Does a pedal exist that produces white noise? I've been able to get some with my big muff or even my bass overdrive, but they sound way too distorted. I don't want much of the guitar's original signal to be heard, just white noise with chords underneath. I've been thinking that some combination of delay/fuzz would work, but I would still have a lot of the note sounds coming out...white noise is supposed to be pretty steady, correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8e4w8Xse8U

That's pretty close to what I'm going for. Oddly enough it has white noise in the title..

I'm not sure if white noise is the correct term, so sorry if I'm wrong.
I can get a looper to make that noise by overdubbing several times. It's something to be avoided IMO. I definatly don't get that band.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Download an mp3 of white noise and run it into your amp.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Put a mic up to a radio set between two stations. There, now you have white noise.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

I don't think that's white noise at all, I think it's just a synth playing high register notes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't think that's white noise at all, I think it's just a synth playing high register notes.

The guy from that band only uses guitars, no synths.

Quote by Gene-Ocide

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out more in depth when I get on a computer.
Does he recreate it live? Without anything external running into the PA?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Play a 6505 with 7th gen Shuguang tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check out the Shin Ei Hurricane Siren. It has 4 modes: wah, volume, surf and tornado. Wah and volume are just your standard wah wah and volume, only reversed (toe up full volume/wah, toe down no signal/bassy wah). The other two modes were white noise generators. Surf would use the pedal to fade in the white noise, and tornado had a set level of white noise, while the pedal adjusted the tone of it.

Here's a video of it. The demoer gets to using it around 2:00, starts getting to the freaky stuff around 4:00 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-0qO87XFE
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Offworld92
Does he recreate it live? Without anything external running into the PA?

I'm pretty sure he recreates it live, the videos I've seen on youtube have been pretty close.. His set-up seems pretty minimalistic from what I've found online. It's just a fuzz pedal, overdrive, digitech PDS8000, midiverb and a quadraverb.

Another example that I just remembered is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRTNXOgKIY

This one is a lot less effect-driven...could part of it be the recording method? I think the guy from astrobrite records into a tascam cassette recorder, and the my bloody valentine song I just posted is from the 80s so I'm guessing it's through some sort of analogue recording thing.

I really liked that Shin Ei demo, I'll have to keep an eye out for one.
Quote by Green_Ghoul
won't I fall?

not that type of ground.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Jul 22, 2013,
A lot of delay can add a background layer of noise.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Run a Big Muff with either a dying 9v battery or a variable power supply in an amp with ****ed tubes and a speaker cone that's torn to shreds.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Maineguitarist
not that type of ground.

*Woosh*
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!