Hey folks,

at the moment I'm thinking about investing into a smaller amp for practicing at home in my room. As i find it hard to orientate in the dozens of low-wattage-amps available, i thought you might possibly give me some advice.

I play rhythm guitar in a band and use my vox valvetronix 50 w amp with a fender telecaster. i really like the amp, but it is way too loud and too big for my small room, also i can't carry it from the basement where we practice to my place every week.

we mostly play indie/alternative rock, everything between Smiths, Decemberists, Modest Mouse, Radiohead and so on. So far the VOX gave me all the sounds i needed, so i'm very content with it.

What I want is a small amp (max. 20 W) to use in my room with my effects pedals and the telecaster. So it doesn't have to have much: Decent sound when played at low volume, decent quality and an affordable price. My budget is max. 200 €, but i'd be happy if i could spend less.

So far I just know the Marshall MG 15 CDR which i owned before the Vox and which sucked.

A friend of mine recommended the Orange Crush PiX 20L, but i've read some bad comments about it's reliabilty, so I'm not quite sure about that.

So: any recommendations where to look, what to try?

Thx in advance!
Try and find a used Peavey Audition 20 (my current practice amp, and I f*cking love it), or, if you need the effects, a used Peavey Vypyr or a Fender Mustang v2.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Jul 20, 2013,
Yamaha THR for sure.

In your case either the "stock" THR5/10 or the THR10C.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Hmm, the yamaha THR looks good. What I dislike a bit about the Peavey Vypyr and the THR are the built-in effects. I will use my external effects pedals anyway, so I would pay for that without making proper use of it..

When looking around I stumbled across this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-ac4tv-4w-1x10-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Does anybody have any experience with that?

Also, does anybody know the Orange Crush?
Quote by william II.
Hmm, the yamaha THR looks good. What I dislike a bit about the Peavey Vypyr and the THR are the built-in effects. I will use my external effects pedals anyway, so I would pay for that without making proper use of it..

When looking around I stumbled across this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-ac4tv-4w-1x10-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Does anybody have any experience with that?

Also, does anybody know the Orange Crush?

The AC4TV will crush the Crush.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by william II.
Hmm, the yamaha THR looks good. What I dislike a bit about the Peavey Vypyr and the THR are the built-in effects. I will use my external effects pedals anyway, so I would pay for that without making proper use of it.

Ah, ok. I thought you used the VT50's effects and somewhat based my suggestion on that. The AC4 is what I would have recommended if you didn't want effects, it's way ahead of the Crush.
Kenneth
Quote by &baconstrips
Ah, ok. I thought you used the VT50's effects and somewhat based my suggestion on that. The AC4 is what I would have recommended if you didn't want effects, it's way ahead of the Crush.

The stomp box effects suck on the Valvetronix, the modulation delay ones are decent. I'm not a reverb guy, so I don't know, but the reverb effects are often spoken of highly.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Does anybody of you own the AC4? Is the quality decent? I read some reviews that said it broke down very easily. I don't know whether I'll have the opportunity to test it here in Germany, so i want to be sure it's decent quality before i have it shipped from the US.
Quote by william II.
Does anybody of you own the AC4? Is the quality decent? I read some reviews that said it broke down very easily. I don't know whether I'll have the opportunity to test it here in Germany, so i want to be sure it's decent quality before i have it shipped from the US.

I had the AC4 stack for a couple of years & it served me well as a practice amp. Sounded great & took pedals well.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Why, may I ask are you having things shipped from the US, which will come with the wrong voltage, when you live in the same country as Europes biggest music shop, Thomann?

What part of Germany do you live in?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Thomann doesnt sell the AC4TV combo as far as i can see. They only sell the AC4 Blue http://www.thomann.de/de/vox_ac4_blue.htm">http://www.thomann.de/de/vox_ac4_blue.htmhttp://www.thomann.de/de/vox_ac4_blue.htm.

The latter doesnt allow to switch the wattage down to less than 4W, i think, and it costs 100 € more - that is why i would go for the AC4TV. Bad thing is, how to get it here with the right voltage and stuff.
You shop around & find other German/European sites. The internet is quite large.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Okay, Gary, I knew that. But I will do exactly as you say, or check out if some music stores around here have the AC4TV to test it myself.
i am a huge proponent of the Roland Cube amps. they don't all have dfx. even so, you don't have to use them. i have the 20xl and can get pretty much any tone i want out of it, from the cleanest jazz to the most brutal grindcore.
steve
I love VOX but not the stuff from China. The AC4TV is made in China, the guts are stapled together. I caused a small fire and caught it in the nick of time. I removed the back and cried. Ok but a mess and never will be normal. A crap 8" speaker. Run away. Go Korean if you can find a low price SS amp.
Quote by kevinpaul
I love VOX but not the stuff from China. The AC4TV is made in China, the guts are stapled together. I caused a small fire and caught it in the nick of time. I removed the back and cried. Ok but a mess and never will be normal. A crap 8" speaker. Run away. Go Korean if you can find a low price SS amp.

Sounds like you just got unlucky. I had the AC4TVH & V112TV cab for a couple of years and had absolutely no problems with it. I've seen AC4s recommended in loads of threads here over the years and that has never been mentioned. At the end of the day, even the best companies screw up from time to time
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud