uberschall
2.) Mesa Triple Rec
1.) Marshall JCM800

No mention of the 6505, any Soldano, any ENGL, also putting the Triple XXX at 10,yet the piece-of-shit MF350 at 8 and the Randall Warhead at 4. Seriously?

And I love how the Rectifier is essentially on the list twice, as if there's a major jump between the Dual and Triple. 2 mentions of the Rec but not the Mark.

And how is the Line 6 HD147 or the Valvestate either on a list of top 10 metal amps "of all time"? Endorsement, that's why. That's why I stopped listening to what magazines say.
The valvestate was good enough for Chuck mother****ing Schuldner. I can see why your annoyed there is no soldando or engl not being on the list but the 5150/6505 is a mountain of dogshit.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Dammit, where'd my reply go? Ugh...

Quote by losing battle
The valvestate was good enough for Chuck mother****ing Schuldner. I can see why your annoyed there is no soldando or engl not being on the list but the 5150/6505 is a mountain of dogshit.
Yeah. And he's the only one who could really put it to proper use. Still, it doesn't belong on the "top 10 metal amps of all time" list. At all. And in the same magazine, there's an ad for the Valvestate line several pages back, so it just shows Marshall shoved money up GW's asses to put it there.

Oh, and 6505 is a mountain of dogshit? Lol, 50 bucks says you played or owned only the 112 model with the stock speaker not knowing a damn thing about how to dial it in right. Probably ran the gain at 10 and the mids at zero like every other 13 year old who complains about it. And why don't you go tell the number of bands who have recorded and performed with them for years that it's a "mountain of dogshit."

Personally, I don't even care for the 6505 that much, and prefer the distorted sounds of many other amps over it (particularly my JCA). But regardless, countless bands have utilized it, and it has gone on the recordings of countless albums throughout the years. To say it doesn't belong on the list is complete fucking idiocy.
Guitar magazines are trash, everything in them you can find on the internet for free and in better quality
I played a 120w watt with a Marshall Mesa and Peavey. It's a mountain of dog shit because it sounds thin, boxyand the gain is worse then a boss metal zone. As for dialing it in Ian the fox go ahead give me settings that don't suck, I highly doubt upgrading the tubes makes that much of a difference.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle

I know disagreeing with Ian is the 'in' thing here, and is correct 90+% of the time (and that's being generous to him), but I completely disagree in this case - the 5150/6505 are 'mountains of dogshit'? They've managed to sound amazing on countless metal records, and are used live by loads of big bands who tend to sound good live.

On the other hand, can you find any examples of Chuck's tone that sound desirable in any way? I just tried, and couldn't. Even Dimebag had a better live tone than Chuck, and that says a lot because he pioneered the 'scooped to hell and back' midrange that bedroom guitarists tend to worship until they get some gigging experience and realise it sounds crap in the mix. At least Dime's leads sounded somewhat decent.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by losing battle
I played a 120w watt with a Marshall Mesa and Peavey. It's a mountain of dog shit because it sounds thin, boxyand the gain is worse then a boss metal zone. As for dialing it in Ian the fox go ahead give me settings that don't suck, I highly doubt upgrading the tubes makes that much of a difference.
Balance the EQ, run the pre gain on the lead channel NO HIGHER than 3, presence set high, run through a V30 cab at a decent yet not ear-shattering volume.

If that doesn't sound any good to you I'm just going to have to assume you're a shitty guitar player.

EDIT: Yeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFqtktdG1s

Worse than a Metalzone. I swear I love when the pit talks guitar gear.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
On the other hand, can you find any examples of Chuck's tone that sound desirable in any way? I just tried, and couldn't. Even Dimebag had a better live tone than Chuck, and that says a lot because he pioneered the 'scooped to hell and back' midrange that bedroom guitarists tend to worship until they get some gigging experience and realise it sounds crap in the mix. At least Dime's leads sounded somewhat decent.
It sounded great on the Symbolic album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbp60IX_jFQ

At least, I think it's good. Not practical for much else but it has a unique sound to it.

