A lot of the guys I like (for the purpose of this post, Murray and Smith from Maiden) use tube screamers (and their clones; whether it be a TS-808 or 9, Green rhino, etc.) through dirty amps as solo boosts. However, since putting OD pedals through an already dirty amp doesn't boost the volume, I don't quite understand the dynamic/effect (no pun intended) of using just a TS as the boost. Anyone care to explain?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 19, 2013,
You can boost gain with it, and if you put the tone knob past 12 o'clock, it gives you a mid/treble boost. I don't really understand it either, as a boost would work better in the effects loop to boost the volume, instead of in front, where it just boosts gain.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Turning up the output on the pedal achieves (very basically) the same effect as using hotter pickups. The stronger your signal going into the amp, the more gain (clipping, distortion) you're going to get out of it. Overdrives are used by metal guitarists because they cause your tone to be tighter, have more compression and more sustain, ultimately more presence.

They're not used in the loop because the FX loop is placed after the tubes that are responsible for creating the distortion in the amp. If you boost signal past those tubes, you will only get a volume increase, not a distortion increase.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 19, 2013,
^ unless you are running the amp master volume up near full. I use an EQ (an OD will do the same thing) in the loop with my amp close to dimed. When I switch it on it kicks the power amp up to 11 and increases the power amp distortion.
In short; in front of the amp to increase preamp distortion (mostly) and in the loop to increase power amp distortion. Note, for the latter to work you have to be cranking the amp very hard already otherwise you just get a volume increase without more distortion..
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 19, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
^ unless you are running the amp master volume up near full. I use an EQ (an OD will do the same thing) in the loop with my amp close to dimed. When I switch it on it kicks the power amp up to 11 and increases the power amp distortion.
In short; in front of the amp to increase preamp distortion (mostly) and in the loop to increase power amp distortion. Note, for the latter to work you have to be cranking the amp very hard already otherwise you just get a volume increase without more distortion..

Right, but boosting poweramp distortion applies to very few people, I didn't think it was worth mentioning. :p

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
He was talking about Maiden though. Those guys crank their amps pretty damn hard. Lots of power amp distortion with Iron Maiden.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm a big maiden fan and read lots about their gear through the years, also seen some pictures and footage and tried, successfully i think, to replicate their sound. Right now they use midi programmable preamps, with different gain and volume settings, so no tubescreamers or such. But in the early days, before they switched to gallien krueger on somewhere in time, they used marshall jcm800 heads (2204 i think, the 50 watt one), which had no loop. They were cranked (and probably hot rodded, like most metal bands did during those days). This gave them enough gain for rhythm and riffs, but not solos. When goin into the solo, they switched their tubescreamer on, giving them more gain and some mid boost. Of course that doesn't give you more volume (even if you cut better through the mix at that point). Then, probably, somebody at the mixing desk raised the volume, going back to normal when the solo was over. Or used multiple heads set at different volumes (ever seen how many stacks they had on stage, but usually only two heads were switched on?). This was common practice for metal bands that had two guitarists.
Right now it's much easier. You can have a midi preamp as they do now, or put a tubescreamer in the front and a clean boost, or an eq set as a clean boost, in the loop. Some heads have a solo volume boost, like the mesa rectifier. I, for example, have the channels of my marshall dsl head set at different volumes, and switch between those.
Man, use some paragraphs, that was painful.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really don't feel like disputing/discussing what Maiden does as of now (they did not use JCM800's, CoolVortex. They used JMP's in the old days); too much work, and I can't even afford what they do in general.

So here's my ideas: 1) use 2 EQs for boosts in the loop. One for the bridge pup, and one for the neck (as of now, my bridge and neck don't match up well in terms of both tone and output)and I'm gonna have an always on Green Rhino (in front of the amp) for sustain.

2) have an always on EQ (just one) in the loop. I can move my neck pickup closer to the strings so the bridge and neck pickup output match, and only use the Green Rhino with the neck pickup to tighten up the bass, increase the treble, and turn up the gain to account for the loss of sustain.

Any opinions on them?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 19, 2013,
The Green Rhino is a fine tubescreamer thingy. If you dial in your amp well you should only need one EQ in the loop. Run the other EQ out front as a boost to give you a different boost tone to the Rhino.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by darkwolf291
I find the tubes cream better if you tell them you love them and really work to please them.
Your amp needs to know you love it so it can let go of all fear and focus on pleasure.

I was hoping someone would notice the brain fart I had
^^ Lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn, Ace beat me to it
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.