i have a peavey 6505+ head going through an avatar cabinet. my heads been giving me trouble for years and its about time i get out of it. band is playing more shows and its proving unreliable. it kinda sucks, its a great amp and sounds fantastic but i just need something different.
so i'm starting to do some research!

i've already looked into blackstar, like the ht60 combo and ht 5(though i'm not sure if it will be powerful enough for gigging)
but i cannot think of more amp manufacturers to look to. i feel like maybe independent companies might have sweet gear, but i dont know about them haha. my co guitarist has a mesa single rectifier, i want to look into something not mesa so we can have a more "diverse sound".
as for my budget i would say 1200 usd max, im not going to get the same amout of money i paid for my head in the first place so im also selling a guitar later, but thats another story>

TONE

i play metal mostly, some hardcore, mostly modern proggy stuff
i don't need to be the most diverse thing ever, just a sweet high gain channel that will give me plenty of mids and crunch. kinda like a periphery-esque tone. Clear, defined, and heavy but tight. a sexy clean channel is a bonus though!
combo or head doesnt matter really, i can use a combo as a head and i wouldnt have to lug my cab around everywhere (practice, jamming at other friends houses and whatnot) if i had a combo.
i could really use your input UG!
Getting a Blackstar HT would be a massive downgrade.

What specifically is wrong with the 6505? Have you ever had it taken to a tech? Re-tubed? Serviced?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
yeah, put in fresh tubes like 4 months ago. Problem was/is an unresposive pot it was fixed, played a show, brought it back, now it just works when it wants to. if i move it anywhere chances are i wont be able to put it past 1
Quote by Eppicurt
Getting a Blackstar HT would be a massive downgrade.

What specifically is wrong with the 6505? Have you ever had it taken to a tech? Re-tubed? Serviced?

+1

I wouldn't get a Blackstar HT series with a $1200 budget. If the 6505 is fantastic then just get it fixed or get another one.

Otherwise, I'll make a few recommendations.

ASG Hybris http://www.google.com/#gs_rn=20&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=6&gs_id=1n&xhr=t&q=ASG+hybris&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=ASG+hy&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099,d.eWU&fp=68229fb3b2fe9e5e&biw=1449&bih=726

Splawn Quick Rod/Pro Mod - seem to nail most of what you are looking for. I like mine

Peavey JSX - maybe put EL34s in it

Egnater Vengeance - beast of an amp, not sure if middy enough though

(more stuff)
That sucks man, Peavey are usually super reliable. Maybe you have a dud.

In any case, have a look at the 5150 III. For modern prog, it slays. But it's not as tight as a 6505, if that's a sound you're into. I haven't had experience with them but the JSX and the XXX are pretty well regarded as well. Laney GH50/100L might suit you as well. You're kind of spoilt for choice with that kind of budget.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
I suppose a dud is what i bought unfortunately, thought about getting another one, but idk i could try something new! i have tried the laney at a rehearsal studio as well as an iron heart. they are excellent but i want to keep my options open for right now. i wont be making this purchase for a while.
those ASG amps look pretty cool as well as the splawn ones, but i thank you for giving me good amps to research!
damn not too soon i hope!
the splawns are pretty far out of my budget. but my cabinet is purple, and you can color custumize the heads, it might be worth saving some more for asthetics sake
Look into the Laney Ironheart, Peavery XXX/JSX, Egnater Vengeance or if you can find it used an Armageddon.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
the splawns are pretty far out of my budget. but my cabinet is purple, and you can color custumize the heads, it might be worth saving some more for asthetics sake

This Purple?

Signed by George Lynch, very clean.
Edit. ^ Oh **** yeah. You should really consider that TS

Quote by berysLTD_h-50

You need to look for a used one

like this one...

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/3913472091.html

we weren't suggesting a new one

besides, they have like a 4 month waiting period

you can use the 'Cool Look Up' link in my sig to find stuff
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 20, 2013,
Listen to me, Warhead not x2 just a Randall Warhead
find one, try one, buy one
seriously
to all those opposed, your lives are forfeit
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Marshall JVM would be a good choice

Compared to what else has been suggested, not really.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Badmotorfingers
'Clear, defined, and heavy but tight'

sounds like a Quick Rod to me

FTFY.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Ippon
This Purple?

OH MY GOD THATS TOO PERFECT!
i still need to sell my head and guitar before ill have enough funds to make any offers though
Quote by Ippon

does he have a reputation of not washing?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does he have a reputation of not washing?

I wouldn't know. Wait, aren't you the Dokken and Lynch Mob fanboi? I had Min's CS 336, in that pic, professionally cleaned, just in case.

I hope Tom had his Burny cleaned, too. Greg claims he rubs his nutz on his prized gear.
The Splawn is on a different level than everything else mentioned, well worth the Difference IMO. The 5150 sounded like a toy next to the Quick Rod I tried.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by Ippon
I wouldn't know. Wait, aren't you the Dokken and Lynch Mob fanboi? I had Min's CS 336, in that pic, professionally cleaned, just in case.

I hope Tom had his Burny cleaned, too. Greg claims he rubs his nutz on his prized gear.

yeah i like dokken Never actually got as far as checking out lynch mob
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know you said you didn't want a Mesa but the Mark series crossed my mind. Tonally, they sound different than the Rectifiers, and they sound pretty good for what you're looking for. Could probably find a used Mark IV around that price.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.