Sylosis did a cover of that song, there version is so bad it's laughable. It sounds like a bad tribute band.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jul 20, 2013,
No it just proves the peavey is a peice of dog shit, its greatest attribute is that they are cheap and plentiful. Instead of buying a 6505 and doing the "upgrade" just buy a better amp, Marshall, mesa, engl, bogner, randall modular series, baron, laney, carvin, most of the other peaveys...... Its quite a list of far superior amps available at a similar price.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Thanks for the replies, picked up Guitarist magazine today, looks cool, good reviews and some normal person's budget things too (I like that).
To the people that say you can find it all on the internet: In my opinion not true because most of the reviews on internet are youtube videos where the comments are all saying "stop talking and let us hear it!" while I think the talking is valuable and the playing is not.
Since youtube is really bad audio quality and you often do not know the variables like witch cables where used, how is it miced etc...
And besides the crap audio quality many people are listening to it trough their cheap logitech pc speakers (nothing against logitech :p). I am a huge hifi fanatic too and I know what good audio trough a good audio system sounds like and anything below a thousand euro is mostly not that... just saying I am sick of the "Mp-3 generation" how I call it (22 years old myself so I'm not just an old man trying to be a bitch).
But this is going waaaaaaaay off topic :p

Thanks for the replies, will try Guitarist for a couple of months, the boutique amp topic this month was especially interesting!

Thanks guys !
Quote by losing battle
No it just proves the peavey is a peice of dog shit, its greatest attribute is that they are cheap and plentiful. Instead of buying a 6505 and doing the "upgrade" just buy a better amp, Marshall, mesa, engl, bogner, randall modular series, baron, laney, carvin, most of the other peaveys...... Its quite a list of far superior amps available at a similar price.
Your a retard who sucks at guitar and can't dial in tones correctly?

Yeah I think we got that part already.
Quote by losing battle
No it just proves the peavey is a peice of dog shit,

What, because an amp sounds amazing on lots and lots of records, and live recordings, it proves it is a piece of shit? That makes a lot of sense

its greatest attribute is that they are cheap and plentiful.

No, that is a by-product of them being popular and not priced too high.

Instead of buying a 6505 and doing the "upgrade" just buy a better amp, Marshall, mesa, engl, bogner, randall modular series, baron, laney, carvin, most of the other peaveys...... Its quite a list of far superior amps available at a similar price.

Those are all manufacturers, not models of amp - I could name crap Marshalls (pretty much all their solid state, and hybrid, stuff), crap Laneys (same as with Marshall) etc. and the other Peavey's that are so much better are... what, exactly? The XXX? That's one amp, if you think it's better, and the JSX is essentially a modded XXX... other Peaveys in that league?

Essentially, you're clutching at straws and are name-dropping what you think will win you an argument.

Then again, you seem to think that the Marshall Valvestate amps are better than a 5150 or 6505

Edit: Should probably stop arguing with you anyway, it's not the topic TS created.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Guitarist is very gear-centered, and their recorded demos are usually very good.

If you're trying to decide what gear to buy, I'd recommend reading online sources like Premier Guitar and Music Radar, simply because you can fit more content on a website than into a magazine.

One thing about gear reviews that bothers me is that I've never seen a negative one. I understand that "tone" is subjective, and that it's not worth writing about stuff that sucks, but sometimes I get the impression that they're all paid to advertise the gear, rather than give an honest review.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I stopped listening to magazines and what they had to say about gear years ago. Especially Guitar World. Their top ten lists especially, companies will pay to have their products on those lists in high positions.

Here's the biggest joke of a list they've made back in 2004 titled "Top 10 Metal Amps":

10.) Peavey Triple XXX
9.) Mesa Dual Rectifier
8.) Marshall MF350
7.) Line 6 HD147
6.) Marshall Valvestate 8100
5.) VHT Pitbull Ultra
4.) Randall Warhead
3.) Bogner Uberschall
2.) Mesa Triple Rec
1.) Marshall JCM800

No mention of the 6505, any Soldano, any ENGL, also putting the Triple XXX at 10,yet the piece-of-shit MF350 at 8 and the Randall Warhead at 4. Seriously?

And I love how the Rectifier is essentially on the list twice, as if there's a major jump between the Dual and Triple. 2 mentions of the Rec but not the Mark.

And how is the Line 6 HD147 or the Valvestate either on a list of top 10 metal amps "of all time"? Endorsement, that's why. That's why I stopped listening to what magazines say.

Of course one thing i have noticed with guitar world is that they often repeat guitar tabs they have at times. Like a certain DVD that was the best of black sabbath,and a few weeks ago a magazine of guitar world had the tab for sabbath bloody sabbath. I mean