Hey Ultimate Guitar,
I've got a Line 6 DL4 and im trying to record some drum tracks with my mic(SM57). The problem is that the volume of is very very low. I can barely hear the mic output through the amp speakers. Looping my guitar works fine, and the mic works with a regular xlr male to female cord. I'm just using a XLR to 1/4" cable plugged into the input of the DL4.
Am I doing this wrong? Do I need some kind of preamp or something? Or is my mic cable just broken? (I dont have another XLR-1/4" cord so i can't really check).
Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by aoxomoxoa718
Hey Ultimate Guitar,
I've got a Line 6 DL4 and im trying to record some drum tracks with my mic(SM57). The problem is that the volume of is very very low. I can barely hear the mic output through the amp speakers. Looping my guitar works fine, and the mic works with a regular xlr male to female cord. I'm just using a XLR to 1/4" cable plugged into the input of the DL4.
Am I doing this wrong? Do I need some kind of preamp or something? Or is my mic cable just broken? (I dont have another XLR-1/4" cord so i can't really check).
Any help would be appreciated.

micing drums is just not so simple, i use about 4 mics to record my drum tracks and i consider that pretty minimal. using one mic to capture the whole sound of the kit is a daunting task.

if i was going for quality i'd use 3 or 4 mics into a mixer and send a signal out to the looper. that way you can control the sound of the drums better while placing the mic closer to the kit for a louder signal.

you may be better off trying to use some kinda sampler or drum machine instead of live drums, it will sound much cleaner and consistent with less equipment and overhead effort.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae