i dont know much at all about building an amp but i was thinking of maybe giving it a shot so a few questions...

1. if i was to have two volumes one wired before mid bass treble and the tubes, and one after everything including the tubes if i cranked the first one and turned down the last one would i still get a natural tube distortion?

2. how would i go about wiring it with these specs...
-treble, bass, and mid controls
-one volume wired before the tubes and one wired after the tubes
-one input jack
-three cab outputs for 4 ohms, 8 ohms and 16 ohms
- standard on/off switch with a light indicating the amp is on

please explain it in a simple way with still giving me a decent amount of info
Please explain how you are going to be successful in this project? I mean your skillset is basically that you can spell amp and yet you think you can build one? Save yourself the time and heartache not to mention the money and buy one. I'm not trying to belittle you but if you are turning to random fools on the internet for the basic info on this project then you stand zero chance of success.
Id you don't know anything about building an amp, don't try, you can kill yourself.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
im obviously not going to go at it alone, i'm gonna get someone who knows how to and do it with them, i was just curious haha im not that stupid
Quote by terrapinturtle
i dont know much at all about building an amp but i was thinking of maybe giving it a shot so a few questions...

1. if i was to have two volumes one wired before mid bass treble and the tubes, and one after everything including the tubes if i cranked the first one and turned down the last one would i still get a natural tube distortion?

You will have to have a very big pot that is capable of handling the power output from the tubes. I would suggest you don't bother with this. You're much better off just putting the master volume in the standard position and/or getting an attenuator.

2. how would i go about wiring it with these specs...
-treble, bass, and mid controls
-one volume wired before the tubes and one wired after the tubes
-one input jack
-three cab outputs for 4 ohms, 8 ohms and 16 ohms
- standard on/off switch with a light indicating the amp is on

please explain it in a simple way with still giving me a decent amount of info

That sounds ok, but there is no way it is that simple. You're really better off just looking at an existing amp schematic on the internet because it is way more complicated than just knobs, jacks and tubes and that's it. Plus you've not even specified the number and type of tubes, the output power, class A or B etc... I really think you need to do a hell of a lot of reading up on how these things work and maybe try attempting some less ambitious projects before you start off on amps. Try guitars first, then effects pedals.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 20, 2013,
ax84.com

There is no "simple way" to tell you how to build an amp. It's not exactly putting legos together. You have to know how read circuit schematics and how different components would influence the signal path.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by eddiehimself
You will have to have a very big pot that is capable of handling the power output from the tubes. I would suggest you don't bother with this. You're much better off just putting the master volume in the standard position and/or getting an attenuator.

That sounds ok, but there is no way it is that simple. You're really better off just looking at an existing amp schematic on the internet because it is way more complicated than just knobs, jacks and tubes and that's it. Plus you've not even specified the number and type of tubes, the output power, class A or B etc... I really think you need to do a hell of a lot of reading up on how these things work and maybe try attempting some less ambitious projects before you start off on amps. Try guitars first, then effects pedals.

thank you, ive done guitars and am pretty good at it, i guess now ill do reserch about pedal wiring and start screwing around with my cheap dan electro chorus pedal

also i have yet to decide about those specs, im obviously very very very far away from making this amp
Last edited by terrapinturtle at Jul 20, 2013,