Hi guys,
I just joined the forum.

I wanted to ask you if someone can explain the music theory beyond this amazing solo from Megadeth.

The chord progression should be in the E minor natural scale.
Chords are: Em (I) - Gmaj (III) - Cmaj (VI) - Am (IV)

It seems on every chord of the progression the solo use a different scale...

Thanks
Last edited by zavo_esp at Jul 20, 2013,
I learned this solo years ago (late 90s). I vaguely remember it consisting of a bunch of arpeggios in E major with a few non-diatonic notes, and a couple of E minor pentatonic runs.
I have never learnt that solo but I know that Marty Friedman usually plays in the tone of every the given chord so look if it's his approach in that solo.
I found this video on youtube where this guy makes a full explanation of the theory beyond the solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZSLeF99RsQ

First he illustrates the chord progression, that is the one I wrote above; second he shows for the sake of completeness all the modes in the G major key that you can play in that progression.

Then he proceed to give explanation on the solo:
Em-Gmaj-Cmaj --> Marty is playing on an E minor penthatonic scale
Am --> that cool transition sound is a Am6th arpeggio (all the notes are found in G major scale)
Em --> E minor penthatonic fast lick that is connected to a
Gmaj --> G major arpeggio
Cmaj - Am --> E minor penthatonic blues scale

Is very rare to find lessons like that on youtube, usually is all "put your finger on fret nr. 6 of string nr.5" with no explanation at all of what is happening
Quote by pavnick91
try em is not 1 in that key silly boy... bad

Hey man,
yeah you are right , I should have explained better.

E minor is the first degree of the E minor Key, which is the relative minor of G major.
So the 2 scales shares exactly the same notes. When I put the number in the chord progression I took the point of view of the relative minor.

Thanks