This one's difficult. I wonder how these two players pulled it off-

Cover 1

Cover 2

That's a stretch from the 2nd fret to the 7th. I'm no so keen on taking the easy way out and recording it in layers, and wish to play it like George Lynch. I don't have very large hands, at least not that large, but it seems these blokes don't, either. One of them rests his index finger on the edge of the fret, not between two frets. Maybe that will help out.
If you're using the correct hand positioning (thumb behind the neck, not wrapped around it like a cricket bat) it should be a fairly comfortable stretch, I've just tried it and it felt fairly natural, but I was taught to do a lot of hand stretching exercises, so I would recommend looking for some hand stretching exercises so that you can make this stretch with ease. However, that said, you could always play it as the second fret of the D (or whatever yours is tuned to) string if you want to play it soon.
I always keep my thumb behind the neck, pointed upward, but do I have to tilt the neck upward for a better action? Or rotate it forward? This is a tight task, so I need to have a cleaner stance and action. In a video of that song performed in Philadelphia, Lynch plays with his fretboard/neck pointed diagonally upward. And he too rests his finger on the fret edge instead of fret space.
Last edited by Arjun_M at Jul 20, 2013,
Put the guitar between both of your legs in a classical stance and point the neck up more.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My hands have trouble reaching 2-7 stretches as well, sometimes I would shift my hand up but in a way that makes it possible to still get the right sound.
One of them rests his index finger on the edge of the fret, not between two frets. Maybe that will help out.

And he too rests his finger on the fret edge instead of fret space.

This makes it sound that you don't really understand proper fretting technique?
You *are* supposed to press down right next to the fret...not in the space in between. If you press in the middle area, you'll get a lot of buzzing here and there.

Perhaps look up some videos on correct fretting technique before you attempt to play something that is far beyond what your technique allows you to do?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass