Page 1 of 4
Hello gentlemen....

There's one thing that i've been taking note of late. That alcohol has a wider social acceptance than smoking(cigarrete/weed)...
Many times when I talk to people about smoking, they get pissed off and start saying "its harmful" and all such shit. On the other hand, alcohol is considered something "standard" or "cool".

For instance, I was sitting with two friends of mine(both were girls) and I asked them if they ever tried smoking....they stared at me with troll like faces and said they never wanted to try it. "Smoking is bad, drinking is cool" was their statement.

So, I feel alcohol has much wider social acceptance as compared to smoking..Anyone of you feels the same or had similar experience??? Or is it just in my country(India) where such things happen?
Smoking cigs is stupid. Not much stigma for weed in Canada, we smoke the most per capita in the western world apparently. All is good in moderation, but good luck enjoying tobacco in moderation.
I rarely drink alcohol (don't like it, only have a bit of whiskey now and then) and have never smoked.

Problem with smoking is that it is dirty and has a more immediate negative effect on others.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
To be fair, as a doctor friend of mine once put it, "Cigarettes are amongst the very few legally sold products that are extremely harmful when used as intended."

And he's right. Alcohol isn't nearly as addictive as cigarettes, the liver can easily recover from a night of binge drinking, and even if you drink a beer a day, your body could easily handle it without damage.

The body needs a lot longer to recover from the effects of heavy smoking.

I'm addicted to cigarettes, and I hate ever having started smoking. Fuck smoking.
Quote by CoreysMonster
To be fair, as a doctor friend of mine once put it, "Cigarettes are amongst the very few legally sold products that are extremely harmful when used as intended."

And he's right. Alcohol isn't nearly as addictive as cigarettes, the liver can easily recover from a night of binge drinking, and even if you drink a beer a day, your body could easily handle it without damage.

The body needs a lot longer to recover from the effects of heavy smoking.

I'm addicted to cigarettes, and I hate ever having started smoking. Fuck smoking.

In my experience a lot of German people still smoke. Why is that?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by willT08
Come to England

Or France
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Neo Evil11
In my experience a lot of German people still smoke. Why is that?

Because Germans aren't as obsessed about what other people think of them as other cultures?

I dunno.

Lots of Spaniards smoke as well.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Because Germans aren't as obsessed about what other people think of them as other cultures?

I dunno.

Lots of Spaniards smoke as well.

yeah but I mean the civilized countries. Scandinavia and the Netherlands, there most people or at least the youth don't smoke.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
yeah but I mean the civilized countries. Scandinavia and the Netherlands, there most people or at least the youth don't smoke.

Wat Dutch people smoke a lot, from what I've seen, what are you talking about?

Not sure about Scandinavia, but they definitely have a disproportionate amount of alcoholics instead.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Wat Dutch people smoke a lot, from what I've seen, what are you talking about?

Not sure about Scandinavia, but they definitely have a disproportionate amount of alcoholics instead.

lolwut. Almost no Dutch people smoke. Where do you get that idea from? Some of the lowest rates in the world.

Germany 1,045 cigerates per adult per year
netherlands 801
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jul 20, 2013,
I would say:

1) Alcohol has been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years longer than forms of smoking, so generally more ingrained into our society.

2) Smoking is very addictive. Sure, there are alcoholics too, but I would say it's a lot easier to get addicted to smoking due to the nicotine.

3) My main point is that smoking has a big effect on other people - just by smoking one cigarette you are polluting many cubic metres of air for other people so are causing them health problems. On the other hand, if you drink a pint of beer, the only harm you are doing is to yourself. Now, you may argue that if a person drinks a lot and becomes violent, they might harm many other people; the thing is, it's a lot easier to notice that, and that person can be dealt with - taken home by friends, or locked up for the night in a cell, whereas you can't just do that to smokers.
Quote by Neo Evil11
lolwut. Almost no Dutch people smoke. Where do you get that idea from? Some of the lowest rates in the world.

Germany 1,045 cigerates per adult per year
netherlands 801

I've only really been in Amsterdam and Eindhoven, and I guess my opinion was skewed by the pot shops

I trust you're a lot more familiar with Dutch habits than me, so I'll gladly admit I was wrong and you were right
Quote by CoreysMonster
I've only really been in Amsterdam and Eindhoven, and I guess my opinion was skewed by the pot shops

I trust you're a lot more familiar with Dutch habits than me, so I'll gladly admit I was wrong and you were right

lol, but the potshops are inhabited by Germans and Belgians. Especially in Eindhoven.

I still think it's weird. Germany normally is ahead of other countries with stuff like this.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
lol, but the potshops are inhabited by Germans and Belgians. Especially in Eindhoven.

I still think it's weird. Germany normally is ahead of other countries with stuff like this.

I personally think German smoking laws are great: they accommodate smokers without endangering other people with second hand smoke. There are smoking rooms in some bars and restaurants (that are sealed off and are terrible to be in, but they exist), and bars who allow smoking have signs in front of them that state that people are allowed to smoke freely in there.

They've just recently raised taxes on cigarettes again, and I'm completely okay with that. They leave me alone when I smoke, they charge me money, and I'm free to quit whenever I want. Everybody wins.

Much better than places in the US or UK where you're not allowed to smoke on the streets or even in your own house or apartment.

EDIT: I'm not a heavy smoker, though, I smoke maybe a pack and a half a week.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 20, 2013,
In the Netherlands there are bars with smoking rooms, but personel are not allowed to enter them.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CoreysMonster

Much better than places in the US or UK where you're not allowed to smoke on the streets or even in your own house or apartment.

What on earth are you talking about ?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
The dutch smoke less than most developed nations (17% iirc). marijuana that is.

Ofcourse. We get our drugs from spacecake. **** smoking, go eating.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Ofcourse. We get our drugs from spacecake. **** smoking, go eating.

that's just using weed in general, not smoking. brownies are the way to go though.
Quote by willT08
What on earth are you talking about ?

In many US cities you're not allowed to smoke in public places, and the UK allows landlords to prohibit people from smoking indoors, afaik.

EDIT: I'm not sure on the UK bit, tbh, but I know for a fact in Houston you will get fined for smoking on the sidewalk.

Been there, done that. (luckily my uncle is a cop and told me to put it out right away without fining me)
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster
In many US cities you're not allowed to smoke in public places, and the UK allows landlords to prohibit people from smoking indoors, afaik.

EDIT: I'm not sure on the UK bit, tbh, but I know for a fact in Houston you will get fined for smoking on the sidewalk.

You can put it in a tenancy agreement sure. But even if you smoke with that clause in there, evictions for breach of lease are dealt with at the discretion of the court. Good luck finding a judge who will make you homeless because you smoked

EDIT: ^Post-Babylon. Babylon gives us cigarettes, implants them on the good man and then decry cigarettes
Last edited by willT08 at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by willT08
You can put it in a tenancy agreement sure. But even if you smoke with that clause in there, evictions for breach of lease are dealt with at the discretion of the court. Good luck finding a judge who will make you homeless because you smoked

EDIT: ^Post-Babylon. Babylon gives us cigarettes, implants them on the good man and then decry cigarettes

Shouldn't judges follow the law though>
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Shouldn't judges follow the law though

7% of landlords allow smoking in their properties. About 40% of the population smoke. We'd have an epidemic of homelessness if the judges did, which makes me think they don't when it comes to this.
Quote by willT08

I wonder what you think of people who are, you know, actually wealthy...
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
I wonder what you think of people who are, you know, actually wealthy...

You mean the kind of people that would have a pool in their garden and stuff?
Quote by willT08

We don't have "gardens" because we actually have space. Pools are not expensive.
Quote by willT08

Weird, I'll have to go tell my parents. Oh wait, they're too busy arguing about how to pay for my sister's medication. But yea, I'm sure telling them they can't worry cuz they had a pool installed 25 ****ing years ago when they had no children will really calm them down

god, **** off
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Weird, I'll have to go tell my parents. Oh wait, they're too busy arguing about how to pay for my sister's medication. But yea, I'm sure telling them they can't worry cuz they had a pool installed 25 ****ing years ago when they had no children will really calm them down

god, **** off

in the civilized world you can die for free
Cigarettes are more obnoxious. If you drink then odds are you won't go home with clothes stinking of alcohol to a house that stinks of alcohol. Same can't be said for cigarettes.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
yes, many people in england also despise smoking and don't see the point in it. even those that smoke may share this view.

like many other things, i do not think smoking should be taken issue with as long as it's not pushed onto other people or rationalized in any way.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
drinking is cool? what kind of ******s say that?

In Belgium, it's recently forbidden to smoke in bars and restaurants.
And people smoke alot here, at the trainstations and busstops it's usually full of cigarettes on the floor.

It would be better if it was forbidden to smoke in public and let the bar/restaurant owners decide if the people can smoke indoors.
Last edited by toine at Jul 20, 2013,
Cigarettes do harm to those around the smoker. Drinking doesn't. That's why its not as socially accepted.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Thrashtastic15
All is good in moderation, but good luck enjoying tobacco in moderation.

This, pretty much. Unless you're a hardcore alcoholic you probably won't get physically addicted to it. For that you need to drink a **** ton every day for a long time to get that physical dependency. You need like what, 5 smokes or something to get physically addicted? Not to mention they don't put cyanide and all that other shit in any kind of alcohol. As far as weed goes, it's is the safest drug there is.

But, again, I refer you to trash's quote.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Cigarettes do harm to those around the smoker. Drinking doesn't. That's why its not as socially accepted.

it's not that simple. what about functioning ket users, or coke users, or heroin users?
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Uhh... I'm pretty sure drunk people have done much more harm to people than smokers ever have.
Quote by AcousticMetal99
Smoking is very addictive. Sure, there are alcoholics too, but I would say it's a lot easier to get addicted to smoking due to the nicotine.

It's not just nicotine. People think that nicotine is what hooks you (and it does). However, some of the carcinogens that get added (tobacco doesn't have that many carcinogens naturally) to cigarettes are just as addictive, if not more so, than nicotine.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Uhh... I'm pretty sure drunk people have done much more harm to people than smokers ever have.

Drinking itself doesn't do direct harm to those around the drinker. Smoking does.

You can't get rid of people being violent, drinking or not, but you can get rid of cigarettes.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Page 1 of 4