Hello all.

As many of my posts have to deal with this (including this one) I should mention that I am a recently converted solid state guy. I am now playing through a Bugera 333xl head. (Yes, I know.)

I have a lot of gear hanging around that I do not use anymore.

Among this gear I have a couple of distortion pedals. One being an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost, and the other being an MXR Fullbore Metal.

Can these pedals be used as a boost similar to the bad monkey, tube screamer etc?

What exactly makes the tube screamer do what it does, that these pedals probably won't be good at doing? (I assume the answer is "No, kid. You can't use those. Just buy a tube screamer. :-/)

I know there are many more overdrives out there, so what is your favorite to use as a boost?
Last edited by psrj32 at Jul 20, 2013,
Are you asking how pedals, that you already own work?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm curious as to why you converted to solid state. Get ready for people telling you that your not very intelligent for preferring solid state. I actually at times wish I had the Boss MG-80 that someone lent me before I for my amp. I think it would sound great through an extension cab.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I apologize to both of you, you have misunderstodd.

lucky1978 - No I am not asking how the pedals work. I am asking if they can be used in the same manner as a tube screamer.. rather than a tube screamer on a TUBE AMP.

Shadowofavenwo - I recently converted from solid state. I can see where my above phrase is misleading.
Just get a tube screamer (or a copy like a GFS Greenie or a Digitech Bad Monkey).
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

The pedals you have are for distortion, basicly they're higher gain than a tubescreamer(od). If you just want od, I'd recommend using the amp. I've never tried one but from what I've heard, Bugera's don't sound bad, they just have a horrible reputation and the jokes about them are pretty funny.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
OK, I'll take a minute and answer the question,

Overdrives and boosts boost the line level signal going into the amp. That simple. The Tubescreamer (and all of its variants like the Bad Monkey) also use solid state transistor based op-amps (yes....solid state), to introduce some clipping to the signal to mimic what a tube amp does when pushed. That is controlled with the Gain knob and you have control over that. If you dial the Gain all the way down then you are doing what we call 'clean boosting'.

Also, the tubescreamer design then takes this output signal and mixes it back in with the input signal before it is passed onto the amp. They also add a bit of 'mid hump' in the middle frequencies. This is why they are great for solos etc - the middle frequencies are where the guitar resides so it gets you heard better over the rest of the band.

Most people that I know, including myself, use these boosts to strictly boost the signal and not add clipping. On a tubescreamer you have a Level control and a Gain control and some EQ control. The Level is set to '10' and the Gain is set to '0'.

Get it?

Now with distortion pedals, like yours, the goal is to add Gain and Clipping right out of the gate so there is no subtle mid hump boost. It is full on distortion. I do not have direct experience with these pedals but I do have a Big Muff fuzz. So I don't know if you can dial these pedals down to no clipping and boost only. Disti pedals like these are pointless on high gain amps. For a SS amp or most Fender amps for example that are pretty clean they are sometimes the only way to get the crunch and brootalz one may be looking for.

I think a Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey would make your 333x frickin rip and let the amps natural distortion shine through. These Overdrives are also pedals you keep for life.

Hope that helps,

I like the Bad Monkey because it is a bit 'cleaner' than a Tubescreamer. Also try an EQ pedal in your effects loop. One with a line level boost. I think you'll be shocked at how well that works to tweak your tone.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 20, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Overdrives and boosts boost the line level signal going into the amp. That simple. The Tubescreamer (and all of its variants like the Bad Monkey) also use solid state transistor based op-amps (yes....solid state), to introduce some clipping to the signal to mimic what a tube amp does when pushed. That is controlled with the Gain knob and you have control over that. If you dial the Gain all the way down then you are doing what we call 'clean boosting'.

Also, the tubescreamer design then takes this output signal and mixes it back in with the input signal before it is passed onto the amp. They also add a bit of 'mid hump' in the middle frequencies. This is why they are great for solos etc - the middle frequencies are where the guitar resides so it gets you heard better over the rest of the band.

Most people that I know, including myself, use these boosts to strictly boost the signal and not add clipping. On a tubescreamer you have a Level control and a Gain control and some EQ control. The Level is set to '10' and the Gain is set to '0'.

Get it?

Now with distortion pedals, like yours, the goal is to add Gain and Clipping right out of the gate so there is no subtle mid hump boost. It is full on distortion. I do not have direct experience with these pedals but I do have a Big Muff fuzz. So I don't know if you can dial these pedals down to no clipping and boost only. Disti pedals like these are pointless on high gain amps. For a SS amp or most Fender amps for example that are pretty clean they are sometimes the only way to get the crunch and brootalz one may be looking for.

I think a Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey would make your 333x frickin rip and let the amps natural distortion shine through. These Overdrives are also pedals you keep for life.

Hope that helps,

+1
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Since they're both "metal" pedals I assume that you're looking for a "metal" sound. In which case this
Quote by Grawgos
Try it out. Put the gain at 0, crank the level and see if you like the sound you get.
is about the best thing you can do. "Dirty" boosting rather than "clean" boosting.
Quote by Maineguitarist
Just get a tube screamer (or a copy like a GFS Greenie or a Digitech Bad Monkey).

+1
TS,

I understand that you are a recent convert. I am asking why.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
You can do it.

Most people don't do it because the results are not what people usually look for in tone.

To give you an idea, the few who do usually play black metal or lo-fi death metal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Get it?

Hope that helps,

I like the Bad Monkey because it is a bit 'cleaner' than a Tubescreamer. Also try an EQ pedal in your effects loop. One with a line level boost. I think you'll be shocked at how well that works to tweak your tone.

Thank you. This is almost exactly what I was looking for. Although I already understodd the basic concepts of how these work, you taght me a little something.

I was mainly converned that a "high gain" pedal may damage the tubes in some way. :-/

Now that I tried the Metal Muff as a boost, I realize it doesn't work well for this. With the gain down, level cranked, it almost seems to cut my sound and give it horrible tone.

I am going to pick up a bad monkey, because it is so cheap. Glad to finally read about someone who likes it over the Tube Screamer.

Quote by Shadowofravenwo
TS,

I understand that you are a recent convert. I am asking why.

I have, in the past, always been a solid state lover due to the reliability, portability, and ease of use. Sure, I plucked around on some mesa's etc in the music store, but figured I'd never have that kind of money to spend.

Recently, I started playing in a band again, and realized that the tone I was looking for was extraordinarily hard to puch out of a solid state. I did a lot of number crunching, and research on several different amps. The Bugera was my amp of choice and has the perfect tone capabilities. I hope it holds up!

Quote by Offworld92
You can do it.

Most people don't do it because the results are not what people usually look for in tone.

To give you an idea, the few who do usually play black metal or lo-fi death metal.

Yup, figured that out pretty darn quick. I can't get a 'clean' boost out of it. Only baby eating, bone crushing, satan summoning distorted boosts.
Quote by psrj32

I am going to pick up a bad monkey, because it is so cheap. Glad to finally read about someone who likes it over the Tube Screamer.

You'll find most people here don't care much for the Tubescreamer. It's way overpriced for what you get. I hate to say this, but I think it's a case of paying for a name.

The Way Huge Green Rhino, Digitech Bad Monkey, Hardwire CM-2, MXR Custom Badass OD and others are all evolutions of the TS with more features and more control. Even the MXR GT-OD is great if you just want the traditional 3 knobs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yes you can do a similar thing as with an od pedal- as grawgos said, crank the level, drop the gain/distortion and see what it sounds like (only do that if the amp is already distorted or you'll kill your ears).

will you like it as well as a tubescreamer or similar? probably not, it'll probably have too much distortion even with the gain set to 0 (whereas an od pedal will be almost totally clean with the gain set to 0).

you could also try just stacking the pedal's dirt with the amp's dirt. set up your amp with a decent amount of distortion (but less than you'd usually use) and then set up the pedal with some distortion (not too much) and see how they sound together. don't crank the level this time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?