I'm currently looking for a new Amp, I currently have a Line6 SpyderII 120w 2x10 which is way more power than I need and well it's not all that great either. I got it when I started playing again because it was cheap and came with the FBV express.

So far the 2 I've been looking at are the Orange MT20 with 8" cab and the Vox AC4TVH with 12" cab. For some reason I like the idea of a small amp and cab vs a combo but I'm not against a combo necessarily.

Budget? - $250-300 but can probably squeeze a little more if it's really worth it

Genres? - Everything rock basically, I know I will not find an amp that covers it all for me. I'm not a gigging musician just an at home hobbyist. I play everything from Eagles to modern metal.

New or Used? - Makes no difference to me, all my current gear is used, though new would be nice.

Home or Gig? - Home only, if I ever do get back into playing gigs I will get a proper amp.

Closest City? - Columbus Ohio (have Guitar Center, Sam Ash, 2 Music Go Round locations)

Current Gear? - Amp- Line6 SpyderII 120w 2x10 - Guitars- Schecter C-1 Classic with SD JB/'59, Schecter C-1 with Duncan Designed active humbuckers, LTD EC-300 with EMG 81/85

I will also be picking up an effects board of some kind most likely Boss (used one in the past and really liked it) or Line6 for now. I really have no interest in a modeling amp as in the future I may like to go pedals so I'd like just a plain amp.
Look for a used Classic 30.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Have you checked Craigslist? The used/trade market around here (I'm in Cleveland) is pretty healthy.
Check out the Epiphone Valve Jr, they're easily had for cheap and sound decent for practice. It's pretty bare bones though. There are bigger versions but I think they're all combos.
Also, the Vox Lil night train is kinda cool. I wouldn't bother with the 2w version cause the 15w is just a few dollars more. The cab isn't all that great stock.

I've seen lil Yamaha "desktop" amps at the box stores lately, haven't tried one but I've seen people praise them on here.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 20, 2013,
I had the AC4TVH & the matching 112 cab for a long time before getting my current amp, it was an excellent practice amp. Won't do anything too heavy on it's own, but will definitely cover most genres of rock - you'll need pedals for metal though. It takes pedals well.

I used to run it at the 4w setting to keep the awesome clean sounds & use pedals for drive most of the time, but when recording I would often take it down to the 1/4w setting & crank it - even at that setting it can be loud enough to get the neighbours mildly irritated.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah I'm on pretty much all the Ohio major area craiglists when I get bored at work all the time, problem is I don't know what I'm looking for. Guitars are easy, amps on the other hand there are just so many and I know very little about what's good or bad especially in the smaller size like I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far I'll keep an eye out. So far the Classic 30 seems to be a little more than I really want to spend but I'll keep looking.
If only you could score the Marshall JMP-1 1w mini amp in Medina.
I myself generally tend to spend slightly less than $550 per watt, but if you keep saving...
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
yeah I know I could save up more I really just try to keep my self from spending too much. The most I've ever spent on a single piece of gear is probably $400 and have stayed happy, I know my self and if I start spending more then I won't be happy with less!
Last edited by jaymz9350 at Jul 20, 2013,
JCA2112rc. Big sound out of a small amp, tube driven reverb, great rock amp. I like the 4 watt Vox amp, I just feel the Jet City can Cover more ground and would be more practical if you ever wanted to jam with a band. The Peavey Classic has good cleans and a decent OD for rock, but the reverb is pretty bad IMO.
Rock to modern metal for $300?

Here's a Peavey Ultra 112: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-ULTRA-112-108785057-i3033474.gc

And of course, I would be remiss if I did not suggest the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. This one is $350, but it comes with a Sanpera I. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VYPYR-120W-TUBE-W-SANPERA-I-108833789-i3068071.gc

I'm not aware of much else in the budget that will actually sound decent for modern metal/can do modern metal at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 20, 2013,
Thanks for all the help, gotta do some research pricing when I get a chance. Like I said I'm not expecting miricles with my budget just hopefully something a bit smaller and better than what I currently have.

Now how do these tube combos sound at lower volumes? I've only turned up my current amp maybe twice in 6 months so low volume is pretty important
I have unfortunately not had the chance to play an Ultra myself. But depending on how similar the design is to a JSX, it should sound fine at low volumes.

The Vypyr Tube sounds consistently good at all volumes. Whisper to drummer, no problems.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well I found one of the jet city combos close for 225 and from what I've seen so far I like it and my original vox choice best (keep in mind I will not be expecting everything I want out of the amp some will come from an effects board) both I've found locally used at my preferred budget
The Jet City would be a fine choice I'd think. Shove a nice overdrive in front of it, you could even get away with an el cheapo Joyo tubescreamer clone for what you are doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Vox is a fine sounding choice. I am jamming on a combo now. My concerns little headroom, would have difficulties jamming. Take an Ibanez Tubescreamer very well.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Jul 21, 2013,
Well I decided to skip getting an amp for now, ended up grabbing a used Line6 HD 500 which will work fine for my sitting at home playing and wait til I can save up a bit for a better amp that will serve me better.
The HD500 will cover everything you are asking for, so you definitely made a good choice! Nice thing is that you can hook it up 4CM into whatever amp you decide to buy in the future. That way you can use the models on the POD or the preamp of your amp, assuming that it has an FX loop.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
Rock to modern metal for $300?

Here's a Peavey Ultra 112: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-ULTRA-112-108785057-i3033474.gc

And of course, I would be remiss if I did not suggest the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. This one is $350, but it comes with a Sanpera I. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VYPYR-120W-TUBE-W-SANPERA-I-108833789-i3068071.gc

I'm not aware of much else in the budget that will actually sound decent for modern metal/can do modern metal at all.
Damn, I kinda want to pick up that Ultra now...

They do just fine at low levels and are damn good sounding amps from clean to rock to metal.
just wait for a cheaper tube 60. i got mine for $250 with the pedal. so they can be had dirt ****in cheap.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by DarthV
The HD500 will cover everything you are asking for, so you definitely made a good choice! Nice thing is that you can hook it up 4CM into whatever amp you decide to buy in the future. That way you can use the models on the POD or the preamp of your amp, assuming that it has an FX loop.

Loving it so far, only problem I've run into is input latency trying to run it into my PC so I just use the cd/mp3 input on the POD to run music into works alright except for some extra noise.

I haven't had much time to mess with it but the PC interface is a great step up from the experience I had with my BOSS GT-6B I used before when setting up patches.
Didn't think there was a lot of latency while using the POD over USB to your PC. Or are you using the 1/8" mic/line input on your PC?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Didn't think there was a lot of latency while using the POD over USB to your PC. Or are you using the 1/8" mic/line input on your PC?

Tried both and got bad latency either way.
Maybe just pony up for a cheap usb interface?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs